Community
Wiki Posts
Search

e-check in without BP

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2006, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA ExClub Blue (ex Silver), Flying Blue Silver (ex Platinum), M&M forever base soldier
e-check in without BP

I just checked in on-line for AF69 (the first time I do this from a US airport). After the usual series of questions, seat assignment confirmation, etc., I thought I would be issued a boarding pass. No! Only a "check-in confirmation" screen appears, which asks me to show up at LAX at least 1 hour before the flight, queue to get a boarding pass, queue again to register the bags, etc.

So what's the point of electronic check-in if it does not save you time at the airport?
Old Nov 18, 2006, 12:55 pm

Programs: Many
From my experience, it is related to US destinations.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
and be prepared to get SSSS
Old Nov 18, 2006, 1:26 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by albireo
So what's the point of electronic check-in if it does not save you time at the airport?
To allow you to choose the seat of your preference, enter all information needed for swift issuance of your boarding pass with less time spent in front of the check-in counter, ...

In any event, to the best of my knowledge, AF at LAX cannot handle online boarding documents. Plus, no kiosks, hence the need to get the BP at the counter.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 3:38 pm
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by rcs85551
Plus, no kiosks, hence the need to get the BP at the counter.
That's the same in SFO
Old Nov 22, 2006, 9:51 am

KLM does the same in NBO
Old Nov 24, 2006, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I did inquire about this question in JFK. They told me that the check-in agent has to verify your passport (with the outgoing immigration slip that was stappled when you flew into the country) and ask you some security questions. If you had a printed boarding pass, you could go directly through security and board the A/C. As we have all noticed, there is no US immagration to clear when leaving the country. The answer makes sense.
Electronic check-in allow to get a confirmed seat number, but does not save time at the airport (I do not think that it allows to speed the check-in process as a lot of people try to renegociate their seat assignment).
Old Nov 24, 2006, 10:38 pm

Each location is supposed to have at least one dedicated counter position for "e-services" baggage drop-off and boarding card collection for those having completed online "pre" check-in.

One very important advantage if you are flying during busy periods: you are counted as being checked-in the moment you complete the online process. So, even if you show up at the end of check-in (e.g., 61 minutes before departure), you do not risk being denied boarding.

On another note, JFK will be the first USA location with kiosks in 2007.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by brunos
I did inquire about this question in JFK. They told me that the check-in agent has to verify your passport (with the outgoing immigration slip that was stappled when you flew into the country) and ask you some security questions. If you had a printed boarding pass, you could go directly through security and board the A/C. As we have all noticed, there is no US immagration to clear when leaving the country. The answer makes sense.
Electronic check-in allow to get a confirmed seat number, but does not save time at the airport (I do not think that it allows to speed the check-in process as a lot of people try to renegociate their seat assignment).
so can other airlines do it then? NW prints INT on your BP and it is your responsibility to go and swipe the passport at the airport. No lines, no wait, just going to self service and swiping the passport gets you all the clearance needed. Actually, lounge staff can do it for you as well. So there are definitely other options.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Interesting. Does swiping the passport only applies to US citizens?
Old Nov 25, 2006, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
so can other airlines do it then? NW prints INT on your BP and it is your responsibility to go and swipe the passport at the airport. No lines, no wait, just going to self service and swiping the passport gets you all the clearance needed. Actually, lounge staff can do it for you as well. So there are definitely other options.
AF doesn't have self-service kisosks at USA stations (yet). At CDG, for example, there is an entire bank of kiosks available, along with agents ready to take your baggage. I've used it at Terminal 2E and there has never been a line...the kiosk even prints a US Customs landing card for you.

Please keep in mind that NW and all the USA-based carriers use their own proprietary technology at airports, with dedicated counters. So, hooking up kiosks isn't as much of a problem compared to a lot of foreign carriers who operate from shared counter space and operating on CUTE computers (common use terminal equipment) without their own data lines or leased floor space to install kiosks in airport lobbies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.