Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2010, 3:26 am
MRC
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue PE, Garuda FF Gold, Shangr-La Gold, KrisFlyer SQ
Garuda Indonesia joins Sky Team

Garuda Indonesia to join SkyTeam

Rangga D. Fadillah, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta | Fri, 11/19/2010

National flag carrier Garuda Indonesia sets to officially join international airline alliance SkyTeam in a bid to reach its target to become one of the top ten best airlines in the world.

The carrier will meet delegates from SkyTeam partner airlines on Nov. 23 in Jakarta to sign an official agreement and discuss detailed practical matters.

The president director of Garuda Indonesia, Emirsyah Satar, said Thursday that after officially joining the alliance, his carrier could fly passengers from the alliance's partner airlines and vice versa, so the flight frequency of his carrier could be added.

“It means that our passengers can fly anywhere with one ticket only,” he said as quoted by Gatra magazine.

He continued that joining SkyTeam was one of Garuda Indonesia's efforts to provide traveling convenience and more choices for its passengers.

Currently, 13 airlines – Aerosoft, Aeromexico, AirEuropa, Air France, Alitalia, China Southern, Czeh Airlines, Delta Airlines, Kenya Airways, KLM, Korean Air, TAROM, and Vietnam Airlines – have joined the alliance. SkyTeam member-airlines travel to 841 destination cities in 162 countries servicing 16,409 flights per day.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2...n-skyteam.html
Old Nov 20, 2010, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by MRC
“It means that our passengers can fly anywhere with one ticket only,” he said as quoted by Gatra magazine.
And previously one couldn't?? What is he saying?
Old Nov 20, 2010, 3:47 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Miles&More Senator, bmi Diamond Club Silver, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG
I recently flew GA on 2 short hops within Indonesia. Everything was fine. I would say that service-wise they are better than most domestic US carriers, but not anywhere near SQ, TG, or CX. However, they did provide good service for the short flights.
I also met a Dutch couple that had just flown in from AMS to CGK on GA and they said it was miles ahead of KLM. Everything from the food to the seat to the friendliness of the cabin crew, they were really impressed and very happy with GA.
Seems like Skyteam is getting a good airline. I know they had some safety issues some years ago, but they've worked that all out and appear to be quite safe now.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:00 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
And previously one couldn't?? What is he saying?
That one can book a ST destination with a flight on GA and one (or more) on ST in one booking, without having to book the GA flight and ST flight(s) apart. Which one had to do before (except one some codeshares?).
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:53 am

I'm very happy GA joined ST, now I can fly a new, nice Asian carrier next year to DPS instead of KL and earn miles. Which is always a factor for me when selecting flights. Surprised they entered before MH, which also has shown interest in ST membership and is a good carrier.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Garuda was a very bad airline with many problems. In 2007 it was blacklisted by EU. Garuda has improved since then and started to offer a flight to AMS (its only European destination) in July 2010. it is operated by a A330_200 with a stop in Dubai. Very limited longhaul network. And many airplanes still equipped with antique business class seats. But A330 now have not-great lie-flats.
I would say that most of my Asian friends would still refuse to fly GA (for safety reasons) and would prefer to use Air Asia or other LCC or reliable mainstream airlines. Moving from being the worst international airline (and banned by IATA) to a wonderful airline is not possible in 3-year time, especially with Indonesian base.

Currently, benefits of being in ST will be limited for FB members (except for the possibility of earning miles on regional flights). KL and GA now compete on AMS-Jakarta, and the fact that GA joins ST is bad news for prices and competition. GA already codeshares with KL, so I agree with Guy Betsy that it will make little difference for pax, except earning status miles on FB.
Neither AF nor GA fly CDG-Jakarta, so the benefits are currently limited for French-based members. Better to fly to Bali with another airline (SQ, CX, TG,..). Of course, the future could be different.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 3:02 am

Programs: FB Plat Lifetimer / Air NZ Airpoints
Great, so now we get another inferior product in the Sky Team mix!! Here's hoping this is not the first step in AF forcing KLM to give over (up on) one of its longhaul routes! MH joining Sky Team will never happen as long as AF don't want them. I wonder how much longer KLM will be allowed to operate as a longhaul carrier within the AFKL Group??!
Old Nov 21, 2010, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by brunos
Currently, benefits of being in ST will be limited for FB members (except for the possibility of earning miles on regional flights). KL and GA now compete on AMS-Jakarta, and the fact that GA joins ST is bad news for prices and competition. GA already codeshares with KL, so I agree with Guy Betsy that it will make little difference for pax, except earning status miles on FB.
Neither AF nor GA fly CDG-Jakarta, so the benefits are currently limited for French-based members. Better to fly to Bali with another airline (SQ, CX, TG,..). Of course, the future could be different.
They do have a plan to extend their European services though - they were definitely planning to reopen LHR and later FRA. I think the main benefit for us is that they fly the kangaroo route, and can usually be booked for comparatively cheap prices - hopefully they will soon do so from LHR and FRA and not just AMS, and then perhaps CDG or FCO. Sadly, they are planning to reroute most of their services via Jakarta as opposed to Bali as they used to, which used to make for a great stopover! I last flew them in 2004, which was a long time ago (pre-dismantelment of their European operations). At the time, they were no CX or SQ or KE but a decent airline. My friend who flew them this year say they are rather a bit better now (albeit still not fantastic). My main fear is that 'generous by nature' FB will probably limit accrual to near-full-fare booking classes though which would clearly limit the point, otherwise, I'd say it would be an ok expansion in an area of the world where FB has no member at all so far (Vietnam while looking close on maps is pretty far away! )...
Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by brunos
Garuda was a very bad airline with many problems. In 2007 it was blacklisted by EU. ...
I would say that most of my Asian friends would still refuse to fly GA (for safety reasons) and would prefer to use Air Asia or other LCC or reliable mainstream airlines.
Indeed. The safety issues on Garuda are even greater than on most third rate airlines from corrupt countries...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4544378.stm

An Indonesian court has sentenced an off-duty airline pilot to 14 years' jail for murdering a rights activist.
The court said Pollycarpus Priyanto poisoned a glass of orange juice served to Munir Thalib during a flight to Amsterdam two years ago.
http://eu.airliners.net/aviation-for....main/2503019/
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:10 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
Boy, Skyteam really is skillful in recruiting the cream of the crop.....

TAROM
S7
Vietnam
Aerolineas Argentinas
now Garuda

..and yet other airlines still beckon...
Malaysia
a Mideast carrier (Eithad, Emirates, Qatar)
Jet Airways
a Taiwan carrier (EVA, Air China)
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:43 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by beaubo
Emirates
Don't think they are interested in joining an alliance, nor are European members of the three alliances interested in having them as members.
a Taiwan carrier (EVA, Air China)
IIRC, Air China is a mainland carrier, while China Airlines should indeed be joining SkyTeam.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:49 pm

With GA, ST finally has a partner in SE Asia. They had some safety issues but I think they solved them and are now a good airline. They really want to improve, with a nice new J, AVOD and new planes. I think they eventually will compete with MH when their "quantum leap" has been completed. At least we now can earn miles on domestic flts, but FB will have their exceptions and low earning rates.
Still, I really don't get it why MH hasn't entered ST (long) before GA!
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL/KM Platinum, STE+, Hertz Prezzie
Impact on AUS flights?

Does this help close the Australian Skyteam problem? Currently Quantas and Malaysia carry water for AirFrance and KLM to get people to AF/KLM connections at SIN and KUL. It's my understanding that we don't get elite qualifying miles on those legs (an issue for me since I will be living in AUS for a few months next year). Would that fix that - and would KLM/AF begin shifting their code shares to Garuda?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:08 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by bcapehart
Does this help close the Australian Skyteam problem? Currently Qantas and Malaysia carry water for AirFrance and KLM to get people to AF/KLM connections at SIN and KUL. It's my understanding that we don't get elite qualifying miles on those legs (an issue for me since I will be living in AUS for a few months next year). Would that fix that - and would KLM/AF begin shifting their code shares to Garuda?
You do get elite qualifying miles as long as the flight is AF coded (or KL-coded), even if it is operated by QF.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:15 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by bcapehart
Does this help close the Australian Skyteam problem? Currently Quantas and Malaysia carry water for AirFrance and KLM to get people to AF/KLM connections at SIN and KUL. It's my understanding that we don't get elite qualifying miles on those legs (an issue for me since I will be living in AUS for a few months next year). Would that fix that - and would KLM/AF begin shifting their code shares to Garuda?
As long as you book the flight through KLM (and your flight is KL-coded) you will still earn the level miles even if your flight is operated by MH. Downside is that you do not get access to the MH Business Class lounge in Kuala Lumpur, but is not a major point if you are going after status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.