FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Confusion on weight limt for checked bags at JFK
Old Apr 7, 2011, 2:40 pm
beckoa
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wonderous device: BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.1067 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Originally Posted by Gajan
Originally Posted by florin
I'm asking about travel in Y. The website is ambiguous.

It is not clear if a medallion traveling on a DL flight to AMS connecting to intra-EU KL has to pay for the second checked bag (doubtful, but not impossible), if 2 bags x 50lbs are allowed or if 2 bags x 70lbs are allowed. Of course I would like to inquire, but chances are:
- either I get a random answer that has NOTHING to do with my question (if asked online)
- if I do get an answer to my question (online or by phone), it is not a reliable answer (they do make a lot of stuff up when they don't know the answer)
- if I do get an accurate and correct answer to my question, I'm still going to be playing "Simon says" at the airport
I party agree with Dovster. If all on one ticket and there is no stop in AMS you will get the full 2X 70 lbs for the whole journey.
For the return it will be a different situation.
If travelling Y on KLM a FB/SM Elite member is allowed one extra piece @ 50 lbs for the intra-EU part and one extra piece @ 70 lbs for the trans-Atlantic DL operated segment. In that case (according to the rules) the most advantageous allowance goes.

This is an extract of the information available to travel agents:

2. Connection with different allowances

Connections on AF/KL/DL flight numbers

- In the case of a connection under 24 hours

One single contract
Application of the most advantageous allowance

Examples
1st leg 1 PC
2nd leg 2 PC
Application of 2 PC to the entire journey

Separate contracts

Examples
1st leg 1 PC
2nd leg 2 PC
Application of 2 PC to for the entire journey

- In the event of a stopover in excess of 24 hours

One single contract

Examples
1st leg 1 PC
2nd leg 2 PC

Separate contracts

Examples
1st leg 1 PC
2nd leg 2 PC
Alright now I'm a bit confused by the 2nd part of what was posted. I'm a MVPG75K w/ AS and have an upcoming res to HEL. The outbound I'd get 2x70 lbs as AS honors the baggage allotment of the int'l flight. However w/ a return of HEL-AMS-SEA-ANC, (KL code/KL op, KL code/DL op, KL code/AS op) would I have 1x 50lb allotment or more? (I thought it was the former, but the travel agent info adds a new twist) -Thx