Wiki Posts
Search

Last seat redemption for F award on AF

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
Last seat redemption for F award on AF

Hi, I'm trying to book a special F seat on AF via Flying Blue. in our case, the # miles is not an issue / part of the equation, so lets forget about the mileage cost. landing the miles F ticket is the goal.

we are currently holding the last F seat as a revenue ticket (refundable). my question is -- if we cancel our current ticket -- will we be able to turn around and book that newly opened ticket as an F flex award ticket?

few issues:
1) AF doesnt oversell F i presume? hence any F cancelled seat will go back into inventory?

2) Are we sure that any last seat in F is redeemable as a flex F miles ticket?

3) how strict is Flying Blue in requiring elite status to book F seats? many people who arent elites have booked it, but many have been blocked too.

clarification welcome on all above points. THANKS!!!
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by epiding
2) Are we sure that any last seat in F is redeemable as a flex F miles ticket?
You cannot guarantee that. If there really are no F seats left on your flight, I would expect that AF would prefer to keep the seat that you want to release available for purchase rather than making it available for redemption. Even if the seat remained unsold and they did eventually open up one redeemable seat closer to departure, you have absolutely no way of knowing if and when this might happen (it certainly will not be instantaneously after you cancel your revenue ticket!!!).

The fact that the flight is currently sold out (according to what you've written) makes me suspect that they will not even consider making your seat available for redemption should you release it - it's already a busy cabin, so they can probably hold out for a cash buyer, and not be upset if it doesn't sell. (It can always be offered as an upgrade offer to some lucky J customer just before departure, a more appealing prospect for AF than making it available for a miles redemption)

By the way, F seats are only ever available as Flex awards.

3) how strict is Flying Blue in requiring elite status to book F seats? many people who arent elites have booked it, but many have been blocked too.
We have NEVER heard of anyone who was not FB Silver or above having booked redemption seats in La Première (with the exception of the one-off featuring of La Première in some of the PromoAward offers last June). If you have - please, provide the proof!

If you hold only Ivory FB status - then you can simply forget about booking a La Première award.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...on-status.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...mbers-non.html

Last edited by irishguy28; Feb 4, 2014 at 9:07 am
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
There ARE non Elites who have booked F awards. Check out One mile at a times TR on Air France La Premiere on Boardingarea.com.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:48 am
Original Poster

yeah Lucky (Ben S.) at One Mile at a Time has successfully booked F miles tickets via calling the French Flying Blue line in France, rather than using the US call center.

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...t-class-award/
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
There ARE non Elites who have booked F awards. Check out One mile at a times TR on Air France La Premiere on Boardingarea.com.
I did a search and found these two articles - are these the ones you meant? It looks like you have commented in the second one of them.

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...angeles-paris/
http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...d-trip-report/

Nowhere is it stated whether the guy in question has FB Elite status or not.

Originally Posted by lucky
@ Ralph — Are you sure that’s still the case? My friend that informed me of this just booked one and isn’t an Air France elite, apparently.

December 9th, 2013 at 11:15 am

32 lucky said,

@ Ridahh — While you no longer have to be a Flying Blue elite member to book Air France first class, my understanding is that they don’t release this space to partner airlines unfortunately. So it’s not bookable via SkyPass.

December 9th, 2013 at 11:33 am

33 Ralph said,

I double checked with AF and they say you have to be an Elite. Check your twitter

I wouldn't take that as incontrivertible proof that an Ivory managed to book a La Première seat. The guy writing isn't the guy that travelled - and he doesn't know what status the traveller holds (or even if the traveller actually booked the ticket themself, it could have been booked by someone else who is an FB Elite).

The issue of whether Ivories can book La Première is one that pops up repeatedly here in the FB section of Flyer Talk, and in all the years I have been here not one person has reported being able to do so.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yeah Lucky (Ben S.) at One Mile at a Time has successfully booked F miles tickets via calling the French Flying Blue line in France, rather than using the US call center.

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...t-class-award/
OK.

If Ivories are supposed to be able to book Flex F awards, then he should have been able to do this online using the FB tool.....

Can any Ivories reading this try a mock booking of an F itinerary using the FB booking tool? (Is it possible to search for a flight that you don't have enough miles for, though???)

I'm surprised that any of the agents would engage for so long with someone that doesn't have the required number of miles in their account (prior to the Amex MR transfer) and I'm even more surprised that such transfers went through immediately.

All agents in North America said that Ivories can't book, and at least one in France said that Ivories can't book.

I'm not saying this guy wasn't able to book it - but then, his name is apparently "lucky". We know that phone agents can book things that are not strictly allowed by the rules (see the RTW thread, and see earlier thread about booking a one-way on AR before this was allowed) so I am not entirely convinced yet that FB rules now allow Ivories to book La Première.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Online, I am not able to so you'd have to try by phone.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: skymiles
AF La Premiere awards are FLEX and still only for FB elites or for miles coming from an FB elite account.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:48 am
Original Poster

worst case, anyone with an AF FB elite account willing to let me borrow their account to book the F miles flight? (i'd transfer in the necessary AMEX MR points to your account). can add a tip too.

but my first problem is deciding whether to cancel the revenue ticket to reopen 1 seat.... and whether that seat can be redeemed as a FLEX miles ticket.... ummmmm?

Last edited by epiding; Feb 4, 2014 at 10:53 am
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
but my first problem is deciding whether to cancel the revenue ticket to reopen 1 seat.... and whether that seat can be redeemed as a FLEX miles ticket.... ummmmm?
Whether to cancel is something you have to decide. Whether that seat will be reopened - smart people above answered that there is no certainty about this, but in all likelihood, AF would not release it for a busy route.

Your call.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

worst case, anyone with an AF FB elite account willing to let me borrow their account to book the F miles flight? (i'd transfer in the necessary AMEX MR points to your account). can add a tip too.
Are you even sure it's possible to transfer Amex MR points to a Flying Blue account other than your own? Your Amex MR account has to be linked with your FB account. I don't think you would be able to link to an account held in someone else's name.

Last edited by irishguy28; Feb 4, 2014 at 12:08 pm
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Are you even sure it's possible to transfer Amex MR points to a Flying Blue account other than your own? Your Amex MR account has to be linked with your FB account. I don't think you would be able to link to an account held in someone else's name.
AMEX MR is well known that it can transfer points to miles in anyone's name if done online. this is true for all programs that Amex transfers to from what i understand.

let me know if anyone can perhaps assist with letting me borrow their FB elite account. will compensate for your troubles.

Last edited by epiding; Feb 5, 2014 at 1:22 am
Old Feb 5, 2014, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
While I can confirm the others' point about the elite rule, I would be even more negative on the f inventory: if the flight is as busy in premiere as you say releasing the seat will most likely only add inventory of one in P (full fare) not F (discounted and needed for the flex awards) so chances are that if you cancel it will only be available for revenue and even more expensive than your first ticket if you managed to get f inventory.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

let me know if anyone can perhaps assist with letting me borrow their FB elite account. will compensate for your troubles.
If by "borrow" you mean having someone give you their Flying Blue login details, then I think you are on to a non-starter. Sharing of login details is not allowed and never a good idea. You would have to be the one to take the risk (not the "volunteer") and hope that whoever you transferred your hundreds of thousands of Amex MR points to would book the ticket that you wanted in your name.

But this is all rather academic. Very few of us think that there will ever be a redemption F seat available again for this particular flight. If you cancel your revenue booking, you probably will not end up travelling at all on this flight (unless you later buy the same seat back at a much higher price).
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by irishguy28
If by "borrow" you mean having someone give you their Flying Blue login details, then I think you are on to a non-starter. Sharing of login details is not allowed and never a good idea. You would have to be the one to take the risk (not the "volunteer") and hope that whoever you transferred your hundreds of thousands of Amex MR points to would book the ticket that you wanted in your name.

But this is all rather academic. Very few of us think that there will ever be a redemption F seat available again for this particular flight. If you cancel your revenue booking, you probably will not end up travelling at all on this flight (unless you later buy the same seat back at a much higher price).
Good summary! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.