FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue-594/)
-   -   New FB Gold member. Any tips? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue/1263575-new-fb-gold-member-any-tips.html)

Yony Sep 27, 2011 6:30 am

New FB Gold member. Any tips?

Recently became FB Gold and was wondering if anyone had any 'unofficial' tips for getting the most out of my new status.

For example, any tips on using my Gold status for getting extras like upgrades without using my award miles.

Or anything else that anyone would like to pass on.

Thanks.

Andy49 Sep 27, 2011 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Yony (Post 17180237)
Recently became FB Gold and was wondering if anyone had any 'unofficial' tips for getting the most out of my new status.

For example, any tips on using my Gold status for getting extras like upgrades without using my award miles.

Or anything else that anyone would like to pass on.

Thanks.

Congratulations... I can't think of anything better than using your new status to help others by getting them into a lounge for a drink. Put up your times, dates, airport & terminal and make a new friend. When you get your card it should come in handy for scraping ice off windows. Other than that I can't think of any other use gold has been. Maybe somebody else here knows better.

Yony Sep 27, 2011 10:29 am

Haha. The improved lounge access is just about the only benefit I can get excited about at the moment,

Just wondered if anyone has found it unofficially opens some doors that were closed before. *

*Promise I won't tell anyone.

cityflyer369 Sep 27, 2011 11:57 am

Well, your Gold status will be beneficial to a certain extent whenever some problem that has to be dealt with is left to staff members' discretion. (Such as upgrades when Economy is overbooked, or finding a suitable flight to rebook you on when your original flight has been cancelled or is very much delayed, etc.)

But do not expect too much. It is not for no reason that status benefits are officially published. Also, there might be Platinum members around when discretion is applied, which means they might get priority.

In other words: there is no way you can actively "use" your status for getting unpublished benefits. In fact, if you insist on a certain treatment (on the basis of discretion) because you behave like a self-important Gold member, this might well backfire.

So if there is anything you can actively do to make the most out of your status then it is this:
- Be thoroughly informed about your benefits (and do the maths when necessary), including those little perks that are published, but might not be so obvious at first sight (such as perks with non-Skyteam partner airlines, a small amount of bonus miles when renting a car from some companies, increased award availability), and, most of all,
- be a Gold member who is friendly and polite to all fellow travellers and staff members.

Yony Sep 27, 2011 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by cityflyer369 (Post 17182039)
Well, your Gold status will be beneficial to a certain extent whenever some problem that has to be dealt with is left to staff members' discretion. (Such as upgrades when Economy is overbooked, or finding a suitable flight to rebook you on when your original flight has been cancelled or is very much delayed, etc.)

But do not expect too much. It is not for no reason that status benefits are officially published. Also, there might be Platinum members around when discretion is applied, which means they might get priority.

In other words: there is no way you can actively "use" your status for getting unpublished benefits. In fact, if you insist on a certain treatment (on the basis of discretion) because you behave like a self-important Gold member, this might well backfire.

So if there is anything you can actively do to make the most out of your status then it is this:
- Be thoroughly informed about your benefits (and do the maths when necessary), including those little perks that are published, but might not be so obvious at first sight (such as perks with non-Skyteam partner airlines, a small amount of bonus miles when renting a car from some companies, increased award availability), and, most of all,
- be a Gold member who is friendly and polite to all fellow travellers and staff members.

Thanks. I would hate to think I was missing out on anything...

Cupart Sep 28, 2011 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Andy49 (Post 17181066)
Congratulations... I can't think of anything better than using your new status to help others by getting them into a lounge for a drink. Put up your times, dates, airport & terminal and make a new friend. When you get your card it should come in handy for scraping ice off windows. Other than that I can't think of any other use gold has been. Maybe somebody else here knows better.

Fast Track ^^^ For me this is the absolute number one benefit of holding FBG status...

JamesBond_ppk Sep 28, 2011 6:20 am

Originally Posted by cityflyer369 (Post 17182039)

Could not agree more... I hate it when new Gold members think they are worth more than everybody else. And often, especially with AF, it's counter productive. Humility will get any Gold farther than arrogance.

Originally Posted by Cupart (Post 17185588)
Fast Track ^^^ For me this is the absolute number one benefit of holding FBG status...

+1!

NB00 Sep 28, 2011 6:31 am

Originally Posted by JamesBond_ppk (Post 17186088)
Could not agree more... I hate it when new Gold members think they are worth more than everybody else.

I think it has more to do with potential ignorance when moving up a level; for a new Gold member holder, it may sound an exclusive status but soon enough they find out they are among many of the same. Same applies for Platinum holders on popular ff-er flights.

michael9 Sep 28, 2011 6:42 am

First of all congratulations.
The benefits are indeed limited and remaining discrete will bring you further then being demanding while waving with your card.

My favorite FB gold benefits:

- lounge
- extra awards points
- priority check-in and boarding
- better award availability

(although I prefer Miles&More Senator advantages as they are more extensive: travel insurance, up up vouchers, partner advantages etc)

bodory Sep 28, 2011 7:14 am

Best uses of Gold :
1 : Lounge access
2 : Fast track
3 : Dedicated check-in (also available with Silver)

MichielR Sep 28, 2011 1:28 pm

Fast track is a great benefit but does not apply at all airports. Some only provide fast track in C, some for all C/Elite/Elite+, others for C/Elite+ only and even others only for Plat not C.

Escape Sep 28, 2011 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by MichielR (Post 17188321)
Fast track is a great benefit but does not apply at all airports. Some only provide fast track in C, some for all C/Elite/Elite+, others for C/Elite+ only and even others only for Plat not C.

what are the rules in CDG? can silvers use the fast track?

Goldorak Sep 29, 2011 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Escape (Post 17189501)
what are the rules in CDG? can silvers use the fast track?

Yes

bodory Sep 29, 2011 1:58 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 17191127)
Yes

You mean Acces n°1? I am pretty sure it is reserved for Elite+.

C class counters however are avaialble to Silver.

saraoutou Sep 29, 2011 2:29 am

Originally Posted by bodory (Post 17191331)
You mean Acces n°1? I am pretty sure it is reserved for Elite+.

C class counters however are avaialble to Silver.

I have been silver for one year and got acces N°1 (even with a pal) everytime I boarded in CDG.
By the way got it also in MAD.