Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France / Flying Blue - Flying with pets

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Air France / Flying Blue - Flying with pets

I volunteer to transport a lot of animals internationally for various NGO's. Recently, I flew Air France from ORD to BEI with 4 dogs (1 in cabin, 3 underneath checked in storage).

As we all know, Air France recently changed their membership program. Now I received 645 points for each animal in the hold and 403 points for the puppy in the cabin. So, I guess there is at least one thing about the new changes that I like.
kthomas likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
I flew with my own pets in the cabin on KLM without any problems. The cabin staff were excellent. I'm sad that KL no longer accepts pets in their world business class because there isn't any room for their little cages.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
I flew with my own pets in the cabin on KLM without any problems. The cabin staff were excellent. I'm sad that KL no longer accepts pets in their world business class because there isn't any room for their little cages.
I don't know the specifics for KLM, but for most flights, you can bring a dog under 8kg on board in a soft-kennel (Think baby-bjorn or duffel).

Also, I think if your dog is a registered service dog that doesn't nee a kennel you can bring onboard most carriers.

I've found Air France and Lufthansa to be especially hospitable when traveling with animals.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by thatchernobylguy
I volunteer to transport a lot of animals internationally for various NGO's. Recently, I flew Air France from ORD to BEI with 4 dogs (1 in cabin, 3 underneath checked in storage).

As we all know, Air France recently changed their membership program. Now I received 645 points for each animal in the hold and 403 points for the puppy in the cabin. So, I guess there is at least one thing about the new changes that I like.
That's interesting. Bet you have some cool stories to tell.
Do the NGOs pay for your tickets?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HalconBCN
That's interesting. Bet you have some cool stories to tell.
Do the NGOs pay for your tickets?
Oh yes, I have many stories running through BEI or CDG with 8 or 9 dogs trying to make a connection. It really is VOLUNTEERING, but for a good cause.

Many times yes, the NGO will fund an economy ticket, or I will donate my points for the ticket. It is always worth it to see a mission through to the end.
Transpacificflyer and kthomas like this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
AF/KL should really give all pets a platinum card straight away. I want barking all the way from departure to arrival!
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by KLBGO
AF/KL should really give all pets a platinum card straight away. I want barking all the way from departure to arrival!
just for laugh (ADP / ORY)
KLBGO likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by thatchernobylguy
I don't know the specifics for KLM, but for most flights, you can bring a dog under 8kg on board in a soft-kennel (Think baby-bjorn or duffel).

Also, I think if your dog is a registered service dog that doesn't nee a kennel you can bring onboard most carriers.

I've found Air France and Lufthansa to be especially hospitable when traveling with animals.
You still can on KLM but no pets are allowed in Business Class because with their lie flat seats there isn't any room to store their pet carriers. They allow pets in economy only.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:03 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
The question about travelling from IAD to CDG and connecting to NAP has been moved to a new thread, as the subject is about AF policy and operations:

Travelling with dog from IAD to CDG and connecting to NAP

Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
Air France/KLM co-moderator
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: FB Silver, BA Gold; BW Diamond Select, Hilton Diamond
Last September, my wife and I flew AF SFO to CDG with a cat in the hold. We mentioned the cat to the FA upon boarding and she had the ground crew text up a photo of the cage strapped below so we could see it was on board. That was very nice, we had her text the picture to our daughter waiting in Paris. Downside, nobody filled the water dish so the cat was a little dehydrated on arrival. I suggest you ask about that before departure. Overall pleased with the experience, and I get the extra points!
Old Nov 24, 2019, 11:09 pm

Hola! By any chance do you recall the brand/model of the checked in storage kennel transporter you used? I’m flying with my companion dog in couple of months and I’m going crazy trying to pick the best approved kennel

thank you so much!
Old Nov 26, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: FB Silver, BA Gold; BW Diamond Select, Hilton Diamond
Our brand was Sky Kennel. It is a little stressful to make sure the size is appropriate based on the AF specs, be sure to research those requirements. And I assume you have also started the appropriate veterinary paperwork. Good luck.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 12:36 pm

Thank you so much for your answer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.