Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATH lounge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2002, 10:20 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!
Original Poster

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
ATH lounge

AF has switched from using the Aegean Airlines lounge to the Goldair Handling lounge, which is shared by many airlines. In my opinion, this lounge is far more crowded than the Aegean lounge and the toilets are now outside the lounge. Not a very good move.

I will try the AZ lounge the next time I pass through ATH.
Old Mar 5, 2002, 9:35 am

Is the new lounge any closer to the AF ticket counter and gates? I remember having to trek from one end of the terminal to the other, and back again, last November when flying ATH-CDG.
Old Mar 5, 2002, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Actually it is some meters farther away. The AZ lounge, which I haven't visited, is the last one after the Goldair Handling Lounge.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Athens lounge

After a year of using the Goldair Handling lounge, which was not as good as the Aegean Airlines lounge ( http://www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ft...ML/000321.html ), AF passengers are now directed to the AZ lounge. Some minor details
- very limited selection of drinks
- toilets in the lounge (I mention this because it was not the case in the Goldair Handling lounge)
- paid (!) internet access workstation.

The problem with this lounge is that it is located at the far end of the terminal (gate B15), after a security check. So we had to explain to the security agents that we were only trying to reach the lounge (I hope they get accustomed to it) and that we would be headed the other way around some time later to reach the boarding gate (usually around B07, but farther away that morning, B03)

[This message has been edited by JOUY31 (edited 06-09-2003).]
Old Jun 10, 2003, 8:01 am

As a further caution to our colleagues who smoke, there is no smoking permitted in the AZ lounge nor are there any smoking areas nearby. The closest one that I have found is in the coffee shop outside security at about gate B10.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Two of my friends were flying back from ATH to CDG tonight in C; they do not have any status with AF. I was surprised to see that they were given an AF invitation to the Goldair handling lounge, instead of the AZ lounge. I'll check on that when I fly back on Thursday.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
The AZ lounge (naturally) has better cappuccino than the Goldair lounge. Although I too hate having to go thru security to use the AZ lounge.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Well, the security check had been moved to the right, so that you could use the AZ lounge without a problem. So, it was no longer an issue. I have just checked in (no online check-in with my BA e-ticket, but I did manage to snatch my favorite seat, 2D ^ ) and I am also directed to the same Goldair handling lounge (which is not as bad as the overcrowded LH business lounge, but still lacks washrooms) as an elite status passenger, just as my colleagues who were business class passengers with no status. As the flight is delayed by an hour due to some ATC issues in Paris, I'll just go and have a nice drink at the Sofitel. If AF needs to redirect passengers away from the smaller AZ lounge, they should have an agreement with OA, who have by far the best facilities.

The Lavazza ristretto they have in the Goldair lounge is not bad at all, BTW ^. One Internet workstation, no English or French language newspaper or magazine, except for Elite Travel or AF magazine.

Last edited by JOUY31; Apr 12, 2007 at 7:36 am
Old Apr 12, 2007, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by JOUY31
...The Lavazza ristretto they have in the Goldair lounge is not bad at all, BTW ^. One Internet workstation, no English or French language newspaper or magazine, except for Elite Travel or AF magazine.
Yes, the ristretto is much, much better at the Goldair lounge than at AZ. The lounge, though, is indeed not the best one. OA is the best, A3 isn't bad (also good espresso), though often full, LH sucks (too small and smoking allowed -sometimes) and SOFITEL, well, not a bad idea but definitely the most expensive one.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 7:51 am

Can a Sky Team Elite + use the lounges at ATH? or is it only for Flying Blue plt?

Nancy
Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by TXNancy
Can a Sky Team Elite + use the lounges at ATH? or is it only for Flying Blue plt?

Nancy
If I'm not wrong you can, provided you have a same-day international skyteam ticket (not absolutely certain, though). Nevertheless, the ladies at the Goldair lounge are usually anything but dragons: they're extremely nice and you could try to talk them into letting you in even if you're not entitled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.