Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Implications on Skipping the Return Leg of a Booking

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2014, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
So after grazing through this thread I have come up with...what's the worst that can happen? That I "might" get the fare difference charged to my credit card.

Right now r/t AMS-FRA is 120euros for my date and o/w is 189euros. I have never flown KLM before, mostly likely never will again (no FF or historical data).

So if I book the round trip and don't show up I'll be saving 70euros. However, if they DID decide to charge me the fare difference what do they base the fare off of? Could it end up being the day of fare or something like that where it may end up costing me 250 euros instead?
They would not charge the fare difference to your credit card. I do not think that they could legally do so since you ahve not authorised them to do so. Don't worry. Nothing will happen.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NickB
They would not charge the fare difference to your credit card. I do not think that they could legally do so since you ahve not authorised them to do so. Don't worry. Nothing will happen.
+1. If you do it as a one off the chance that anything happens at all is infinitesimal. It is only people who skip legs regularly who may attract some unwanted attention from the airline.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Okay cool thanks for the info folks...I was tempted to fly SAS AMS-CPH-FRA for about the same price to get miles but I would have to leave all my friends early in the day and go out of the way. Will do the KLM CityHopper
Old Oct 31, 2014, 5:09 am

I will be travelling from west coast of USA to AMS on KLM one way on business class, but I booked a few on-ward flights to reduce to cost by a few thousands.

This is my first time doing the throw-way ticketing, and I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Old Nov 6, 2014, 1:14 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
I presume KL are ok with it.

I know some corporate TA's like VCK do this as a standard for their clients. Ie the book 2 round trips cheaply ie AMS-CDG-AMS and CDG-AMS-CDG and just throw away the cheaper 2nd segment. Given they have some large dutch companies and book many many flights if there was an issue I am sure KL would have said something by now.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ANstar
I presume KL are ok with it.
Despite agreeing with your general point, I wouldn't go so far in my choice of words. I think that standard advice still holds: do it a few times, with hand luggage only, and ensuring that there is no flight that you want to take after the first one you missed and you'll most likely be fine. Do it frequently and you are taking a risk. It is also worth noting that there are plenty of things that everyone used to "do all the time" and which airlines are progressively cracking on - threads on short checking bags on this forum being a good example - so I think it is worth remembering that at the moment, airlines in general and KL in particular seem desperate to recoup costs and are finding "new ways" of correcting issues which the consider to cause them lost revenue. I do not think that changes will occur overnight, but there is a long term issue and I wouldn't bet that throw away ticketing will be as easy in 5 years from now.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:09 pm

I just read through this thread and I am quite tense looking for some confirmation, I booked BSB-GIG-AMS return, and I am looking to skip on the GIG-BSB return leg, I was worried about luggage being checked to BSB, but then I read this:

If your trip includes a transfer, your check-in baggage will usually be sent to your final destination. The baggage claim tag that you receive when dropping off your baggage always states your bag’s final destination.

When transferring, you only need to collect your baggage and check it in again for your connecting flight, if:

You have purchased 2 or more tickets from different airlines that have dissimilar conditions
You transfer from a KLM flight to a domestic flight (for example in the United States)
You arrive at one airport and your connecting flight departs from another airport
Your transfer lasts longer than 12 hours or your next flight departs the next day. When transferring at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol or Paris-Charles de Gaulle, you can ask for your baggage to be sent to your final destination.
You make a stopover
Part of your journey is by bus or rail

I think I am framed in two of these(a domestic flight, and a 12 hours/next day departure), I will be looking to go to the flight with hand luggage only, but my luggage is just barely around the dimensions limits of KLM, so I need some confirmation, if I check my luggage will I definitely retrieve it at GIG?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:01 am

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
If the onward flight (the one which you plan to drop) is the next day you will be able to ask to pick it up at GIG. It depends on the airport but some will not store overnight anyway. At check in just double check and any issues just say you need it for your overnight stay.

For HBO I've never known KLM to overly check bag size except when its a Fokker which is short on overhead space for a full flight. Normally they don't check the size but whether its has wheels. For AMS-GIG this won't be an issue.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by mrisoli
I think I am framed in two of these(a domestic flight, and a 12 hours/next day departure), I will be looking to go to the flight with hand luggage only, but my luggage is just barely around the dimensions limits of KLM, so I need some confirmation, if I check my luggage will I definitely retrieve it at GIG?
Don't you clear immigration and customs at GIG? I thought the only exception was onward international flights from GIG-GRU and vice versa.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by erik123
Don't you clear immigration and customs at GIG? I thought the only exception was onward international flights from GIG-GRU and vice versa.
Yes, he does have to clear customs at GIG on the return leg, so he will be forced to retrieve it even if it has been tagged all the way to BSB.

Apart from that, there are currently no international tag-on flights between GIG and GRU. They have all ceased to operate. If you're flying between both airports, the flights are entirely domestic, forcing passengers to clear immigration and customs at first airport of arrival when coming from a foreign country.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:57 pm

throwaway ticket with checked baggage

LHR-SLC return in August is well over £750. For £437 I can get GOT-SLC return with a short layover at LAX and a 17 hour layover overnight at LHR on the way back with AA. I can get a cheap flight from LHR to GOT for £60 including checked luggage, so good savings to be made.

This would be booked directly with the AA website. Before booking I just wanted to make sure that I will definitely be able to collect my baggage at LHR at the end of my trip with such a long layover at LHR. Will I need to collect and re-check my baggage on my return journey at LAX?

Thanks for advice as I've never tried this before and want to save a few hundred pounds.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:04 am
Suspended

Delete

Last edited by FlyerTalker37; Apr 23, 2018 at 11:29 pm
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
There will be no problem.

But why not book the return flight for a date when he may wish to use it (unless he is genuinely never planning on returning to visit friends and family, ever again!!!). For Christmas, for example?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Why fly AF? there is no competitive one way fares on other airlines?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:19 am
Suspended

Delete

Last edited by FlyerTalker37; Apr 23, 2018 at 11:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.