Wiki Posts
Search

[NEW?] Blocked Seat Option at OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2023, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
[NEW?] Blocked Seat Option at OLCI

I noticed on two of my recent flights that AF gave me the opportunity to purchase an additional seat. I don't think I saw this VAS reported here before, but please feel free to move or delete if needed.

This is how it's advertised during online checkin:
Block extra seats
Looking for more privacy, space, and comfort?
We expect some empty seats on your flight, and we would like to offer you the option to block the seat next to you or even the entire row. Due to operational reasons, we may have to assign these seats to other passengers. This can happen at any time and up until the moment the last passenger has boarded. In case the option cannot be granted, you will be automatically refunded.
Based on availability, you have the choice between:
Empty seat: enjoy more privacy by blocking an empty seat next to you. If your row has more than 2 seats, your blocked empty seat will also benefit the passenger on the other side of it.
My extra space: block all seats in your row and enjoy more privacy, space, and comfort.
You'll receive a confirmation email for the blocked seats. Please note however that we can not guarantee your blocked seats until after boarding is complete. Due to full flights or operational reasons, we may need to assign these seats to other passengers. If this happens, you'll receive an automatic refund.
See below pricing on MRS-CDG. It was also available on the next leg, CDG-CMN, at 49€ (which somehow seems better priced considering it can be a 3 hours flight).
I didn't go though with the purchase, but considering there were two PAX on the booking, not sure if we would each get an empty row did we decide to go through with the "Entire row" option.

Old Aug 8, 2023, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
It was discussed last year (?) when they introduced this new feature, but I can't find the thread.
Not sure it's widely deployed because, since they launched that, I never saw it proposed for any of my flights (but no issue as I will never pay for that : if I want to guarantee the middle seat blocked, I travel J ).
747jetter and SkyteamEP like this.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by offvoice
I
I didn't go though with the purchase, but considering there were two PAX on the booking, not sure if we would each get an empty row did we decide to go through with the "Entire row" option.
I guess it might be somewhat worth it for 2 pax to guarantee an empty middle seat? (and much much cheaper than even OLCI upgrade to J)
If you go for entire row probably you have to pay twice and move one pax to other row?
Old Aug 8, 2023, 9:52 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I would defintiely go for it if offered&flying in pair.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 9:59 am

Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I would love to have this in C cabin on Hop/Embraer flights
AnaTFN, San Gottardo and offvoice like this.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 11:10 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Yeah we discussed it I think in the 'platinum status' thread where at some point we noted plats got a middle seat empty but after a few weeks we noted that they tested it for the payment option. Once the paid option was out, we ended up with all kind of jokes that if I say paid 35 Euro for a blocked middle seat, I would ask the rowmate if she or he also had paid and if not, say he or she owed me half of my payment......and also that if AF/KL played it smart and had 2 people paying seated in the same row, they would earn 70 Euro for an empty seat....which is good revenue (since no taxes and so on to be paid by the airline, and one way).
offvoice likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.