Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Last year when I was doing OLCI for my flight IAD-CDG, I could have upgraded into J. When choosing a seat in the Y cabine, there were a couple J seats available and that's where I got the price of 549€ or 77 k mls. I didn't get a proactive email the days before, I just saw it during check-in.

Now that I think of it, a lot of my intra-Europe flights are this way too- no advance mail. The seat map shows open Y and J seats, and prices the J selection accordingly.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:59 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Goldorak

What you wrote for “before OLCI” seems correct to me, except I am not 100% sure for the award chart and for the independance from the booked fare. The upgrade with miles is still very obscure to me and to everyone I think, but I am quite certain it does now depend on the booked fare with the dynamic pricing scheme.

For paid upgrade at OLCI, it has to be proposed to you during OLCI or you can also return to the booking to check seats (as if you wanted to change seat after having done OLCI). If not proposed at that step :
- you can call AF
- you can ask at ticketing, airport check-in, customer service desk or at the lounge (not if it is a contract lounge, of course).

Status doesn’t influence availability (except for Ultimates). Availability and price depend on :
- number of seats available in the upper cabin
- if you have already benefited recently from a similar offer
- dynamic pricing policy may indeed apply, but it’s hard to know clearly its impact versus previous factors listed
Hello Goldorak and San Gottardo,

(Bolding is mine).

My knowledge and experience is that before OLCI we still have the fixed upgrade scheme, based on availability of the upper class (A, O, F), the original booking fare and the route of course. So not a dynamic pricing based on demand, unless I am mistaken.

During OLCI, or if I understand correctly, at T-48 (where checkin is open in the systems but not for the pax), the dynamic pricing applies. Whilst I concur with the parameters highlighted by Goldorak, cannot prove it however.

There is also the third option which is to upgrade at the physical check-in with a combination from 100% cash to 100% miles. Prices vary everyday and are not dependent on original fare class as already highlighted by flyingjapans. Also it is a first comes first serves basis.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Klems
OK, I think I just got my most ridiculous OLCI upgrade offers ever. JFK to CDG tomorrow in economy on the A380:
$659.43 to Premium Economy and...
$1932.61 to Business .

What. The. Hell. I'll go ask at the airport as well to see what they have in store and maybe get another good laugh.
For what it's worth, I've been quoted the exact same prices at the airport when I asked. Oh well .
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Was offered USD 1959 for upgrade from Business to Premiere on JFK-CDG during OLCI. Alternatively, 244,000 miles (which is odd as the award ticket costs only 200,000, and that is without having paid a Business class ticket before).

This and a very high percentage of flights where I was in Euro-Y and offered an upgrade to C belie the hypothesis that only non-frequent customers get an offer.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:58 pm

For what it's worth, I've been quoted the exact same prices at the airport when I asked. Oh well .
Ridiculous pricing. AF really have no idea what they're doing when it comes to pricing things.
Klems likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
This and a very high percentage of flights where I was in Euro-Y and offered an upgrade to C belie the hypothesis that only non-frequent customers get an offer.
Agreed .I think somebody mentioned it in the past, but next time I'll use an alternate email address and won't enter my FB number until check in to see what happens... Might be a while though since most of my upcoming travel is already booked .
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by mlin32
Now that I think of it, a lot of my intra-Europe flights are this way too- no advance mail. The seat map shows open Y and J seats, and prices the J selection accordingly.
Same for me. Never any email in advance for medium-haul but I see the offer during OLCI.
Long-haul, I receive an e-mail most of the times (when I am targeted).
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:16 pm

Just got on the phone with Flying Blue US for an upgrade on AF from SFO to CDG on Feb 3rd, quoted 35000 miles from Y to J, took it.
Also got quoted 45000 for the return flight on Feb 15th. Declined as it's not a red eye.
Not sure if being Platinum helps getting better upgrade offers.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
When do people that are targeted receive the email? 48H before departure?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by jejenone
Just got on the phone with Flying Blue US for an upgrade on AF from SFO to CDG on Feb 3rd, quoted 35000 miles from Y to J, took it.
Also got quoted 45000 for the return flight on Feb 15th. Declined as it's not a red eye.
Not sure if being Platinum helps getting better upgrade offers.
35K is good indeed. Can we ask you what was your fare code ?
Platinum doesn't grant you better upgrade deals, AFAIK.

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
When do people that are targeted receive the email? 48H before departure?
it's usually at H-30, when OLCI opens.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:46 am

OK, I think I just got my most ridiculous OLCI upgrade offers ever. JFK to CDG tomorrow in economy on the A380:
$659.43 to Premium Economy and...
$1932.61 to Business .

What. The. Hell. I'll go ask at the airport as well to see what they have in store and maybe get another good laugh.
Just to wrap this up, but after getting the same price at the airport, it turns out that the flight was empty for the most part, which makes those prices all the more infuriating. It was so empty in fact, that most people in Y like me had a whole row to themselves so I was very happy with my four seats row aka the poor man business class. Even better than business on the A380, no toboggan .
The hilarious part is that some people from premium economy even came to the back to enjoy a bed for most of the flight (but who can blame them when they have to ride the infamous PE seat for over 6 hours) .
Xizm and fifty_two like this.

Last edited by Klems; Jan 24, 2019 at 8:21 am
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:33 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Just to wrap this up, but after getting the same price at the airport, it turns out that the flight was empty for the most part, which makes those prices all the more infuriating. It was so empty in fact, that most people in Y like me had a whole row to themselves so I was very happy with my four seats row aka the poor man business class. Even better than business on the A380, no toboggan .
same story while going to DXB or PTP
Klems likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

LIS-CDG (Y to J): € 99. Took it.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: AF/KL Platinum, TK *G, BA Silver
AMS - NBO £880 or 71,000
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by tomauk
AMS - NBO £880 or 71,000
Was that on KL or KQ?
KQ used to have (might still have) a fixed price of around 750€ IIRC, or pay the fare difference to a booking class you can upgrade from (if needed) and then some odd 30K or 35K miles

Edit: seems like now all booking classes on KQ are eligible https://www.flyingblue.co.za/assets/...?target=_blank

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.