Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF Toronto CRASH Points to Pilot Error...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2005, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
AF Toronto CRASH Points to Pilot Error...

This thread was posted by imverge on the Newsstand thread, but I thought this was most appropriate here as well:

Got this story on www.cbc.ca

Air France refuses comment on report pointing to pilot error in Toronto crash

11:25 AM EDT Sep 15

PARIS (AP) - Air France said it would not confirm or deny a newspaper report Thursday that said the crash of a jet in Toronto last month could have been caused by pilot error.

Le Figaro newspaper said that analysis of one of the plane's flight recorders showed that 12 seconds elapsed between the moment the plane touched down and when pilots applied the reverse thrusters, which are used to assist braking.

The newspaper did not say how it obtained the information.

Air France spokeswoman Marina Tymen said the company had no comment on the report while the investigation into the Aug. 2 crash was continuing. She said the black boxes were still in the possession of Canadian authorities.

"We can neither confirm nor deny it," she said. "We don't comment on newspaper reports whatever they are."

Air France Flight 358 from Paris landed at Toronto's Lester B. Pearson International Airport amid heavy thunderstorms, skidding off the runway for about 200 metres before slamming into a ravine and catching fire.

None of the 309 passengers and crew members died.

The Figaro report said that experts found the 12-second delay to be "excessive." It said that the black box recordings were expected to be made public Oct. 4.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 1:06 pm

Programs: Air France Platinum - Qatar Airways Gold
Radio Canada has just revealed (non official source: Transports Canada) there was an additional "passenger" in the cockpit when the crash occurred. It was most probably a crew member's relative.

On a side note, they also say YYZ's fire brigade didn't have a map of an A340.

Source in French
Old Feb 17, 2006, 4:39 am
Suspended

A necessary and important step of investigating such accidents is that every player involved plays with open cards, but I fear and unfortunately not for the first time, some players involved in this accident, see it a little bit different.

Since aircraft slide off runways every once in a while, there is not much reputation to loose anyway.

http://www.airdisaster.com/photos/f-gita/photo.shtml

http://aviation-safety.net/photos/di...0&vnr=1&kind=C

Thankfully nobody died and since the plane and all associated costs are covered by insurances anyway, it is not that bad. Considering that all hull insurance companies charged quite a premium after Sep. 11 , AF gets some of its high fees back...
Old Feb 17, 2006, 5:09 am

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat(x2), BMI Gold, IC Ambassador, etc
These are both (now) technically in AF/KLM history that you linked?
Old Dec 12, 2007, 4:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Radisson Rewards Gold, Marriott Platinum
Final report out

Air France Flight 358 came in too high and too fast when it overshot a runway and crashed in heavy rain at Toronto's Pearson International Airport in August 2005, a final report says.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...l_gam_mostview
Old Dec 13, 2007, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Do you this mean Department of Transportations still investigated with AF crashes in YYZ? I remember when all passengers & crew were escaped from aircraft. it was barely made it the passengers gotten off the aircraft during AF evacuations from planes. It could be worse nightmare what happened AF were skidded off the runway in YYZ. I can't decent why AF is done very good job what they are doing for evacuations from aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.