Wiki Posts
Search

AF improves booking engine!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2007, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold
Thumbs up AF improves booking engine!

Yesterday while browsing flights from ZRH to HKG for February, I saw, that you're now able to buy an upgrade from the cheapest (L) fare which gives only 25 % FB-miles, to the next higher (V) fare for CHF 80,00. This is a major improvement for us FB-members! However, on the aifrance.us site, I didn't find this feature yet.

I deeply hope that KLM will also adabt their booking engine, so in fact it would be really useful.

Michael
Old Dec 11, 2007, 10:12 am

I agree that offering that choice similar to what nwa.com does sound like an improvement. On the other hand, if the only difference between the two booking classes is earning 25% or 100% of miles, then we are simply moving to a system where one can opt to buy optional miles as if they are paid-for savings stamps at retail store.

As a FB Gold Elite, you receive 20.184 miles for this flight vs. 5.046 without "upgrading" it. So, you are paying 80 franc or about 50 euros for 15.138 miles. It takes 80.000 miles to be able to buy an award ticket to ZRH-HKG for about 250 euros in fees. So you would need to buy four round trips at the higher priced booking class to get the award ticket which would cost you 4x50+250=450 euros. Since you can buy an AF economy ticket for 895 CHF (537 euro) or even less, it basically means that your award ticket has now become something which you have almost completely paid for in cash in advance!
Old Dec 11, 2007, 3:31 pm

Although the extra cost does not necessarily justify the extra miles, it may also help you to get or keep status. That has some value too... I cannot wait to see that available on the US website...
Old Dec 11, 2007, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM
...As a FB Gold Elite, you receive 20.184 miles for this flight vs. 5.046 without "upgrading" it. ...
Re-check your calculations: You get 11,940 miles for CDG-HKG (return) plus 1,500 ZRH-CDG, makes a total of 13,440 with or 3,360 without upgrading. This changes all numbers indicated, but the overall argument may still be valid.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by af fp
Although the extra cost does not necessarily justify the extra miles, it may also help you to get or keep status. That has some value too...
That's exactly what I need: I don't fly very often, (3x ZRH-MNL return per year, sometimes direct, sometimes through HKG plus maybe 1 intra-Europe return). If I'm able to book V instead L in AF (or T instead V in KL), I can keep my GE status for CHF 240,00/year. The 10kgs extra buggage plus the lounge access is worth that - at least for me.

For someone who qualifies through segments, said option is less useful, of course.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:48 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
@ #2 and #4: I am surprised to see that people with more than 900 and 500 posts here, respectively, make this point. As you most certainly know, the value of miles depends on what you intend to do with them.

Let's assume (in line with #4) you can "buy" 10000 miles for EUR 50, which implies that you can get an F(=A)-class trip from Europe to LAX for EUR 500 + taxes, for example. Admittedly, this is a rather extreme case. However, buying Y-tickets with miles is the opposite extreme. I would not recommend this to anyone. (Unless you need a ticket on short notice and are so lucky as to find an award seat, or need a one-way ticket.)

In sum, I just recommend that people have a clear idea of what they would like to use their miles for and do the numbers accordingly.

Let me add a personal statement: I like Flyertalk very much but I am surprised about the amount of statements here that just seem to aim at writing something negative even when there is some good news. I just hope you have a more positive approach to life outside flyertalk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.