Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fares Available but rebooking into higher — going crazy?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2023, 4:09 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
moreover expertflyer availability might not be accurate - it's complicated, because availabilty might be different based on the point of sale - however airlines have started to use avialability based on the point of commencement for which the availability can be different again.

in January I could rebook the inbound on an O and Z fare from SIN to NUE via CDG (only two days prior to departure - moved flight from Jan 6 to Jan 2). the rebooking options shown on the air france website did not match any availability info shown on expertflyer (no matter which POS I entered).
I’ve noticed this too on a few occasions. I wonder if this is something their team would be able to solve by extending the query parameter set. Though being able to is one thing I guess - I have found their support rather bad, and they are often unwilling to even discuss changes or improvements.

One thing to complicate these searches for complex itineraries is the married segments logic. The beta version of the EF website does a little better with this, as it also allows putting alerts on the combined segments rather than individual flights - allowing to get notified if there is availability. But it is often still a little wonky, and like you, I’ve seen availability that is consistently reported/alerted on EF but not available through AFKL.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite+, FB Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Diamond, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador
Thanks everyone for the input. Fare classes and rules are indeed hell and the restrictions around purchase date etc certainly could be affecting what I'd be able to book.
That said, a couple of updates on my specific case:
-> After insistir again the excellent team of AF over Messenger figured out it was indeed a glitch and I should be able to book into available classes.
-> It seems Z and O availability shown on ExpertFlyer (even though this is not a complex itinerary rather a direct one-segment flight) is bogus or at least non bookable. Both the AF social media team and a quick attempt at booking via Expedia show "I" as the lowest fare bookable.
-> AF is happy to let me rebook into "I" for a much less crazy fare difference.

So it seems in this case at least information I was provided multiple times was indeed wrong.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Glad it finally worked out!

Originally Posted by ricardojrsousa
-> AF is happy to let me rebook into "I" for a much less crazy fare difference.
Would you care to share how much the change ended up costing?
Old Aug 15, 2023, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite+, FB Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Diamond, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Glad it finally worked out!

Would you care to share how much the change ended up costing?
Haven't pressed the trigger just yet eheh (as it still is a considerable chunk) but it's quoted at 653 EUR vs. 3055 EUR earlier.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 5:35 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, United Mileage Plus, Marriott Lifetime Silver, SPG Platinum
Other option would have been to change after departure which is priced on historical.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by keneshhagard
Other option would have been to change after departure which is priced on historical.
I must admit I have never tried this, but I have an upcoming ticket (on BA) for which I need to change the return, as I need to return home sooner than intended when I made the booking (during a ridiculously cheap sale, so absolutely no scope to change the return date prior to departure).

I know the fare rules say I should be able to change for the historical fare after departure, but I am also a bit paranoid that the availability will not be there, or that some other fare rule or restriction will kick in to nix the ability to change the date to one I find more favourable.

Just in case, I've already locked in a Flying Blue award to get me home, just in case it all goes wrong and I have to forfeit my BA return due to being unable to change it to an acceptable date at an acceptable price.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I know the fare rules say I should be able to change for the historical fare after departure, but I am also a bit paranoid that the availability will not be there, or that some other fare rule or restriction will kick in to nix the ability to change the date to one I find more favourable.
Pardon my ignorance , but what is this "historical fare" rule ?
carnarvon likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Pardon my ignorance , but what is this "historical fare" rule ?
Most fare rules have a rule such as the following (taken randomly from a BA ticket similar to the one I want to change) where I've highlighted the requirement to use historical fares once a reprice is initiated after departure of the first leg.

In this example historical fares must also be used in other circumstances, but the ticket I have isn't quite this lenient in this regard; I only get access to historical fares after flying the outbound

Code:
 --- REPRICING CONDITIONS ---
          REPRICE USING ANY FARE TYPE EXCEPT ERU AND EOU.
          A. BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY WHEN THE FIRST
          FARE COMPONENT IS CHANGED THE ITINERARY MUST BE
          RE-PRICED USING CURRENT FARES IN EFFECT ON THE
          DATE THE TICKET IS REISSUED.
          B. BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY WHEN CHANGES ARE
          TO BOOKING CODE ONLY IN THE FIRST FARE COMPONENT
          AND RESULT IN A HIGHER FARE THE ITINERARY MUST BE
          RE-PRICED USING HISTORICAL FARES IN EFFECT ON THE
          PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE OR USING CURRENT FARES IN
          EFFECT ON THE DATE THE TICKET IS REISSUED -
          WHICHEVER IS LOWER.
          C. BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY WHEN THERE ARE NO
          CHANGES TO THE FIRST FARE COMPONENT BUT OTHER
          FARE COMPONENTS ARE CHANGED THE ITINERARY MUST BE
          RE-PRICED USING HISTORICAL FARES IN EFFECT ON THE
          PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE OR USING CURRENT FARES IN
          EFFECT ON THE DATE THE TICKET IS REISSUED-
          WHICHEVER IS LOWER.
          D. AFTER DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY THE ITINERARY MUST
          BE RE-PRICED USING HISTORICAL FARES IN EFFECT ON
          THE PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE.
And here's an example from a KLM fare rule:
Code:
AFTER DEPARTURE
      CHANGES PERMITTED.
         NOTE -
          /////
                    // AFTER OUTBOUND DEPARTURE //
                                ////
          NEW RESERVATION / REISSUANCE AND PAYMENT
          OF THE PENALTY MUST BE MADE AT THE SAME TIME
                     -------------------------------
            NEW FARE WILL BE RECALCULATED USING
          FARES IN EFFECT ON THE PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE
          AND UNDER FOLLOWING CONDITIONS
           - IF SAME BOOKING CLASS IS USED NEW FARE MAY BE
             LOWER OR EQUAL OR HIGHER THAN PREVIOUS AND
             A / MUST COMPLY WITH ALL PROVISIONS OF THE
                 ORIGINALLY TICKETED FARE
             B / OR MUST COMPLY WITH ALL PROVISIONS OF THE
                 NEW FARE BEING APPLIED
           - IF A DIFFERENT BOOKING CLASS IS USED NEW FARE
             MAY BE EQUAL OR HIGHER THAN PREVIOUS AND
             UNDER FOLLOWING CONDITIONS
             A / MUST COMPLY WITH ALL PROVISIONS OF THE NEW
                 FARE BEING APPLIED
                        -----------------------
Goldorak likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Very interesting. Thank you Irishguy28.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
This is fairly common rule across most airlines. It is often cheaper to change the return leg after the outbound has been flown.
The BA rule posted would also suggest that historical pricing can be used before departure if the outbound remains unchanged.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Interesting because this might / could have been at play here? I noticed now that I forgot to add that (important) detail but I flown the CDG-SIN leg and am now trying to change SIN-CDG.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 7:17 am

I would also like to point out that availability is based on the whole itinerary, not a single leg/bound.
On EF you can only search oneway availability, which often can be inaccurate for a round trip/multicity itinerary. I have opted to build my own availability search tool using Amadeus API to solve this issue.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 8:21 am

Programs: DL*DM/AA*G
In which case AF might also charge you a completely new YR and claim it's because it's non-refundable.

Yes, they seriously did that. $10 change in fare + $200 taxes&fees. With AF/KL and all their "glitches" I'd almost suggest using a good TA (e.g. propeller travel) to avoid having to deal with their CS.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cvision
In which case AF might also charge you a completely new YR and claim it's because it's non-refundable.
That's not how it works.

The YR was already collected and won't be collected a second time just because you make a change to your return. We are talking here about changing a ticket - not requesting a cancellation (where the YR may very well be kept as non-refundable)
Old Aug 15, 2023, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by brunos
This is fairly common rule across most airlines. It is often cheaper to change the return leg after the outbound has been flown.
The BA rule posted would also suggest that historical pricing can be used before departure if the outbound remains unchanged.
There's another standard set of conditions which invokes historical pricing if the first flight is untouched. The early pandemic BUD-Hawai'i fare had that version, which was quite useful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.