Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: irishguy28
Introduction

As you have been following the past thread, the Flying Blue programme will change as of 1 April 2018. In order to split the discussion from the earlier thread, we have created a new thread.

On 6 November Flying Blue has organised a press conference to inform the public about the changes to the programme. In addition, a mailing will be sent out to all members on the 6th and 7th of November and more information can be found on the designated website (link: https://explorefurther.flyingblue.com).

As an introduction, please find a summary of the changes below.

Please note that at the current time there is no difference expected to the benefits of the current tier.

Change 1: no more level miles, no more segments, but Experience Points

As of 1 April 2018 you will no longer earn level miles and segments per flight, but you will earn Experience Points (XP). The number of XP earned per flight depends on your cabin (multiplier times 2 for Premium Economy, 3 for business, 5 for La Premiere) and the type of flight (distinction between domestic, medium haul, long-haul 1/2/3).

For flights between 1 January – 31 March 2018 all earned level miles and segments will be converted into XP (1 segment = 7 XP; 1,000 level miles = 5 XP for members outside France). Please note that the highest conversion applies (it is not cumulative).

The number of XP required per tiers is:
- 100 for Silver;
- 180 for Gold;
- 300 for Platinum;
- 1,800 for Platinum Ultimate (in 2 years).

Please note that for current flyers who qualify on segments based on only intra-EU flights this could see an increase in the number of flights required. However, if you fly a mix if intra-EU and intercontinental (but qualify on segments), this will most likely see a reduction in the number of flights required to qualify.
For elite members, there is a roll-over of all XP above your tier threshold.

The rules for soft-landing have been extended. It is now no longer required to make at least 1 qualifying flight and in case you do not meet your threshold you will only drop one tier.

Change 2: number of miles earned dependent on fare paid (including fuel surcharge)

The number of award miles (for AF/KL/A5) earned is now depending on the fare paid (including fuel surcharge). Ivory members earn 4 miles per Euro, Silver 6, Gold 7 and Platinum 8.

Also earn award miles on AF/KL purchases (relating to seats, baggage and meals) according to the above schedule.

Earnings on partners remains as-is (based on fare class and distance flown).

Change 3: dynamic pricing of award tickets (on AF/KL/HV)

Another change will be that award tickets will have dynamic pricing, e.g. an award AMS-JFK could be more expensive than an award DUS-AMS-JFK. This is also in line with change 2, as flights from AMS are also more expensive than flights from DUS (you also earn more miles).

This also implies that we will see a difference in the number of miles required per flight. For example, an award from continental Europe to continental USA will currently set you back 25,000 miles for a one-way in economy. It does not matter if you fly to LAX or NYC, the number of miles is currently fixed. Under the new proposition, this will change. The cheaper flight (in this example: NYC) will see a slight reduction in the number of miles required, whilst LAX will see a slight increase in the number of miles required.

Furthermore, there will be a standard base level for the number of miles required per destination. As the standard revenue price increases, so does the number of award miles.

Change 4: status valid for 12 months (+ 3 months), personal membership year

FB will be moving away from membership year = calendar year (in case of upgrade of tier). Instead, FB will have an individual membership year. This means that after obtaining the higher tier, you will have 12 months to requalify. Benefit of this is that members are not bound by the calendar year (e.g. members who earn 20,000 level miles in a December of a given year and 20,000 level miles in January of the next year, do not have any benefit of their flights in case limited flights before/after).

I know some will feel that this is a significant downgrade compared to the current – at maximum – 27 months. Please note that based on FB information the majority of members (re)qualify in the last quarter of the year.

In addition, please note that for an Ivory member would like to go obtain Platinum in one year, as it will become more difficult, as (s)he will have to earn each threshold (so not 300 XP in the first year, but (100 + 180 + 300 = 580 XP). This is only applicable in the first year.

Change 5: changes to the co-branded American Express credit cards (FR/NL)

Currently you earn segments and level miles (on AF/KL purchases for Gold and Platinum card holders). This will change that you will receive additional XP when reaching your membership anniversary each year.
Print Wikipost

Upcoming changes to Flying Blue in 2018

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Concerto
I wonder if after these changes there are suddenly going to be, or maybe a bit later, a lot of mileage earning offers similar to IHG Rewards (the points programme of Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza, etc.). While I think we'll be able to work out a number of sweet spots in the earning of XPs I think general mileage earning for flight activities is going to be way down. So they might do something potentially interesting to compensate.

Personally, I am shooting for Gold before the end of March (as I wrote in another thread). I'm up to 18 segments and I have very little time left for making trips and getting 3 days together will be impossible. So one of the trips I am looking at booking is Geneva to Cagliari on AZ (haven't done it yet because it is really difficult juggling a shifting rehearsal schedule and work in the conservatoire). Another is possibly Zurich to Catania (again on AZ) and/or Zurich to Madrid and then some domestic sectors on UX. For example, I found Madrid to Valencia (via Barcelona and Palma) yielding 6 sectors for a round trip for EUR140. The problem for me having the time to do this - this is my busy time of year!!
Geneva to CAG on AZ should give you 4 segments RT because the only normal routing you can find is via FCO. If you want 6 segments, you can actually get it with AFKL - e.g., GVA/ZRH to CDG/AMS to FCO to any minor Italian airport not served directly by AFKL, like CAG. Note that the fares between Switzerland and CAG can be a little expensive though. You might want to stay with your 18 segments before march - that would give you 126 XP, and get a cheap 4-leg O with AF just after April 1, that will give you 60 XP - slightly more than you need to become gold. Example? Any roundtrip like ZRH-CDG-MAD, ZRH-CDG-FCO, etc. They're normally around 400-500 CHF. Example: ZRH-MAD in O with AF , 7/8 of April, 476 CHF at the moment.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Thank you. I was indeed able to see the taxes breakdown on Saudia and KLsites. No YQ for medium-haul it seems.
I checked also another business trip (booked through the OTA used by my company) and it's impossible in this case to see the fare breakdown, because booked by an OTA (even if it's all AFKL flights). Unbelievable how complicated it is to know a simple info : how many miles I will earn ?
For every ticket I've booked via an OTA, I can go to KL.com and view the payment breakdown although it takes a few hours typically from making payment to the ticket being visible on KL.com. Before that I can view the itinerary with the PNR, but baggage allowance (and payment details) isn't visible till ticketing is complete.

However, I always get the warm feeling of seeing the 'total paid' on KL.com being usually EUR 25 more than what I actually paid
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Andy82
Just a thing... Did you try with the e-ticket(s) as well, on saudia website? Sometimes you get a different view, in some cases just the itinerary though.
No I didn't try as I got the info I was looking for with the PNR#.

It has been a long time that I didn't check a flight booked by an OTA.
If you can contact your company's OTA directly, you should be able to get an e-ticket + Passenger itinerary receipt that normally is just a long report in monospace font, like the one you get if you ever booked a flight with the Platinum Service line.
The trip I looked at is for this coming week, so not concerned by the new rules. So I don't need to contact the OTA. But I just wanted to look if I could access to the info, thinking about the future. Now that I remember on previous ticket, it's quite often that I was not seeing the fare on the e-ticket as for corporate fares, it often shows something like "CORP FARE / FORFAIT / NON ENDOS".

Originally Posted by Solevita
For every ticket I've booked via an OTA, I can go to KL.com and view the payment breakdown although it takes a few hours typically from making payment to the ticket being visible on KL.com. Before that I can view the itinerary with the PNR, but baggage allowance (and payment details) isn't visible till ticketing is complete.
For the trip I looked for, it is ticketed for several days already but no info was accessible neither on SV nor on KL sites. KL was saying that the information was not available and that it was needed to contact the travel agent who booked the ticket.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Geneva to CAG on AZ should give you 4 segments RT because the only normal routing you can find is via FCO. If you want 6 segments, you can actually get it with AFKL - e.g., GVA/ZRH to CDG/AMS to FCO to any minor Italian airport not served directly by AFKL, like CAG. Note that the fares between Switzerland and CAG can be a little expensive though. You might want to stay with your 18 segments before march - that would give you 126 XP, and get a cheap 4-leg O with AF just after April 1, that will give you 60 XP - slightly more than you need to become gold. Example? Any roundtrip like ZRH-CDG-MAD, ZRH-CDG-FCO, etc. They're normally around 400-500 CHF. Example: ZRH-MAD in O with AF , 7/8 of April, 476 CHF at the moment.
Interesting suggestion and very tempting, with all the obligations I've got around this period. The reason I am shooting for Gold before April is that I think I will have it for 2 years, from what I've understood after reading other threads. If I qualify using the route you suggest, then I will have it for only 1 year. Of course, it is possible that I am completely wrong about the 2 years of Gold, so this is going to be a gamble. If I can get my bookings in now, it will cost me about EUR450 to get there (12 segments needed). BTW the ZRH-CTA route was going for as little as EUR135 on AZ (O-class).
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:51 am

Interesting suggestion and very tempting, with all the obligations I've got around this period. The reason I am shooting for Gold before April is that I think I will have it for 2 years, from what I've understood after reading other threads. If I qualify using the route you suggest, then I will have it for only 1 year. Of course, it is possible that I am completely wrong about the 2 years of Gold, so this is going to be a gamble. If I can get my bookings in now, it will cost me about EUR450 to get there (12 segments needed). BTW the ZRH-CTA route was going for as little as EUR135 on AZ (O-class).
Oh so you're aiming for a total of 30 segments before April 1 - nice - then in that case for what we know about the current rules yeah, you'll be gold for 2 years, hopefully. So you either take 2 r/t of 6 segments total, or 3 4-segments. ZRH-CTA though is 'just' 4 segments rt, right?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, I'm twisting and turning with it. I'm finding it very very hard to match up any free time, including taking time off or cancelling rehearsals, with the most reasonable fares. In expedia you have to specify the airline (one of the ST carriers) each time, otherwise it quotes fares with an outbound on AZ and in inbound on many other carriers including U2, but not Skyteam. Ideally two 4-segment trips down to CAG and CTA along with a 4-segment trip to MAD (or similar in Spain). Or, one 4-segment trip to CAG/CAT and a 2-segment trip (on UX) from ZRH to MAD, followed by a run on UX while I'm there.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: KL Plat
Actually, I'm twisting and turning with it. I'm finding it very very hard to match up any free time, including taking time off or cancelling rehearsals, with the most reasonable fares. In expedia you have to specify the airline (one of the ST carriers) each time, otherwise it quotes fares with an outbound on AZ and in inbound on many other carriers including U2, but not Skyteam. Ideally two 4-segment trips down to CAG and CTA along with a 4-segment trip to MAD (or similar in Spain). Or, one 4-segment trip to CAG/CAT and a 2-segment trip (on UX) from ZRH to MAD, followed by a run on UX while I'm there.
Have you tried Skyscanner(.ch/de/it....) You can choose only Skyteam there, and it seems when you (or at least I) click through to OTAs via skyscanner, the fare is a little lower than going direct to the OTA.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:57 pm

I would actually suggest to search with Matrix - ITA Software by Google - with advanced routing codes, you can select specific airlines (like AZ or UX) or connections (FCO).
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:28 am

Note that the fares between Switzerland and CAG can be a little expensive though.
On average, they are possibly the cheapest (down to 120 quid at times) you can get and throughout the whole year, reason why it was previously suggested on the other thread (i.e. mileage runs).

G
Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
On average, they are possibly the cheapest (down to 120 quid at times) you can get and throughout the whole year, reason why it was previously suggested on the other thread (i.e. mileage runs).

G
Yes, I'm with you on this one and I'm going to make a booking. I'm just trying to get the other flights sorted out (two nested trips to BUD, VIE or MAD). I think, from my point of view, two nested trips (to get the benefit of lower prices offered by Sunday/3 night rule) is the solution that works the best. I just don't have time to sit in Madrid for 3 days doing multi sector runs on AirEuropa: those sometimes take a whole day to reach the final destination requiring, to be safe, a 3 night stay in Madrid (and elsewhere in Spain, wherever AirEuropa takes me to).

By the way, I found ZRH-CTA pretty cheap on certain days, as low as EUR133 round trip. Sorry if I already mentioned that. Also, I found that an OJ trip to Madrid on AF with start-point in BSL and end-point in GVA came in also at EUR133. My problem is that the internally nested ticket back from MAD to Switzerland was surprisingly expensive.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: Flying Blue
I just made a booking for June 2018 with AF/KL from BLL via AMS and CDG to JFK and back via CDG to BLL in Y, so 5 segments in total. I was delighted to see i will get 35 XP, so 3 x 5 XP for the short haul segments and 2 x 10 XP for the long haul segments. So now, it is easier for me to maintain my Platinum status.

But when i looked at the amount of miles, i will be earning only 2.611 award miles. I know i bought a cheap fare, 402 euro's for this trip, but still, 2611 miles is so far from what it used to be, i think the amount of miles has been decreased with at least 50%. Is this correct?

Do i see this in the right perspective to assume that it is worthwhile to earn the old amount of award miles before 1 april with a mile age run on Skyteam long haul flights?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
As there now appears to be a parallel conversation in progress, could I suggest that all further discussion of mileage runs - whether theoretical, practical, or otherwise - be done in the other thread?

Mileage run suggestions please

Thanks!
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: FB Platinum | A3 Gold | BA Silver
Originally Posted by Thijs Luyt
I just made a booking for June 2018 with AF/KL from BLL via AMS and CDG to JFK and back via CDG to BLL in Y, so 5 segments in total. I was delighted to see i will get 35 XP, so 3 x 5 XP for the short haul segments and 2 x 10 XP for the long haul segments. So now, it is easier for me to maintain my Platinum status.

But when i looked at the amount of miles, i will be earning only 2.611 award miles. I know i bought a cheap fare, 402 euro's for this trip, but still, 2611 miles is so far from what it used to be, i think the amount of miles has been decreased with at least 50%. Is this correct?

Do i see this in the right perspective to assume that it is worthwhile to earn the old amount of award miles before 1 april with a mile age run on Skyteam long haul flights?
Normally you would have earned 25% of the flown distance or minimum miles per segment which would add to about 2.377 miles. Add to that your Platinum bonus of 100% and it is 4.754 miles.
Now you are earning 2.611 award miles meaning your base fare without fees/taxes but including airline surcharges costs 325.37 euro's. This is assuming that the calculator is working correctly... which I think it is because 80 euro's in fees/taxes seems to be correct.

As reported earlier in this thread. In some cases the new system works out so you earn more miles and in some cases you will earn less miles. All in all we hope it averages out.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Thank you for your explanation.

I dont see in what cases you’d earn more compared to the old system? It’s easier to maintain status but much more difficult to earn award miles?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
As there now appears to be a parallel conversation in progress, could I suggest that all further discussion of mileage runs - whether theoretical, practical, or otherwise - be done in the other thread?

Mileage run suggestions please

Thanks!
It’s my fault Irishguy28, because of my dithering I’ve been posting all over the place without being careful enough about using the right thread. On the subject of the upcoming changes, I do wonder if there will be a number of lucrative mileage promotions in view of the slimmer earnings under the new system, like what we regularly see with the hotel schemes. Certainly, if they want to reduce their liability they’re going the right way about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.