Wiki Posts
Search

Air France Catering - lets have your menus

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2006, 1:09 pm

Programs: Air France Platinum - Qatar Airways Gold
Originally Posted by doudou
Service in F out of NY is very poor.
Here we go with a recent (Aug. 2006) example of what they serve out of JFK (AF009, last flight to Paris).

Dinner

Hors d'Oeuvre

Duck foie gras with marinated cucumber and carrots with sumac
White radish ravioli with ricotta, watercress and parsley flan

Choice of main course

Filet of beef accompanied with Modena vinegar jus, sweet potato and artichoke with five-spice seasoning

Eggplant variation

Our special selection of cheese

Fresh bakery selection

Dessert
Petits fours frais
Strawberries and kumquats flavored with coriander
So essentially there was no choice of starter and no choice of dessert. And 2 choices of main course, one of which is 100% vegetarian (though it was not explicit on the menu). AF uses 2 full pages of the menu to explain how superb* their wines are and which dishes they will match best but there is not one single word about "sumac" and "eggplant variation".

(*I particularly enjoyed the comment on the Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blanc Brut 1997 saying "Enjoy this delightful Champagne as an aperitive", therefore discouraging in a subliminal way passengers' requests for Champagne refills to go with the starter and the main course... )

Well, if you skipped the cheese and didn't finish the surprisingly tasteless Foie Gras, you ended up with a meal closer to a snack than to a real dinner, considering the overall "veggie" touch of Guy Martin, even for desserts. I did appreciate the eggplant variation but I must say this looked like a somewhat experimental dish that could easily disconcert more traditional tastebuds. And I will forever remain ignorant of what the crumbly little things on the eggplant were (pecan nuts by chance?).

The coriander flavored strawberries and kumquats were deliciously refreshing.

My thoughts for what should be the minimal standard structure of a decent first class evening meal:
Amuse bouche

Choice of 2 hors d'oeuvre

Soup (winter) or salad (summer)

Choice of at leat 3 main courses (mandatory), including meat, fish or seafood and a vegetarian option (based on eggs, pasta, vegetables...)

Selection of cheese

Choice of 4 desserts: pastry (mandatory), fruit salad, fresh fruit, selected sherbet and ice cream with petits fours. Not the same sherbet and cookies as in Affaires, but superior ones. I suggest they consider a partnership with Berthillon, Ladurée or Dalloyau.
And increasing the servings would certainly help too, especially for hors d'oeuvres and desserts.

Originally Posted by doudou
I agree with Jouy31 that AF should be ashamed of the wine they serve. I strongly disagree that "these are selected for their quality not just name". Wines served are simply inexpensive wines. Serving Bordeaux Cru Bourgeois of small repute (not even a Grand Cru of lesser ranking), and lesser burgundies (mercurey, savigny) is shameful.
I beg to differ. On my flight the wine list was quite decent, with almost exclusively Grand Cru or Grand Cru classé wines and vintage Champagne:
Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut 1997
Barsac Château Doisy-Védrines 2002 Cru Classé de Sauternes Castéja
Tokay Pinot Gris Grand Cru Furstentum 2001 Paul Blanck
Chinon Clos de l'Echo 2002 Couly Dutheil
Pauillac Château Haut Bages Libéral 2002 Grand Cru Classé
The Tokay and the Chinon were both memorable.

Edited to add that Bas-Armagnac 1991, Cognac XO and Calvados Hors d'Age offered on board become almost useless since the meals get lighter and lighter (less meats, less sauces) and with smaller servings.

Last edited by Falco Peregrinus; Aug 30, 2006 at 1:24 pm
Old Aug 30, 2006, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I got exactly the same menu as Falco on AF 007 departing from JFK at 7:15 last week, a schedule that cannot be called a late night flight. Consider that you have to leave NY before 5pm and that there is no dining in the lounge (note that the F lounge has disapeared as everywhere and been merged into the C lounge). I fully share Falco's views: That this is not a proper F menu. Besides there are no fesh fruits in the evening. The foie was utterly disapointing. Funnily I got two small bottles of oil and vinegar but no salad to use them. It would not slow dinner service to have options for starters and main dish. If you like to eat fish or seafood, not a chance. The CDG-JFK lunch is so much better and up to F standards.
I enjoy good wines and have a different opinion from Falco's (sorry) . The Taittinger chapagne is not up to the Dom Perignon or Krug served in other airlines. Indeed the Haut-Bages-Liberal was good and a great improvement over the cru bourgeois usually served (bravo AF). But I found the Chinon mediocre as well as the Tokay which was very sweet (tried two bottles). Actually there were two sweet wines (Sauterne and Alsace) but no dry wine à la Burgundy. Had the same wines on the CDG-JFK, and a white burgundy (dry) was so badly missing that the FA went to get some from C cabin (not at my request).
Old Aug 31, 2006, 2:29 pm

AF267, ICN CDG, Espace Affaires

Traditional Service

Choice of Hors d'Oeuvre
Marinated shrimp and salmon with dill, enoki mushroom and fresh seasonal salad

or

Chicken roulade with Mexican-style shrimp and vegetable salad accompanied by mixed salad

~~~~~~~~

Choice of Main Courses
Grilled tournedos of beef accompanied by broccoli, bell peppers and mashed potatoes with onions and apples

or

Fillet of cod served with sea urchin sauce, papardelle pasta with chive, sautéed spinach and cherry tomato

or

Beef gal bi (Korean dish of the day): short ribs of beef, marinated then cooked in a spicy sauce of garlic, shallots, soy sauce, oil and sesame seeds, served with steamed rice, pak choy and chap chae.

~~~~~~~~

Our special selection of cheese

~~~~~~~~

Assortment of desserts

Raspberry mille-feuille, pecan tart, sherbet served with cookies, choice of frsh fruit

~~~~~~~~

Meal service (second meal)

Hors d'oeuvre
Mimosa salad

~~~~~~~~

Choice of main courses

Oxtail parmentier accompanied by parisienne zucchini and carrots
Sautéed chicken with oyster sauce, vegetable fricassee and Chinese noodles

~~~~~~~~

Dessert

Crème caramel

Selection of cheese available upon request

Edited to add: same wine list as AF 257 SIN - CDG (see next post)

Last edited by Falco Peregrinus; Sep 2, 2006 at 12:28 am Reason: wine list
Old Sep 1, 2006, 6:49 am

Programs: FB GLD, AA GLD, HH Silver, UA GM
AF 257 SIN - CDG l'Espace Affaires 31/08/2006

Choice of Hors d'Oeuvre
Swiss air-dried beef and Parma ham

or

Seafood salad with Mango

-----------------------------------------
Choice of Main Courses
Grilled tournedos of beef served with cèpe mushroom sauce, potatoes au gratin, asparagus and grilled red bell pepper

or

Pan-seared fillet of perch accompanied by lemon oyster sauce, pak choy and Japanese-style rice balls

or

Plat du jour: Breast of chicken with curry

-------------------------------------------
Selection of cheese

Dessert
Strawberry tart, red currant chocolate cake, sherbet served with cookies, choice of fresh fruit

Wine list
Jacquard Brut de Nominée
Chablis Champs Royaux 2004 William Fèvre
Corbières Domaine de Villemajou 2003 Gérard Bertrand
Haut-Médoc Chateau de Villambis 2003 Cru Bourgeois
Old Sep 16, 2006, 12:24 am

AF112 CDG-PVG (Economy)

Meal Service

Apéritif

Champagne Jacquart Brut Mosaïque

~~~~~~~~~

Bulghur wheat salad with grilled vegetables

~~~~~~~~~

Choice of main course
Beef with onions accompanied by mashed potatoes, carrots and snow peas

or

Chinese style marinated chicken and vermicelli with sesame oil

~~~~~~~~~

Camembert cheese
Yogurt
Blackcurrant and vanilla crumble
Coffe and tea

~~~~~~~~~

Vin de Pays d'Oc sauvignon La Baume 2005 (available in white and red)
Old Sep 16, 2006, 6:18 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
CDG - LAX AF 062 09/09/2006 L'Espace Affaires

Choice of Hors d'Oeuvre
Duck foie gras terrine and fig chutney

or

Salmon and cucumber salad with horseradish
-----------------------------------------
Choice of Main Courses
Pan-seared lamb noisette served with herbed artichoke bottom and Provençale-style tomato

or

Sautéed shrimp accompagnied by lemon balm cream sauce, carrots with hazelnut oil and basmati rice with pine nuts

or

Plat du jour: Fillet of free-range chicken

Our Special Selection of Cheese
Camembert, Saint-Maure, Comté

Assortment of Desserts
Sachertorte, pear puff pastry, sherbet served with cookies, choice of fresh fruit

Espresso is served at our bar Espace

Wine list
Jacquard Brut de Nominée
Chablis Champs Royaux 2004 William Fèvre
Corbières Domaine de Villemajou 2003 Gérard Bertrand
Haut-Médoc Chateau de Villambis 2003 Cru Bourgeois
Old Sep 16, 2006, 6:29 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LAX - CDG AF 069 Economy 10/09/2006

Apéritif

~~~~~~~~~

Meal Service

Mediterranean pasta salad with flaked tuna

~~~~~~~~~

Choice of main course
Roasted thigh of chicken with thyme, baby vegetables and herbed mashed potatoes
or

Poached salmon accompagnied by bell pepper compote and saffron rice
~~~~~~~~~

Cheese
Fresh fruit
Cheese cake
Coffe and tea

~~~~~~~~~

White Wine
Vin de Pays d'Oc Sauvignon La Baume 2005

Red Wine
Vin de Pays d'Oc Syrah 2004 Castel
Old Sep 17, 2006, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by G_G
Plat du jour: Fillet of free-range chicken
Red alert! They also serve the fillet of free-range chicken in l'Espace Première as a Plat du Jour. Same chicken? Is it tastier in Première, considering a first class chicken should have more legroom than a business class chicken?
Old Sep 17, 2006, 6:43 am

Programs: BA ExClub Blue (ex Silver), Flying Blue Silver (ex Platinum), M&M forever base soldier
Originally Posted by Falco Peregrinus
They also serve the fillet of free-range chicken in l'Espace Première as a Plat du Jour.
Chicken in First Class...
Old Sep 17, 2006, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by albireo
Chicken in First Class...
Poulet de Bresse AOC
Old Sep 17, 2006, 7:21 am
Suspended

Let`s hope AF does not follow the downward path of carriers as United Airlines, which in fact used to serve the same main meals in C and F. F had a choice of more meals, but one or two were also available in C.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Threy
Let`s hope AF does not follow the downward path of carriers as United Airlines, which in fact used to serve the same main meals in C and F. F had a choice of more meals, but one or two were also available in C.
Well, I mentioned this in a recent thread. And I think it's a good topic for discussion; if the mods want to open a new thread for it, fine.

My last flight in First was Houston-Paris in July. I was the only passenger, and I had a lovely FA who encouraged me to taste everything I could. The menu is more elaborate and varied (specifically in the appetizer portion), but it's basically a glorified Business class menu. I know this because I have recently eaten exactlty the same food in both First and Business, and it is only the presentation and tableware that is different.

I also think the wine selection has gone downhill in the AF premium cabins; the only Bordeaux in Business is now a Cru Bourgeois, sorry, but for the flag carrier of France, they can do better than this. The Champagne selection has also suffered.

Shall we discuss the new practice of serving the cheese course with the main course in the Business cabin?
Old Sep 17, 2006, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by blairvanhorn
I also think the wine selection has gone downhill in the AF premium cabins; the only Bordeaux in Business is now a Cru Bourgeois, sorry, but for the flag carrier of France, they can do better than this. The Champagne selection has also suffered.

Shall we discuss the new practice of serving the cheese course with the main course in the Business cabin?
I could not agree more !! and on my recent flight in F to JFK, they forgot to serve wine with the main course
Old Sep 17, 2006, 12:59 pm
TGV

Programs: FB Life Platinum
CCS - CDG AF 461 Economy 09/09/2006

Apéritif

~~~~~~~~~

Meal Service

Smoked salmon accompanied by a vegetable medley
~~~~~~~~~

Choice of main course

Goulash with baked potatoes and sautéed zucchini
or
Farfalle pasta, béchamel sauce, parmesan chesses, ham julienne and tomatoes with oregano
~~~~~~~~~

Cheese
Crème caramel
Coffe and tea

~~~~~~~~~
In addition there was a small pot of tamarind cream.

Red Wine
Vin de Pays d'Oc Merlot La Baume 2005

White wine
Vin de Pays d'Oc Sauvignon La Baume 2005
Old Sep 17, 2006, 1:52 pm
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrissxb
Poulet de Bresse AOC

or "Chapon" maybe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.