FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upcoming changes to Flying Blue in 2018
View Single Post
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:19 am
foxtwo

Programs: FB Platinum | A3 Gold | BA Silver
Originally Posted by Thijs Luyt
I just made a booking for June 2018 with AF/KL from BLL via AMS and CDG to JFK and back via CDG to BLL in Y, so 5 segments in total. I was delighted to see i will get 35 XP, so 3 x 5 XP for the short haul segments and 2 x 10 XP for the long haul segments. So now, it is easier for me to maintain my Platinum status.

But when i looked at the amount of miles, i will be earning only 2.611 award miles. I know i bought a cheap fare, 402 euro's for this trip, but still, 2611 miles is so far from what it used to be, i think the amount of miles has been decreased with at least 50%. Is this correct?

Do i see this in the right perspective to assume that it is worthwhile to earn the old amount of award miles before 1 april with a mile age run on Skyteam long haul flights?
Normally you would have earned 25% of the flown distance or minimum miles per segment which would add to about 2.377 miles. Add to that your Platinum bonus of 100% and it is 4.754 miles.
Now you are earning 2.611 award miles meaning your base fare without fees/taxes but including airline surcharges costs 325.37 euro's. This is assuming that the calculator is working correctly... which I think it is because 80 euro's in fees/taxes seems to be correct.

As reported earlier in this thread. In some cases the new system works out so you earn more miles and in some cases you will earn less miles. All in all we hope it averages out.