Wiki Posts
Search

KLM Premium Economy Refund?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Delta Silver
KLM Premium Economy Refund?

This is all using Alaska Airlines Miles, to simplify I'm excluding details of the rest of my journey to Seattle, I don't believe they aren't important here. Both tickets were for one way travel.

Booked originally to fly KLM AMS-DFW Y+ on 1 Oct. Realized I wanted to change my plans, and saw an AF CDG-IAH on 2 Oct, in J that I decided to book, 24-48 hours prior to departure of my original KL flight. Since I booked the new ticket in J class, shouldn't I be able to get a refund from AF/KLM for the premium economy portion? KLM site says only a refund if my new flight includes that premium economy option, and so I suppose this answers my question, but I'm wondering if I can make a case to them that since I upgraded to J, they should refund my premium economy fee.

Any insight/help would be appreciated.

Edit: To clarify, I booked a standard Y ticket using miles, then paid KLM a fee to upgrade to Y+.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
First of all, KLM does not have Premium Economy. It is unhelpful (and confusing for others) to refer to "Economy Comfort" - which is merely a seat with extra pitch - as Premium Economy, or Y+.

AF does indeed have a separate product, with separate seats and different catering, in a separate cabin, and with separate pricing and fare classes, called Premium Economy (previously: Premium Voyageur). While other airlines might accept such nomenclature for what is just a pay-up from normal economy, we don't use the terminology here in AFKL as it is confusing and misleading. Premium Economy is a completely separate offering, currently available only on Air France. Therefore the name should not be used when referring to KLM.

And using that name more than flatters the actual KLM offering.

You have seen the refund conditions here. But given the non-standard nature of the booking, this could definitely muddy the waters. All anyone can advise you to do is to apply for the refund and await the outcome.

And please come back when you know the answer. Ta.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unfortunately, the missing details do matter. Am I correct that you booked an award ticket in Y and then paid the seat assignment fee for EC? You have now UG and want your EC seat assignment fee refunded?

If this is the case, it doesn't happen. What you refer to as "Y+" is merely Y with a marginally better seat. It is not marketed as Premium Economy or any separate class of service. Thus, you have simply UG from Y to J.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Unfortunately, the missing details do matter. Am I correct that you booked an award ticket in Y and then paid the seat assignment fee for EC? You have now UG and want your EC seat assignment fee refunded?

If this is the case, it doesn't happen. What you refer to as "Y+" is merely Y with a marginally better seat. It is not marketed as Premium Economy or any separate class of service. Thus, you have simply UG from Y to J.
Yes, I did book Y, then paid the fee for EC (roughly US$130). After cancelling my ticket and rebooking in J, I assumed fee would be refunded. Looking back, not really sure why I would assume that, airlines don't just refund things...
Old Oct 30, 2013, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
To be clear:

(1) ticket: this is not an AF, KL, or FB question. If you booked your ticket through the AS programme using AS miles, only they can decide whether they can refund your miles booking or not.

(2) economy comfort fee: the KL economy comfort fee is non-refundable, this is extremely clearly stated in their terms and conditions and when you book it (there are exceptions such as if the airline changes the plane etc, but not when YOU change your plans) so you won't get that back.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
To be clear:

(1) ticket: this is not an AF, KL, or FB question. If you booked your ticket through the AS programme using AS miles, only they can decide whether they can refund your miles booking or not.

(2) economy comfort fee: the KL economy comfort fee is non-refundable, this is extremely clearly stated in their terms and conditions and when you book it (there are exceptions such as if the airline changes the plane etc, but not when YOU change your plans) so you won't get that back.
1) Not concerned about that. I've taken care of that with AS.

2) I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that KLM probably will not make an exception for me here. I appreciate the feedback from each of you regarding this.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
And please come back when you know the answer. Ta.
My story ended up with a happy ending. I reached out via email to KLM and explained my circumstance, and they processed a refund for the seat upgrade. Thanks all for the advice.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Thanks for letting us know, and glad they refunded you. I had a feeling that they might.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.