Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading to La Premiére

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue
Upgrading to La Premiére

Yesterday i flew from JFK to CDG on the AF11. I originally purchased an Y ticket in the K fare class and upgraded after my booking to J by ringing to the Platinum service line by paying 35.000 miles.
At the counter where i delivered my bag, I was asked how many miles I had and was offered to upgrade to La Premiére. Of course I was interested what AF had to offer and 190.000 miles was the offer, according to the agent specially for selected Platinum members.

I was kind of shocked that the amount was so high, because an award ticket sets you back for 200k miles ex taxes (around 300 euro). So in this case I would pay my original Y ticket, 35.000 miles for the upgrade to J and then an additional 190.000 miles from J to F.

I expressed my unbelief to the agent and she showed me a chart where the normal price would be 440.000 (!!) miles to purchase an upgrade from J to F.

It is one thing to ask for these exorbitant high prices but I am not pleased with making a 'special offer for selected Platinum members' that is actually more expensive than purchasing a regular award ticket.

What are your experiences with upgrading to F on AF? I'll fly soon AF long haul again and if the price is a bit reasonable, I might be seduced to upgrade myself.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
#justairfrancethings , this is a case of vote with your 'wallet' and not do it. Might send out an Email to their support underlining your discontent on their crazy 'offer'. All these decisions go by revenue/numbers, if it turns out that their current policy doesn't work and they're pissing off their most frequent flyers enough that it negatively impacts sales numbers, that is usually followed up by investigations what's causing it. Those complaints may pop up in the overall picture eventually.

These prices go hand in hand with the dynamic upgrade pricing they introduced a year ago. Upgrades to business or first are now based on inventory and are often as expensive as the difference on a full flex fare ticket upgrade, but without the miles that come with it.

Let's see what happens when the new awards system goes into effect in May/June
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
From New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017 :
SFO->CDG: $2700
HND->CDG: $3800
CDG->HND: $2350

Mileage upgrades are exorbitant pricing regardless of the class, on most data points. But two times I saw a cheap upgrade possibility that can be done through booking, recent booking I made in P has price difference about $1200 between J and P (SFO-CDG-PRG) one way (booked in advance), so if you want to get your way to P either book it with miles directly or scout some cheap "booking time" price difference.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Sjondorn
From New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017 :
SFO->CDG: $2700
HND->CDG: $3800
CDG->HND: $2350

Mileage upgrades are exorbitant pricing regardless of the class, on most data points. But two times I saw a cheap upgrade possibility that can be done through booking, recent booking I made in P has price difference about $1200 between J and P (SFO-CDG-PRG) one way (booked in advance), so if you want to get your way to P either book it with miles directly or scout some cheap "booking time" price difference.
hardly understandable that HND-CDG costs $1500 more than CDG-HND + that you can’t even enjoy the CDG P lounge.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:41 am

Do AF ever do cheap promotions /sales on la premiere? I've never seen a fare less than 5k which is out of my league. I've even seen BA for 2500.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Japan and France are different markets. Not uncommon in the least that pricing is different on a route depending on which end you start at.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by dsched
Do AF ever do cheap promotions /sales on la premiere? I've never seen a fare less than 5k which is out of my league. I've even seen BA for 2500.
AF P is never "cheap" as they want to price it as an exclusive product, which it is both on the ground and in the air. AF P is way better than BA P
Andy82 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak

hardly understandable that HND-CDG costs $1500 more than CDG-HND + that you can’t even enjoy the CDG P lounge.
Why can’t you enjoy the CDG P lounge on HND-CDG? They don’t let you in if CDG is your final destination?!

Last edited by Sjondorn; Mar 28, 2018 at 2:16 pm
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Sjondorn

Why can’t you enjoy the CDG P lounge on HND-CDG? They don’t let you in if CDG is your final destination?!
No they don't, as this is not an arrival lounge. Only for departing and connecting pax.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by dsched
Last summer they had sub $3500 roundtrip fares from the US to certain cities in Europe for travel during fall and winter. Many of us here took advantage of it I believe.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: Some...
In December they had a $1500 fare...
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by thibderoc
In December they had a $1500 fare...
Which was a mistake fare and tickets eventually got cancelled (or downgraded).
Old Mar 30, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: Some...
Sjondorn, I'm well aware as I booked/got cancelled two of them. That's why I added the

irishguy28 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 6:15 pm

I had a tour booking JFK-CDG-RAK ( Marrakech ) and return. Upgraded with the tour company RT at $US1900. Nov 2017. Upon check in, was offered a one way upgrade to F, 1700 Euros. So glad I did not take the offer. Flight was only 6 hrs 15" long. And the FAs on the flight were just magnificent. Service was polished and welcoming.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by thibderoc
Sjondorn, I'm well aware as I booked/got cancelled two of them. That's why I added the

Is this the infamous Aeromiles saga?? 🤔

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.