dreaming for an upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-FO, amex platinum, ducks unlimited, pheasants forever
dreaming for an upgrade

Leaving DTW to CDG next Friday,
I'm Delta Gold, wife is Silver.
We are booked in PV and noticed a lot of empty J space at this point.
Wondering if and when AF opens J for upgrades?
I was previously told to check within 24hrs of departure as they may free up some J in this window.
Booked the PV seats in I believe A and was told if upgrade was available in it would cost 25k in Skymiles.
Just wondering if there are any other recommendations on how to snag the elusive J upgrade... or am I just dreaming....
Old Apr 17, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by schmidlapp
Leaving DTW to CDG next Friday,
I'm Delta Gold, wife is Silver.
We are booked in PV and noticed a lot of empty J space at this point.
Wondering if and when AF opens J for upgrades?
I was previously told to check within 24hrs of departure as they may free up some J in this window.
Booked the PV seats in I believe A and was told if upgrade was available in it would cost 25k in Skymiles.
Just wondering if there are any other recommendations on how to snag the elusive J upgrade... or am I just dreaming....
I'm sorry to say that AF told me last week that A is not upgradeable, unless you pay an extra fee for changing it to a upgradeable fare.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by kevinflyaway
I'm sorry to say that AF told me last week that A is not upgradeable, unless you pay an extra fee for changing it to a upgradeable fare.
This is correct. PV upgradable fares are S and W.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:24 am

Programs: FB Plat for life
You can only hope for an operational upgrade if PV and Y are overbooked. To give you a little hope as it is easter vacation now in Europe (not sure about US) the planes are quite full in Y usually and less crowded in J. On the other side Friday evening flight is usually quite full in J out of DTW from my past experience.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
The most common way to upgrade now is to receive a message from AF offering you to upgrade for (little) cash. You then reply if you are interested and AF will call you if they do have opportunities.
AF do not have programs to facilitate upgrade with miles by elite members as common on US airlines. They only allow it on the most expensive fares and it costs a lot of miles (compared to simply booking an award in J).
Free Opup process is mysterious and with AF new policy of offering upgrades for cash to selected pax, the probability of free opups are small.
However, during holidays flights are overbooked in Y and low load in premium cabins, so you stand a better chance of opup or paid upgrade.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 4:00 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by brunos
AF do not have programs to facilitate upgrade with miles by elite members as common on US airlines. They only allow it on the most expensive fares and it costs a lot of miles (compared to simply booking an award in J).
But they do allow upgrading from S and W fares with partner program miles. (and not just DL miles, it's part of the published SkyTeam Upgrade Program). With DL miles, it's 15K each way for TATL, which is a pretty good deal. There are even some tricks to get cheaper PV fares upgraded, but I think if the OP booked into an AF A fare, the only hope is to get an offer for a paid upgrade or an op-up.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtkeller
But they do allow upgrading from S and W fares with partner program miles. (and not just DL miles, it's part of the published SkyTeam Upgrade Program). With DL miles, it's 15K each way for TATL, which is a pretty good deal. There are even some tricks to get cheaper PV fares upgraded, but I think if the OP booked into an AF A fare, the only hope is to get an offer for a paid upgrade or an op-up.
The Skyteam upgrade program can only be used on full fare Y, which for AF translates into Y, S, W.
Are you sure that the upgrade is only 15K with DL miles? I think that it is more for FB miles (but the upgrade info is not published). And the OP mentioned 25K.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 8:21 am

The Skyteam upgrade program can only be used on full fare Y, which for AF translates into Y, S, W.
Are you sure that the upgrade is only 15K with DL miles? I think that it is more for FB miles (but the upgrade info is not published). And the OP mentioned 25K.
It's definitely 15K SkyMiles to upgrade W or S on AF to O, as shown here. There are numerous reports of people doing it on the DL forum. Some agents have broken the rules and upgraded A and charged 25K for doing it since it's a cheaper fare, but that seems to either be stopped at the ticket reissue or the reissue goes through and a follow-up question about the mileage level gets 10K refunded. Upgrading BM on DL to Z or BMU on KL to U takes 25K miles (15K for Y), so maybe the agent isn't used to doing upgrades from PV and just quoted the TATL upgrade mileage.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

This may be mis-information but was told by my T/A that since it is A fare class the upgrade if available would be 25k skymiles not the lower 15k Not so sure now as
I am hearing A is not upgradable....
Old Apr 19, 2012, 1:29 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
The most common way to upgrade now is to receive a message from AF offering you to upgrade for (little) cash. You then reply if you are interested and AF will call you if they do have opportunities.
This is the second time I am hearing about this, yet this never happened to me.
Is it really now "the most common way"?
Do you have to sing up somewhere to receive these emails?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtkeller
It's definitely 15K SkyMiles to upgrade W or S on AF to O, as shown here. There are numerous reports of people doing it on the DL forum. Some agents have broken the rules and upgraded A and charged 25K for doing it since it's a cheaper fare, but that seems to either be stopped at the ticket reissue or the reissue goes through and a follow-up question about the mileage level gets 10K refunded. Upgrading BM on DL to Z or BMU on KL to U takes 25K miles (15K for Y), so maybe the agent isn't used to doing upgrades from PV and just quoted the TATL upgrade mileage.
Thanks. Remember that a "free" Biz award is 50K and you can only upgrade with miles when a free award seat is available. Unless it is the company paying for the expensive PV fare, an award in J seems to me more attractive than an upgrade.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 2:05 am

This may be mis-information but was told by my T/A that since it is A fare class the upgrade if available would be 25k skymiles not the lower 15k Not so sure now as
I'd say the TA is misinformed, since there is nothing published about A being upgradable. Doesn't hurt to try if there is upgrade space, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
next time make sure you buy the Delta W-fare and not the AF A-fare, then it is easy to upgrade once AF opens up the O bucket.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 6:03 am
Original Poster

When we booked this, checked out delta and did not see a way to book
PV on delta using AF as a codeshare. Finally had my T/A book it thru AF
Hate when I can't do something myself.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
When we booked this, checked out delta and did not see a way to book
PV on delta using AF as a codeshare. Finally had my T/A book it thru AF
Hate when I can't do something myself.
Search for W-class or higher on Delta.com or go to e.g. Expedia and use prem eco as the search criteria. Should be available in all TATL markets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.