Wiki Posts
Search

AF/KL new rules for luggage [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2011, 2:13 am

Programs: FB-LTPE
Originally Posted by Gajan
Good news, flying DL in Y Flying Blue elites are allowed two pieces at 70lbs^
(which is even more generous than FB Elites get to take on AF/KL in Y)!

Source
The Delta website gives contradicting information:

Under bagage facts (https://www.delta.com/help/faqs/baggage/index.jsp) it says:

Will our Medallion members continue to be able to check an additional bag with no additional charge? Medallion members traveling in the economy cabin will be permitted two bags free of charge up to 70 lbs. for each bag. All passengers traveling in First/Business Class cabin will still be allowed to check up to three bags up to 70 lbs. at no additional charge on Delta and Delta Connection-operated flights only.

Will SkyTeam Elite/ElitePlus customers be given an exception to the charge? No. SkyTeam Elite/ElitePlus customers traveling in the economy cabin will be subject to the appropriate checked baggage fees.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:11 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by NB00
The Delta website gives contradicting information:

Under bagage facts (https://www.delta.com/help/faqs/baggage/index.jsp) it says:

Will our Medallion members continue to be able to check an additional bag with no additional charge? Medallion members traveling in the economy cabin will be permitted two bags free of charge up to 70 lbs. for each bag. All passengers traveling in First/Business Class cabin will still be allowed to check up to three bags up to 70 lbs. at no additional charge on Delta and Delta Connection-operated flights only.

Will SkyTeam Elite/ElitePlus customers be given an exception to the charge? No. SkyTeam Elite/ElitePlus customers traveling in the economy cabin will be subject to the appropriate checked baggage fees.
I am guessing that they have not updated their website fully, just as contradictions are present on KLM's website regarding baggage allowance (according to one page the extra allowance of one piece is only given to FB elite, while on the other page it is given to all Skyteam Elites).
I have contacted KLM on this and they have said that all Skyteam Elites get to bring one piece extra.

Regarding to the Delta situation, I believe that Skyteam Elite (Plus) are not exempt from the fee, only FB Elite (Plus) are.

Gajan
Old Jan 4, 2011, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Gajan
Regarding to the Delta situation, I believe that Skyteam Elite (Plus) are not exempt from the fee, only FB Elite (Plus) are.

Gajan
Yes. There are other Skyteam Elite (plus) besides those from FB/AFKL. The extra luggage allowance (and the long promised return of the domestic first class upgrades) apply to AFKL Elites, not those of other airlines.

It is not clear to me what that means for FB Elites who are not from the main AF or KL airlines such as Kenyan and potentially AZ in future if MM is replaced with FB...
Old Jan 7, 2011, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM
Yes. There are other Skyteam Elite (plus) besides those from FB/AFKL. The extra luggage allowance (and the long promised return of the domestic first class upgrades) apply to AFKL Elites, not those of other airlines.

It is not clear to me what that means for FB Elites who are not from the main AF or KL airlines such as Kenyan and potentially AZ in future if MM is replaced with FB...
So the privilege of the extra piece of bag of 23kg is restricted to FB E & E+ members but not to other ST E & E+ members?

Glad I upgraded FB to E+ over my DL E !
Old Jan 7, 2011, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
So the privilege of the extra piece of bag of 23kg is restricted to FB E & E+ members but not to other ST E & E+ members?

Glad I upgraded FB to E+ over my DL E !
All Elite (Plus) members get to bring an extra piece on AF/KL operated flights. It is hidden on the KLM website.

Gajan
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:52 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
I found this:

and this: http://www.airfrance.com.cn/CN/en/co..._airfrance.htm

and this: http://corporate.airfrance.com/en/pr...ratuits-sur-1/

Starting on 28 March 2010, Air France and KLM will be extending their checked baggage transport rules that already apply for passengers travelling between Europe and the United States and Canada to the rest of the network. The policy is in line with industry standards.

Before, two different rules existed depending on the destination (piece concept or weight concept). From now on, only the piece concept will be used for all tickets issued as from 28 March 2010.
These new measures, more beneficial for customers than before, will enable Air France and KLM passengers to check in up to 3 bags free of charge weighing up to 23kg each depending on the cabin class.
Flying Blue members as from Silver status will be able to check in an additional bag of up to 23kg, whatever their travel class. Up to now, they benefited from an additional baggage allowance only on routes on which the weight concept applied (Silver 5kg, Gold 10kg and Platinum 20kg).
Air France and KLM are thus confirming their intent to maintain the essential free services and to simplify travel procedures with services which are easier to use and understand for everyone.
One basic rule which is easier to understand and more beneficial to the customers
Weight of each bag maximum 23kg – size: 158 cm (sum of the three 3 dimensions)
Click to view details

Over the baggage allowance of more than 23kg, a set sum to pay:
For each bag weighing more than 23 kg and less than 32 kg*, a set sum will be charged: €100 from Europe, 100 USD from elsewhere**, or the equivalent in local currency
An additional bag ? (excluding Flying Blue benefits)
- Voyageur (AF) and Economy (KL) cabins: 2nd bag for €55 from Europe and 55 USD elsewhere** - Additional bags: €200 or USD per bag
- In other cabins over the baggage allowance: €200 from Europe, 200 USD elsewhere** per bag, or the equivalent in local currency
Air France and KLM offers 20% discount excess baggage charges for customers who check in online (e.g.: €44 instead of €55 / €160 instead of €200)
* Over 32kg: cargo transport
** Special cases: from Canada 100 CAD – 55 CAD – 200 CAD
Additional advantages on some long-haul destinations
On more than 50 routes, customers travelling in the Voyageur or Economy cabins will be able to check in a second bag free of charge.

====>>>> That means FB and FB+ along with DL Elite and Elite+ can check in two bags at 23kgs each? Right? If so, whoopee!
Old Apr 8, 2011, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Can someone points out to me where on the KLM website I can see that either DL elites or Skyteam elites can check an extra bag of 23 kg traveling in Y?

I have a TATL flight coming up in a few months where I fly to EU on DL and back on KL (with DL flight number). I am DL Silver, and don't want to get in the situation that I have to pay for my 2nd bag flying back, when I could take it for free on my way out. I like to have a paper in hand printed from their website showing this benefit.

I checked my booking on klm.com and there was no baggage allowance indicated (may be because the flight is too far out yet).
Old Apr 9, 2011, 2:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Seeking further clarification as an interesting document was posted by Gajan in the DL forum, and they have not fully fulfilled my query:

2. Connection with different allowances

Connections on AF/KL/DL flight numbers

- In the case of a connection under 24 hours

One single contract
Application of the most advantageous allowance

Examples
1st leg 1 PC
2nd leg 2 PC
Application of 2 PC to the entire journey

Separate contracts

Examples
1st leg 1 PC
2nd leg 2 PC
Application of 2 PC to for the entire journey

- In the event of a stopover in excess of 24 hours

One single contract

Examples
1st leg 1 PC
2nd leg 2 PC

Separate contracts

Examples
1st leg 1 PC
2nd leg 2 PC
Unfortunately I have not seen anything similar to this online- as in theory it could give me a larger allotment for baggage. Just curious if anyone knows about this policy in greater detail- would feel a bit more comfortable if it were a printable document I could show the checkin agent in HEL.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM

There is no such thing as an AF elite, a KL elite or a KQ, RO, UX, or SB elite, we are just all FB elite brothers! The DL rules apply for FB members.

PS: Hilariously, on my KL reservations, my FB number usually appears as AF0123456789 and on AF reservations as KL0123456789!!
Old Apr 9, 2011, 3:15 am

Programs: FB M&M AA Amex HH SPG and others
Originally Posted by orbitmic
PS: Hilariously, on my KL reservations, my FB number usually appears as AF0123456789 and on AF reservations as KL0123456789!!
BTW: you have nice easy-to-remember number
Old Apr 10, 2011, 2:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
69 kg allowance

Going to SA soon on AF metal, but was booked through KLM.com originally on a mixed KQ/AF itinerary. Because of the KQ element my baggage allowance was 2 bags (2x23 kg) plus a golf bag (23 kg)( in total 69 kg) + 12 kg carry on bag, which was retained when due to a itinerary change, I was rebooked on all AF.

I plan to make as much use of this as I am able.
Will in future book my trips n KQ as much as possible for allowance reasons, but also because I prefer KQ to KL or AF
Old Apr 11, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by smokingbunny
Starting on 28 March 2010, Air France and KLM will be extending their checked baggage transport rules that already apply for passengers travelling between Europe and the United States and Canada to the rest of the network. The policy is in line with industry standards.
Industry standards?!? That's a good one. I like a good euphemism. There aren't even any baggage SkyTeam standards. Worse, there aren't even any JV standards. DL has a different baggage policy. If you have a flight involving AF/KL and DL, in theory the most lenient baggage rules should apply, but in reality it's often (if not always) the rules of the check-in airline that apply. Given this context, I think it's absurd to say "industry standards".

BTW, thanks for all the useful info, smokingbunny^

Originally Posted by smokingbunny
====>>>> That means FB and FB+ along with DL Elite and Elite+ can check in two bags at 23kgs each? Right? If so, whoopee!
It depends. On DL a SM Elite can check 2 x 70lbs bags (~32kg).

Last edited by Gajan; Apr 11, 2011 at 12:51 pm Reason: Merge posts
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:40 pm

Update: Delta has aligned the baggage allowance with Air France/KLM

--> in Economy no more 2 pieces @ 70 lbs anymore.

Het bagagebeleid van Delta Air Lines is op een aantal punten in lijn gebracht met dat van KLM en AIR FRANCE. De volgende aanpassingen zijn van toepassing voor tickets uitgegeven op of na 1 juli 2011.

• De toeslag voor een tweede bagagestuk op Delta-vluchten van en naar de Verenigde Staten/Canada wordt EUR 75 per enkele reis (bijbetaling op de luchthaven) c.q. EUR 60 per enkele reis (bijbetaling online).
• De bagagevrijstelling voor First/Business Elite-reizigers wordt 2 x 32 kg.
• SkyMiles/Flying Blue Elite Plus en Elite mogen een extra stuk bagage meenemen (indien reizend in First/Business plus 1 x 32 kg, indien reizend in Economy Class plus 1 x 23 kg).
• De overbagagetoeslag (heavy bag fee) wordt verlaagd naar EUR 75 per enkele reis (voor bagagestukken tussen 23 en 32 kg).
• De overbagagetoeslag voor speciale bagage (o.a. fietsen, duikuitrustingen,
surfuitrustingen) wordt verlaagd naar EUR 150 per item per enkele reis. Deze
wijziging is van toepassing voor reizen sinds 1 juni 2011, ongeacht uitgiftedatum van het ticket).
• Voor de terugreis vanuit de VS/Canada gelden de bedragen in USD (CAD vanuit
Canada).
Few points:
  • Second piece will cost E75 (paid at airport) or E60 if bought online;
  • Skyteam Elite (Plus) members can bring an extra piece of 23 kg when travelling in Y or an extra piece of 32 kg when travelling in F/C;
  • The heavy bag fee will be reduced to E75;
  • The special baggage fee is reduced to E150 (bikes, diving equipment, etc.);
  • For departure from CAN/US fees will be charged in CAN$/$.

Last edited by Gajan; Jun 23, 2011 at 6:05 am
Old Jun 23, 2011, 2:46 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Many thanks for the update, Gajan!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.