Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New FB Gold member. Any tips?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2011, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold. Miles and More SEN.
New FB Gold member. Any tips?

Recently became FB Gold and was wondering if anyone had any 'unofficial' tips for getting the most out of my new status.

For example, any tips on using my Gold status for getting extras like upgrades without using my award miles.

Or anything else that anyone would like to pass on.

Thanks.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 9:23 am

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ± ♪♪♪ 7¾³ © ™
Originally Posted by Yony
Recently became FB Gold and was wondering if anyone had any 'unofficial' tips for getting the most out of my new status.

For example, any tips on using my Gold status for getting extras like upgrades without using my award miles.

Or anything else that anyone would like to pass on.

Thanks.
Congratulations... I can't think of anything better than using your new status to help others by getting them into a lounge for a drink. Put up your times, dates, airport & terminal and make a new friend. When you get your card it should come in handy for scraping ice off windows. Other than that I can't think of any other use gold has been. Maybe somebody else here knows better.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Haha. The improved lounge access is just about the only benefit I can get excited about at the moment,

Just wondered if anyone has found it unofficially opens some doors that were closed before. *

*Promise I won't tell anyone.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Well, your Gold status will be beneficial to a certain extent whenever some problem that has to be dealt with is left to staff members' discretion. (Such as upgrades when Economy is overbooked, or finding a suitable flight to rebook you on when your original flight has been cancelled or is very much delayed, etc.)

But do not expect too much. It is not for no reason that status benefits are officially published. Also, there might be Platinum members around when discretion is applied, which means they might get priority.

In other words: there is no way you can actively "use" your status for getting unpublished benefits. In fact, if you insist on a certain treatment (on the basis of discretion) because you behave like a self-important Gold member, this might well backfire.

So if there is anything you can actively do to make the most out of your status then it is this:
- Be thoroughly informed about your benefits (and do the maths when necessary), including those little perks that are published, but might not be so obvious at first sight (such as perks with non-Skyteam partner airlines, a small amount of bonus miles when renting a car from some companies, increased award availability), and, most of all,
- be a Gold member who is friendly and polite to all fellow travellers and staff members.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cityflyer369
Well, your Gold status will be beneficial to a certain extent whenever some problem that has to be dealt with is left to staff members' discretion. (Such as upgrades when Economy is overbooked, or finding a suitable flight to rebook you on when your original flight has been cancelled or is very much delayed, etc.)

But do not expect too much. It is not for no reason that status benefits are officially published. Also, there might be Platinum members around when discretion is applied, which means they might get priority.

In other words: there is no way you can actively "use" your status for getting unpublished benefits. In fact, if you insist on a certain treatment (on the basis of discretion) because you behave like a self-important Gold member, this might well backfire.

So if there is anything you can actively do to make the most out of your status then it is this:
- Be thoroughly informed about your benefits (and do the maths when necessary), including those little perks that are published, but might not be so obvious at first sight (such as perks with non-Skyteam partner airlines, a small amount of bonus miles when renting a car from some companies, increased award availability), and, most of all,
- be a Gold member who is friendly and polite to all fellow travellers and staff members.
Thanks. I would hate to think I was missing out on anything...
Old Sep 28, 2011, 2:25 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Andy49
Congratulations... I can't think of anything better than using your new status to help others by getting them into a lounge for a drink. Put up your times, dates, airport & terminal and make a new friend. When you get your card it should come in handy for scraping ice off windows. Other than that I can't think of any other use gold has been. Maybe somebody else here knows better.
Fast Track ^^^ For me this is the absolute number one benefit of holding FBG status...
Old Sep 28, 2011, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by cityflyer369
Could not agree more... I hate it when new Gold members think they are worth more than everybody else. And often, especially with AF, it's counter productive. Humility will get any Gold farther than arrogance.

Originally Posted by Cupart
Fast Track ^^^ For me this is the absolute number one benefit of holding FBG status...
+1!
Old Sep 28, 2011, 6:31 am

Programs: FB-LTPE
Originally Posted by JamesBond_ppk
Could not agree more... I hate it when new Gold members think they are worth more than everybody else.
I think it has more to do with potential ignorance when moving up a level; for a new Gold member holder, it may sound an exclusive status but soon enough they find out they are among many of the same. Same applies for Platinum holders on popular ff-er flights.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 6:42 am

Programs: Oneworld sapphire (IB)
First of all congratulations.
The benefits are indeed limited and remaining discrete will bring you further then being demanding while waving with your card.

My favorite FB gold benefits:

- lounge
- extra awards points
- priority check-in and boarding
- better award availability

(although I prefer Miles&More Senator advantages as they are more extensive: travel insurance, up up vouchers, partner advantages etc)
Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:14 am

Programs: Many
Best uses of Gold :
1 : Lounge access
2 : Fast track
3 : Dedicated check-in (also available with Silver)
Old Sep 28, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Fast track is a great benefit but does not apply at all airports. Some only provide fast track in C, some for all C/Elite/Elite+, others for C/Elite+ only and even others only for Plat not C.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by MichielR
Fast track is a great benefit but does not apply at all airports. Some only provide fast track in C, some for all C/Elite/Elite+, others for C/Elite+ only and even others only for Plat not C.
what are the rules in CDG? can silvers use the fast track?
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Escape
what are the rules in CDG? can silvers use the fast track?
Yes
Old Sep 29, 2011, 1:58 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Yes
You mean Acces n°1? I am pretty sure it is reserved for Elite+.

C class counters however are avaialble to Silver.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 2:29 am

Programs: FB plf; IB oro; LA black
Originally Posted by bodory
You mean Acces n°1? I am pretty sure it is reserved for Elite+.

C class counters however are avaialble to Silver.
I have been silver for one year and got acces N°1 (even with a pal) everytime I boarded in CDG.
By the way got it also in MAD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.