Wiki Posts
Search

Implications on Skipping the Return Leg of a Booking

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2019, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by The doomed
Any issues with the above scenario from a fare condition perspective?
None whatsoever. I don't think booking in this manner will lead to any appreciable savings in this particular case. Your chosen dates include a Saturday night, and are well in the future; the strategy of nesting tickets makes sense when your travel pattern doesn't include a weekend and is on a route where you are penalised for not having a Saturday night stay). You are likely also to miss out on the cheapest tickets possible by requiring such a long stay for both tickets.

However, make sure you bring all details of both trips with you. You will potentially run into issues with US Customs & Immigration as they/the airline will see you arriving on a ticket booked for a 7-month stay, which is almost certain to ring alarm bells and maybe require secondary inspection (of course, if you are US passport/green card holders, or bearers of US visas that allow such long stays, this would not raise any issues)
The doomed likes this.

Last edited by irishguy28; Oct 17, 2019 at 11:52 pm
Old Oct 18, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: FB Plat, BA Bronze, Hotels.com
Originally Posted by irishguy28
None whatsoever. I don't think booking in this manner will lead to any appreciable savings in this particular case. Your chosen dates include a Saturday night, and are well in the future; the strategy of nesting tickets makes sense when your travel pattern doesn't include a weekend and is on a route where you are penalised for not having a Saturday night stay). You are likely also to miss out on the cheapest tickets possible by requiring such a long stay for both tickets.

However, make sure you bring all details of both trips with you. You will potentially run into issues with US Customs & Immigration as they/the airline will see you arriving on a ticket booked for a 7-month stay, which is almost certain to ring alarm bells and maybe require secondary inspection (of course, if you are US passport/green card holders, or bearers of US visas that allow such long stays, this would not raise any issues)
Helpful - thank you.

Dates I used were only examples, real dates show savings. Thanks
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 12:10 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by The doomed
Interesting thread.

irishguy28 talking of booking longer term returns, any idea how KL view overlapping return tickets? Want to visit family twice a year and looks like only way to have a competitive fare in KL is to do something like the below:

Ticket 1:
AMS - JFK, 10-Jan-2020
JFK - AMS, 15-Aug-2020

Ticket 2:
JFK - AMS, 16-Jan-2020
AMS - JFK, 09-Aug-2020

And there would probably be other tickets for some work trips around Europe in between the two periods.

Any issues with the above scenario from a fare condition perspective?

I've been doing this kind of itinerary for a long time, especially in domestic day-trip.

Never had an issue !

As irishguy28 said, the only concern could be the US Customs and the stay duration, but I won't be that concerned
The doomed likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: FB (platinum for life), AAdvantage (exec platinum), Aeroflot Bonus (gold)
Originally Posted by Coder33
As irishguy28 said, the only concern could be the US Customs and the stay duration, but I won't be that concerned
US customs have absolutely NO IDEA about your ticket and they don't care about it. What they care about is that you leave the country before the date indicated in your passport (or an online I-94 record in case of an "electronic stamp" like in MIA). They will ask you how long you will stay and if you answer them "5 days" it will be good enough.

Just to be clear. I cross US border on overlapping tickets sometimes looking like russian nesting dolls -- some of them originate in Europe and are round-trips or open jaws; within them I have other intl round-trips originating from the US, sometimes I travel on one-way tickets (miles, operational reasons etc.) Never had any questions simply because they don't have access to my e-Ticket from their computer. And I'm not a green card holder. As an example: right now I have an "outer wrap", which is MOW-BOS-MOW on AA, inside it I already had BOS-SCL-BOS on AA and in 2 weeks it will be BOS-JFK-MOW-MSP-BOS on AF. The return on the "outer wrap" will be around Christmas

Last edited by chil; Oct 21, 2019 at 11:17 pm
Old Oct 22, 2019, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chil
US customs have absolutely NO IDEA about your ticket and they don't care about it.
You're right about that - the customs officers don't care about your ticket (after all, by the time they see you, you have been admitted to the US by an immigration officer).

But if an immigration officer has any doubt about your ticket(s), your motive(s) or the lenght of your proposed stay, then they are going to ask more probing questions. I'd like to think that most experienced officers have a feel for the job and only delve into specifics when they perceive a valid reason to be inquisitive. I usually fly through immigration but the last time I had to stand in line while making a transfer, it was quite surprising how many people were being pulled for secondary inspection.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
I booked a award ticket 9 months back for MIA-CDG-FRA with 8hrs stop in CDG. I don't need to travel onto MUC anymore. Will it be possible to short check to CDG and any implications as some airlines don't like it.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
I booked a award ticket 9 months back for MIA-CDG-FRA with 8hrs stop in CDG. I don't need to travel onto MUC anymore. Will it be possible to short check to CDG and any implications as some airlines don't like it.
No that’s not possible unless you travel hand luggage only and skip the CDG-FRA leg.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They won't short-check your luggage for an 8-hour stopover.

It's also in the Conditions of Carriage that you become liable for the penalty fee associated with non-compliant use of your ticket.

It's however unlikely that they would notice, or charge you, unless you request short-checking of luggage.

It may be better to change the ticket so that CDG rather than MUC is now your final.destination. this will probably lead to a repricing of the ticket, though.

Any remaining sectors on the ticket will also be cancelled. So, if the ticket includes further flights on a later date, they will be cancelled.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 17, 2022, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don’t mind changing the ticket but it’s a partner one way award and the airline is saying they can’t drop a segment without cancelling and reissuing. That then means the flights may not come back into the reward seat bucket again.

I would just end up flying the last segment and flying back on the next flight which is a awful waste of resources.

What happens if they refuse to short check my bags and I land in Paris and ask for them back?
Old Jul 17, 2022, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What happens if they refuse to short check my bags and I land in Paris and ask for them back?
Speaking from personal experience with KLM at Amsterdam - you may be charged a fee (in the region of €275 per bag) to have the bags retrieved from the system upon arrival at the hub.

Given the current meltdown regarding baggage, I would not expect this to be a straightforward and quick request; it could literally take them hours to retrieve and deliver your bags when asked upon arrival.
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 17, 2022 at 8:20 am
Old Jul 17, 2022, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What if I delay the flight to the next day? Will I be able to short check that way? Travelling with kids should be a reasonable request to get our bags back.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: FB Gold
What if I delay the flight to the next day? Will I be able to short check that way? Travelling with kids should be a reasonable request to get our bags back.
That may result in a reprice of your ticket.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mlin32
That may result in a reprice of your ticket.
Not if I take the first flight the next day so it’s not a stopover as within 24hrs.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:45 am

Programs: FB Gold
Not if I take the first flight the next day so it’s not a stopover as within 24hrs.
If it's an overnight, then they might then let you collect the bags, so it might work. But will depend on what flight schedules are available the next day.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any voluntary change to an FB award ticket results in a reprice. As per the T&Cs in force since April, a voluntary change results in the cancellation of the ticket and the issuance of a brand new ticket.

If you want to make a change, you may as well request that the CDG-MUC sector is dropped from your itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.