Wiki Posts
Search

Another downgrade of benefits for FB Silver

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Thumbs down Another downgrade of benefits for FB Silver

And yes, another downgrade and which concern all Skyteam Elites (not only FB Silver) travelling on AF/KL

From 5th january 2016, no more access to several SkyPriority services :
- priority bags
- priority lines at immigration and security
- priority desk at ticketing desk landside and connection desks airside

But, to make it simple there are some exceptions :
- Elite pax travelling in Premium Economy & Economy Flex + Economy (Y, B, M fares) on AF medium-haul (Europe) will still have access to full Sky Priority services.

Elite members will still have access to the following priority services :
- priority check-in / bag drop-off counters
- use of P2 jetway and priority line at security in AMS hall 2 (no idea what is this P2 jetway ?? may be I'm translating it badly : in French they say "Passerelle P2").
- Priority boarding after other eligible SkyP pax and before Y class pax (this will be a big mess to organize that !)
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
- use of P2 jetway and priority line at security in AMS hall 2 (no idea what is this P2 jetway ?? may be I'm translating it badly : in French they say "Passerelle P2").
It's a direct entry from the parking to the secure part of the airport, accessible only to certain guests.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:46 pm

I don't necessarily see this as a bad move: let's face it, 15 flights to get those benefits is just a joke. I am not going to go down the route of If I was in charge I would... etc., but the current qualifying terms would do with a review (or two) - starting perhaps from increasing to 40 or even 50 flights the current threshold for Gold (probably, then, the Crown Lounge would no longer look like the New York Stock Exchange and the catering could also be improved, making the food at least look like something that could be compatible with an average person's stomach...).

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Dec 16, 2015 at 2:54 pm
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:08 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I'm glad I just made gold!
Priority lines at immigration and security was basically gone for ST Elites with the introduction of SkyPriority, but from time to time, AF agents were nice and allowed Elites to go through. Priority bags were also hit or miss. FB Silvers / Elites were also excluded from the big SkyPriority check-in area long time ago (as mentioned in other threads), however, general check-in areas still had a special queue for Silvers / Elites (Which I hope they keep).

I think the only real change will be the ticketing/transfer desk priority.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 4:09 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
And yes, another downgrade and which concern all Skyteam Elites (not only FB Silver) travelling on AF/KL

From 5th january 2016, no more access to several SkyPriority services :
- priority bags
- priority lines at immigration and security
- priority desk at ticketing desk landside and connection desks airside
Oh well ! I guess in two years the same thing will occur for gold !

Anyway , except priority lines at immigration when airport is really crowded like CDG , i dont really see the difference. half of the time the agents dont attach the the priority tag on my luggages , and even when they do it doesnt make a huge difference , often normal pax get their luggages before those with skypriority benefits

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
I don't necessarily see this as a bad move: let's face it, 15 flights to get those benefits is just a joke.
The equivalent for OW and SA don't even get half of useful benefits as silver in ST.

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
I am not going to go down the route of If I was in charge I would... etc., but the current qualifying terms would do with a review (or two) - starting perhaps from increasing to 40 or even 50 flights the current threshold for Gold (probably, then, the Crown Lounge would no longer look like the New York Stock Exchange and the catering could also be improved, making the food at least look like something that could be compatible with an average person's stomach...).
The thresholds of FB are maybe the lowest and less complicated of all ST alliance, but i guess as they are leading no one complains , by looking at the way things goes with AK/KL i guess other downgrades should be expected , but no real improvements

Originally Posted by SDQBound
I'm glad I just made gold!
Priority lines at immigration and security was basically gone for ST Elites with the introduction of SkyPriority, but from time to time, AF agents were nice and allowed Elites to go through. Priority bags were also hit or miss. FB Silvers / Elites were also excluded from the big SkyPriority check-in area long time ago (as mentioned in other threads), however, general check-in areas still had a special queue for Silvers / Elites (Which I hope they keep).

I think the only real change will be the ticketing/transfer desk priority.
In CDG i was using my amex gold and most of the time it worked for security line !

Last edited by fifty_two; Dec 16, 2015 at 4:22 pm
Old Dec 16, 2015, 7:09 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Am happy

Not to be selfish, but I am glad of this change. I find it rather funny these days how many passengers with Silver accessing everything making the non-SkyPriority lane much shorter.

I wish that they would go further and remove the Priority boarding instead of the ticketing counter benefit from Elite members and just keep them for Elite+ members especially now it seems every one is a priority passenger.

Hopefully now with the removal of the Priority luggage, this will make Priority luggage really work - currently seeing how many of those bags are with the Yellow Labels is a joke.

Keeping the benefits to the minimal for passengers who fly less than 20 flights a year does sound logical as the other alliances do keep them minimal especially StarAlliance.

At least an enhancement that will benefit the real frequent flyer.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Quite ridiculous, what's left of silver benefits now?? (I'm saying that as platinum so have no stakes in the game or rather should welcome fewer people getting 'my' benefits)
Old Dec 16, 2015, 11:51 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Lots of extra miles
Old Dec 17, 2015, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Quite ridiculous, what's left of silver benefits now?? (I'm saying that as platinum so have no stakes in the game or rather should welcome fewer people getting 'my' benefits)
Like you, as a Platinum member, I'm not concerned by those changes and there will be some positive effects for Elite + pax if the SkyP lines are shorter and if there are less priority bags. But I have some sympathy for our Silver friends and as you say : the benefits remaining are pretty slim. What's the point of calling this "Elite" ?
They should rather increase the number of segments required for the status (while keeping the same thresholds in status miles), because a big part of the problem lays here (too easy to qualify by segments).
Old Dec 17, 2015, 12:59 am

Programs: FB, SPG, AccorHotels, Hertz, Avis
- Priority boarding after other eligible SkyP pax and before Y class pax (this will be a big mess to organize that !)
My favourite, so when Boarding the A380 from CDG to JNB next time, they will now have to sort People into 4 Queues:
1. Business class Pax
2. E+ pax in Y
3. E Pax in Y
4. all other Pax

The three Queues System was already wicked, especially as they often manage to signpost contradictive signs for SkyPriority and regular Boarding.

Natcho
Old Dec 17, 2015, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fifty_two
In CDG i was using my amex gold and most of the time it worked for security line !
How much do they charge, and do you need a PIN or can you just sign?

Do they also accept cash?

Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Quite ridiculous, what's left of silver benefits now??
the benefits remaining are pretty slim. What's the point of calling this "Elite" ?
While I agree with you that this is an unwelcome downgrading, nonetheless I think that this is rather excessive it to call it "ridiculous." The first rung of the elite ladder on most programmes tends to be pretty basic in terms of benefits, with additional miles and priority check-in being the main ones with one free (additional) item of baggage being a common one. FB Silver, even after those changes, does not strike me as being wildly out of line with equivalent status on many other programmes.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:15 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
How much do they charge, and do you need a PIN or can you just sign?

Do they also accept cash?

Lol ! iam loaded with money so i just give them tips

Last edited by fifty_two; Dec 17, 2015 at 9:21 am
Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by fifty_two
Lol ! iam loaded with money so i just give them tips

Brilliant - in that case you are more than welcome to get the final bill for the Warsaw do, including hotel stays (no worries - we will still pay for public transport ourselves). I will update the Wiki accordingly

G
Old Dec 17, 2015, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Moved (OT)

Last edited by irishguy28; Dec 17, 2015 at 10:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.