Search

Choosing FB airline for trip to South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue
Choosing FB airline for trip to South Africa

Hi all,

I am planning a trip from AMS to JNB and then back from CPT to AMS and thought I'd try to get feedback on the few routing options I am considering (I hope this is the forum to do it). All long legs are overnight, I'm FB gold, booking economy:

AMS-JNB
1) Kenya Airways with a short layover in Nairobi
Pros: 787 on both legs, perfect departure time, will try a new airline
Cons: about EUR 100 pricier, not sure what the service level is, probably can't choose seats in advance

2) AF with a managable layover in CDG
Pros: cheaper, can choose seats on upper deck of A380, can have dinner in CDG lounge
Cons: 18.45 departure so will have to leave work early to make it, not a 787

CPT-AMS
1) KLM direct
Pros: direct, can choose seats, KLM
Cons: not sure about the 777, fewer FB XP due to only one leg, pricier (50 EUR)

2) JOON (on the long leg) and AF through CDG
Pros: cheaper, most FB XP ^^
Cons: not sure about JOON (A343) bit of a long layover in CDG

I guess untimately it is mainly about the comfort level on board, which I have no experience with on these metal/airline combos. Therefore - many thanks for any input!

M.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
I would go AF on the way out and KL on the way back. Or if you are very price-sensitive then Joon.
Would save Kenya Airways for another trip where the routing makes more sense.
Enjoy South Africa, it's an amazing country to visit!
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:50 pm

A lot more miles on Kenya airways ...
10 flight with Kenya airways in feb ..all great
Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:37 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Having just taken my first Kenya Airways flight, there is not a lot to see and do in the airport in Nairobi. Although it's brand new, there are only a few overpriced souvenir stores and restaurants. There isn't much to see on the approaches to the airport either. The downtown is miles away and it's a bit of a toss if you can actually see any animals from the nearby game park as you rip by on the final approaches.

I would probably just stick to the non stops and enjoy a longer flight.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:56 am

Can you combine KQ on one way with AF/KL on the other? at least in the past it was only possible on the very expensive fares.
For 50€, I would take the direct flight back any day, unless of course those extra XP makes the difference if you qualify or not
Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I would stick to AF or KL. Not a big fan of changing at 6 AM after an 8 hour flight for another 4 hour flight.

I would also look into 2 other options:

- later AMS to CDG departure at expense of lounge time
- Alitalia
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
I would stick to AF or KL. Not a big fan of changing at 6 AM after an 8 hour flight for another 4 hour flight.

I would also look into 2 other options:

- later AMS to CDG departure at expense of lounge time
- Alitalia
The downside is that Alitalia are not flying to CPT, nor do they offer any connecting domestic flights, so OP is then on his own booking a separate ticket CPT-JNB.
I actually like the KQ flight(s), but would prefer a direct flight when possible.
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Ditto
The downside is that Alitalia are not flying to CPT, nor do they offer any connecting domestic flights
Indeed, and that's a shame. I recently flew to JNB and back on AZ (J award, flight operated by one of their newish 330s) and it was pretty solid (possibly even better now that you can get some decent food at the new lounge in the main concourse and then sleep all the way to JNB on the 10:10PM service ).

G
Old Jun 26, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Having just taken my first Kenya Airways flight, there is not a lot to see and do in the airport in Nairobi. Although it's brand new, there are only a few overpriced souvenir stores and restaurants.
You definitely should have been/visited the older part of the terminal - Prices are a way cheaper and can even be negociated...
The downside is that when one comes back to the newest wing he/she has to go through security again.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
You should choose Kenya Airways anyday as they offer free and magnificient overflights of the stunning Victoria Falls.
* NBO - LVI - CPT: be sure to be seated on the right hand side (and left side for CPT-LVI-NBO)
* NBO - VFA - CPT: Left seats on both sectors
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: FB Plat, Privium
Optionally extend your AMS-JNB leg through NBO with a longer layover. Should be possible at one ticket. Then organise an early morning drive into Nairobi National Park and have yourself dropped off at the airport early evening for your 5 hr flight to JNB. I’m pretty sure you will at least see three of the big five, but recently there are leopards spotted at various places in the park so you might be lucky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.