Search

Language concerns win out over safety concerns

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2000, 11:54 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Language concerns win out over safety concerns

Just one more reason why I'm not particularly fond of AF, personally- in addition to little things like semi-permanent strikes and "customer service!"

Today they announced that they will again return, (after only 10 days of the new "English policy"), to speaking French in the cockpit, defying all safety concerns and international aviation convention.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum94/HTML/001170.html

In response to Rudi below, my intention was not to repeat any argument in any fori. This was a "new" item, as I saw it- that is a return to an "old" policy due to the pilots union. It's also the first time I expressed any opinion about the matter. As I said, to me, it's a shame I don't see any prblem personally with a remark in both the AF forum and The Buzz, since this has been common FT practice, as I understood it for some time. Having said that, I apologize for any misunderstanding.

[This message has been edited by doc (edited 04-06-2000).]
Old Apr 6, 2000, 1:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
repeating the same arguments over and over in different forums makes me repeating mine too:

The topic is in general controversial and their are good arguments for both positions. And believe a neutral (german speaking) swiss: the french aren't idiots either - nor are those opposed to (some) french arguments.
Old Apr 7, 2000, 5:54 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Air France is reported to have backed away from a recent directive ordering its pilots to communicate in English with air traffic controllers at Paris Charles de Gaulle airport.

The decision to suspend the rule was made after consulting controllers, pilots and government officials, an Air France spokeswoman said Thursday.

The airline denied that the suspension was in response to political pressure and said the rule could be re-imposed. It said it wanted first to study the effects of the order for what it called a "trial period."

The rule came into effect on March 23 and was part of what company officials called "prevention and safety of flights."

The about face by France's national carrier reflects the sensitivity of the authorities to the creeping use of English and a decline in the importance of the French language in commercial activities.
http://news.airwise.com/index.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.