Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Internet access workstations in AF lounges

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2005, 12:08 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!
Original Poster

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Going even more off topic , France was one of the few places where ATM technology was adopted enthusiastically over IP. And although IP won the day, I still love what we were able to do with ATM !
Old Feb 24, 2005, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, and Gruppe Bull was supposed to be the big computer company that pushed it all through. Minitel was actually something when it was introduced, wonderful for finding phone numbers, booking train tickets or hookers (I've heard). The problem of course was that it could not compete with the net and this was a severe mistake by the French techno's. Anyway, my question is whether these new computers still have that incredibly slow and annoying Europages frame/programme or not?
Old Feb 24, 2005, 6:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold DL Gold VY apologist
All they have is a crappy, crappy browser application that takes up the entire screen - nothing else. There are some bouncy icons at the top that are supposed to mimic...whatever that bouncy thing is at the bottom of a Mac screen, but they don't do anything. Seriously, this application looks like it was written by a six-year-old.

Taped to the desks next to each machine is a piece of paper telling you that you have to type "http://" before the url and use the "OK" button, because pressing ENTER doesn't work either.
Old Feb 26, 2005, 6:36 am
In Memoriam

Programs: I used to be Plat, but now I'm not. Now I'm just Gold. Lucky if I keep that.
Should I transfer this thread to the technology forum?

We seem to have a couple of threads at the moment that have turned into discussions not relating to Air France (Whitney, I'm looking in your direction)
Old Feb 26, 2005, 9:27 am

Programs: Flying Blue life Platinum , *A Gold ,PC Plat. IC Royal Ambassador , SPG Platinum
Thumbs down MACs lounge

it's not the problem with mac or pc....in the past PCs didn't work at all
no it's not better. That means that the problem comes from the technicians
who are no able to do a good job. That's all. I was yesterday in 2C lounge and 2D lounge . In each 50% of the mac were out of use !! and the the other was so slow, that you have time to fly and return anywhere before the requested website appears.....Usually , i don't use them and connect my laptop (a apple powerbook) with the wireless ADP system (with credit card #) , ok it's not free, but it works (don't use orange , it's too slow ans falls down very often)

Last edited by JC25; Feb 26, 2005 at 9:29 am
Old Feb 27, 2005, 4:06 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
Just for reference when in HKG if you go near the real lounges aka Star Alliance, they have wirlesss and the log on code is 60511
Old Feb 27, 2005, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
FWIW Orange works fine for me in 2F at CDG. I'm an Orange GSM subscriber so the price is right too.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 10:48 am

Location: Napa, California - DL demoted to xx, AF+ Rouge, FB Platinum
Programs: Air France, Delta
Just remembered that I had promised to take a look at these new iMac.
Interesting enough, I just bought one myself, and received it a couple a days ago.

In the lounge @ 2D they had put the computers in a section of the smoking part of the lounge. I guess that not may people are smoking anymore, so there are better space there. There was either 6 or 8 iMacs there.

You can use an unknown browser. It has a pop-up blocker, so it can be difficult to work with for some websites.
You couldn't use any of the standard Apple programs.
There was a list of sponsors of the computers in the lounge. A click on their name would bring you to their website.

The lounge in 2C had a number of iMacs. Didn't go back in the lounge, so I don't know how many.
An older Indian gentleman was trying to read his e-mail on AOL. Asked for help. He could log into AOL and see his e-mail, but when he tried to open them nothing happened. I think that AOL tries to open the e-mail in a new window, but the browser blocks it. Couldn't find a way to turn this function off.

No computer in the lounge in Bordeaux nor San Francisco.

The iMac is an excellent computer, but the special software installed need to be changed or improved.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 1:31 am

Programs: SkyMiles Platinum, Skywards Silver
Using a regular browser on AF lounge iMacs

A secret, currently being employed from the lounge in 2F : to exit the AF browser application and get a normal computer, press alt-Apple-esc, select "AppAirFrance" then "Forcer quitter" - and the result is the normal Mac operating system. You can then start Safari from the Dock and surf away...
Old Apr 24, 2005, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold DL Gold VY apologist
Originally Posted by puck
A secret, currently being employed from the lounge in 2F : to exit the AF browser application and get a normal computer, press alt-Apple-esc, select "AppAirFrance" then "Forcer quitter" - and the result is the normal Mac operating system. You can then start Safari from the Dock and surf away...
Remind me to buy you a beer if I ever meet you in an airport!
Old Apr 24, 2005, 5:14 am

Programs: FB Plat for life
currently in 2C and tried your trick it is working pefectly, thanks it definetly helps to access any website
Old Apr 24, 2005, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Good to know . I'll use it in 2C this evening !
Old Apr 25, 2005, 11:04 pm

Programs: AF Flying Blue Platinum, IC Platinum Ambassador, HH Gold
Thank you so much for the tip!! I'm currently using one of the workstations in the lounge at 2D and it's a big help.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Internet access workstations in AF lounges (2)

It seems that the workstations (at least in the 2F1 lounge ) now use Safari as browser, which is quite an improvement. ^

Last edited by JOUY31; Mar 4, 2006 at 6:14 am Reason: housekeeping - merger of threads
Old Jul 10, 2005, 4:41 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JOUY31
Continuing on our previous thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402356

it seems that the workstations (at least in the 2F1 lounge ) now use Safari as browser, which is quite an improvement. ^
Yeah, if the damn things ever work, that is!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.