Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2022, 7:57 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by Wildwoody
Thanks for the insight. They insisted that cash wasn’t an option. I’ll have to try back.
Do not say "upgrade". Say "upfare" or "change".

It will be the effective equivalent of canceling your booking and rebooking.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Originally Posted by BobTL
difficult to say. Depends on how many seats they will sell in cash before departure.
when there are seats left you will get a miles/cash offer upon online checking in. This will highly likely be more than 60.000 miles looking at this thread. Depends on your history of taking advantage of such offer, your fare class on the Y ticket and timing. The longer you wait after OLCI taking the offer, the more likely it will increase in price. I haven’t seen any reports of the price getting lower after the first OLCI offer.

So there is no chance to see an upgrade availability before OLCI? That was basically my question.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Gulbra
NDPU. No Discount on Paid Upgrades
NDPU: Nasty, Demanding Passenger - UPGRADE!!!!

(with apologies to @offvoice, whose reputation I do not wish to besmirch

Goldorak, Wil973 and offvoice like this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Keter
So there is no chance to see an upgrade availability before OLCI? That was basically my question.
Like I said: it is difficult to say. It depends on how many J seats they are selling. At the moments the load factor is high, especially in J on premium routes so I wouldn’t count on it.
You can always chose to change your ticket and pay the fare difference. That will be a costly affair.
It is quite simple: if you want to fly J you will have to pay for it and not hope for a cheap miles offer once you booked Y. It just doesn’t work like that in these times where cabins are nearly always fully booked.
hhdl likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 1:10 pm

Programs: Flying Blue - Platinum
AMS-DUS €59
DUS-AMS €59

€2 per minute in the air, with 30 and 50 seats respectively taken, I passed
Old Jul 31, 2022, 10:11 am

New to FB. Wondering if anyone had data points. Flying DEN-CDG on Friday. Booked Premium Economy tickets with miles. Any idea on what the upgrade offer would be? Should I check the Inventory thread? I’m use to $800+ offers on AA for 3 hour domestic flights
Old Jul 31, 2022, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by runnigel
New to FB. Wondering if anyone had data points. Flying DEN-CDG on Friday. Booked Premium Economy tickets with miles. Any idea on what the upgrade offer would be? Should I check the Inventory thread? I’m use to $800+ offers on AA for 3 hour domestic flights
Normally TATL flights are in that price range from Y to J however there are reports of 1.200 EUR for JFK-CDG, also from Y to J.
There seems to be quite a good availability on the AF641 so maybe you are lucky and score a deal that’s is less than 500 USD.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 12:23 am

Thanks BobTL. I’ll report back if we get an offer. Tickets were only 40k one-way so we don’t have a lot invested.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 4:58 am
Used to be mmsteidl

Programs: AA PLAT for life, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
where did you accept the offer? online-checkin, airport-checkin, lounge, gate or on the plane?
Sorry for the late reply. It was online checkin.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 6:40 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I am trying to purchase my upgrade online, but the website is not allowing me to get to the payment screen. It lets me select the seat just fine. It says to call. The agent is telling me that it can only be done online or at the airport 4 hours before check in.

Is there a way around this? I’d be happy in Premium Economy or Business and am happy to give them my $$s.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 7:51 am

JFK - ORY. $800 per person. I didn't know taxes and fees would be $300. took it anyway. Thanks to everyone in the thread for helping me figure this out. Did this at airport check in. No offer in OLCI. (cross posted to the OLCI buyup thread)
af fp likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Does anyone at all get a possibility to upgrade for miles on paid tickets nowadays - before OLCI starts? Curious.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 5:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I'm looking at upcoming flights YUL - CDG. As a Delta Platinum Medallion (based outside US), for mileage earning does it make a difference whether I book with AF or DL flight numbers? And in addition to that, if I wanted to pay for an upgrade from Premium Economy to Business (obviously subject to availability) on an Air France flight, does it make a difference what the flight number is (AF/DL)? Work policy is book into PE, but can upgrade into business within a threshold.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 6:08 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by c1223
I'm looking at upcoming flights YUL - CDG. As a Delta Platinum Medallion (based outside US), for mileage earning does it make a difference whether I book with AF or DL flight numbers?
I assume flight is operated by AF . The answer to your question is yes , same booking code might grant you different amount of MQM , depending if your flight is AF or DL coded

Originally Posted by c1223
And in addition to that, if I wanted to pay for an upgrade from Premium Economy to Business (obviously subject to availability) on an Air France flight, does it make a difference what the flight number is (AF/DL)? Work policy is book into PE, but can upgrade into business within a threshold.
It most likely can make a difference
c1223 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 6:40 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by fifty_two
I assume flight is operated by AF . The answer to your question is yes , same booking code might grant you different amount of MQM , depending if your flight is AF or DL coded.
MQM should be the same (unlikely to be more than +/- 10%, probably) for either.

MQD could be dramatically different, since a DL code will tend to be based on actual fare dollars while an AF code will be a proportion (depending on fare class) of distance. In general, it'll be better to get an AF code on a relatively cheaper fare and a DL code on a relatively more expensive fare.
c1223 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.