Wiki Posts
Search

dreaming for an upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2012, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by mtkeller
I didn't say I booked an S fare, I said I booked a fare equal in price to an AF A fare and upgraded with my DL SWU. You might have a peek at a fare search in EF for AF and DL on something like JFK-CDG to see what fare bucket (singular) DL uses for PV on AF flights and how there's almost always a fare starting with that letter published to correspond to every AF PV fare, regardless of A, S, or W.
That is all very mysterious
But this is the FB forum. No doubt that DL program has different characteristics and might be better in many respects. But one cannot use FB miles to book awards on SM.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 8:12 pm

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by brunos
The most common way to upgrade now is to receive a message from AF offering you to upgrade for (little) cash. You then reply if you are interested and AF will call you if they do have opportunities.
I will be flying AF347 YUL-CDG Sunday June 17th on the A380 with a deep discount economy ticket. Delta Platinum flying with my non-status wife the day after we get married (economics did not allow us to purchase business class unfortunately). In the event economy is oversold, what kind of money might AF want for paid upgrades at the airport? Would my Skyteam Elite+ help? A few hundred $? Would they likely offer economy to business or only economy to premium economy?
Old Jun 3, 2012, 5:09 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by crazyMRer
I will be flying AF347 YUL-CDG Sunday June 17th on the A380 with a deep discount economy ticket. Delta Platinum flying with my non-status wife the day after we get married (economics did not allow us to purchase business class unfortunately). In the event economy is oversold, what kind of money might AF want for paid upgrades at the airport? Would my Skyteam Elite+ help? A few hundred $? Would they likely offer economy to business or only economy to premium economy?
Like Brunos said the best chances for an upgrade offer are when AF contacts you. This is done by email, so make sure your email address is registered with your booking (check your booking on the AF site). If available, they may (or may not) offer you an upgrade, often at a fair price, and then you accept or do nothing. After you've accepted there is no guarantee yet. You'll have to wait until you get the go-ahead from AF.

General impression is that upgrade deal offers are arbitrary and not linked to status. Upgrade offers directly from Y to J are certainly.

Buying upgrades at the check in counter is technically possible, but on't count on any deals there.

In any case: don't count on it. Then you have two possible outcomes. Be surprised, or not be disappointed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.