Wiki Posts
Search

Country switch. Should I switch to Flying Blue

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Country switch. Should I switch to Flying Blue

I have 120k miles on my Delta sky mikes account.
i still fly to the US once per
year (not always on Delta) but now live in the Netherlands. I will be in NL for at least 8 years or more. I travel a lot within Europe and mostly fly on KLM.
Should I keep using my Delta account or switch to Flying Blue for the European flights? Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
There is absolutely no reason to switch, all the more if you have status with Delta.

AS they are both Skyteam programmes, you will earn miles on most Skyteam flights in either programme. It therefore doesn't make sense to "abandon" your Delta pile, and start filling up a Flying Blue pile, when you have provided no compelling reason to do so.

It is better to keep consolidating your miles in a single account.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by irishguy28
AS they are both Skyteam programmes, you will earn miles on most Skyteam flights in either programme. It therefore doesn't make sense to "abandon" your Delta pile, and start filling up a Flying Blue pile, when you have provided no compelling reason to do so.
Depends.

I used to have OK+ (well I still have it, just not use it).
Most flights I fly now, at least the private ones I tend to buy in advance, I either earn less miles, or no miles at all. No segments either. Of course it will all work out somewhat different very soon with FB with revenue based earnings.

I don't know how it works with Delta SkyMiles, but if it turns out it'd be easier to maintain status in Flying Blue, I'd strongly recommend starting right away and trying to get to silver before end of March.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
While all that you have said is true, the OP is asking solely on the basis of (temporarily) moving country.

And that, of itself, is not reason enough to change programmes.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Well, it was, for me... but then again I wasn't changing from Delta.

Also, 8+ years is IMO more than long enough to consider changing the the program... hey, it's almost enough to get LTPE if one flies a lot!

(lastly, I've just noticed - this is OPs first post - Welcome to FT!)
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Masha Stern Welcome to FT ^

Originally Posted by Masha Stern
I have 120k miles on my Delta sky mikes account.
I still fly to the US once per year (not always on Delta) but now live in the Netherlands.
I will be in NL for at least 8 years or more.
I travel a lot within Europe and mostly fly on KLM.
Should I keep using my Delta account or switch to Flying Blue for the European flights? Thanks!
As above 8 years is enough time to consider a new ffp.
In 8 years time (2026) the frequent flyer(~frequent spender) loyalty programs will not he same a now.

What is the objective from a ffp?

Be mindful of expiry Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.

Look here Which ST program should I sign up for?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
It is multiple things I will consider.
- Did you will flight with airline (or ticket class) where you will receive miles (or more status miles) than with FB.
- Example: - If you flight with Aeroflot, some flight will give you more miles for your account and/or your status with FB, than with SM.
- FB can receive miles (can account for your status also) than Skymiles for some "European" airline.
Whit some airline Skymiles, will give you even nothing (Ukraine Airline).

From my experience and comparaison I have done for myself:

Delta have a more restricted list of partners than FB (this can be at your advantage), and some of this partner give you no additional miles from your medallion status.
Because you are no more US resident (or your main adresses is outside of USA) MQDs will not apply anymore for you.
With the news rules effective 2018-01-01, KLM flight (if you did not buy it with Delta), will be base on distance (not revenue) for Skymiles.

All AF flight are base on distance (if you did not buy it via Delta). (KLM and AF flights, make a HUGE difference in my case, I have "reach" a Diamond level because this difference).

You must really compare both program, each situation is different and can give you big difference, this depend your flight pattern.
I change from FB to SM for most of my European flight.

Also FB will change from a distance to a revenue base (and XP/distance base for status) from 1 April, this can have positive or negative impact for you.

For now... FB have NO choice benefit... AND you can have Comfort+ seat only on TransAtlantic (TA) flight with FB on Delta flight !!! (Be careful about this if you must take other flight than TA with Delta). Depending you medallions status, you can have access to ALL seat+(AF) & Economy comfort (KLM).

Last edited by FBplatinum; Jan 10, 2018 at 4:45 am
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:04 am
Original Poster

I can earn higher status with KLM much easier and faster than Delta. Good news (for me) is that I just used all of my Delta miles to get tickets for a family trip so I will be fully switching to KLM now.. Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Aha.. MQD screwed me over last year actually.. Thanks. This is super helpful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.