Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France Lounge Access at CDG During Layover?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2023, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Air France Lounge Access at CDG During Layover?

Hi,

I'm flying from JFK to BIQ with a layover in CDG, on a business class fare. My flight from JFK -> CDG is in the business cabin, but the flight from CDG -> to BIQ is in economy as that's the only cabin available. Will I be able to use the business class lounge in CDG?

Thanks,
Jen
Old Aug 4, 2023, 11:32 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
But why is Y the only cabin available? CDG/BIQ do have C cabin.

In theory, no access but you may talk your way in depending on the fare paid and the reason why you don't have a C seat on CDG/BIQ.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 1:16 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Is the fare for the CDG-BLQ segment a business fare? If it is you will likely be able to access (though you may have to talk to the attendant to explain).
Old Aug 5, 2023, 3:48 am

I've relatives on a similar journey that got refused lounge access at CDG (MIA-CDG (J) then CDG-BOD (Y)).

Later they complained to the company and were told it was a mistake... But I keep thinking lounge access is only at departure airport but I could be wrong..?
Old Aug 5, 2023, 4:37 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by flyingbluealertscom
I've relatives on a similar journey that got refused lounge access at CDG (MIA-CDG (J) then CDG-BOD (Y)).

Later they complained to the company and were told it was a mistake... But I keep thinking lounge access is only at departure airport but I could be wrong..?
You are correct: only at departure airport.

What we are saying about the op's case, is that it sounds strange that he flies C JFK/CDG but could not buy C for the CDG/BIQ. It makes no sense. So, depending on the reason and the fare paid, he may talk his way into the lounge. In some cases, the fare is C but the cabin is Y (for whatever reasons).
Old Aug 5, 2023, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by pucknyc
. Will I be able to use the business class lounge in CDG?

Thanks,
Jen
Hi Jen,

Lounge access is granted only prior to departure in business class. As you will departing from CDG in Economy Class, you will not have access to the lounge ahead of this additional flight (unless you or a travelling companion has the relevant SkyTeam status that would allow lounge access).

It's surprising to read that "It's the only cabin available"; the J cabin on AF short-haul expands or contracts according to demand, so it would be very unusual that a J seat could not be provided (unless this was bought very close to departure). Could it be that you (or whoever purchased the ticket) bought this as a multi-city booking and requested that the short connection was in Y?
Old Aug 5, 2023, 7:46 am

Hi,

I'm flying from JFK to BIQ with a layover in CDG, on a business class fare. My flight from JFK -> CDG is in the business cabin, but the flight from CDG -> to BIQ is in economy as that's the only cabin available. Will I be able to use the business class lounge in CDG?

Thanks,
Jen
The other thing which comes to my mind is your cabin luggage allowance.

On CDG/BIQ, if in Y cabin indeed, you will be allowed one bag only, against 2 in C.

AF is not very strict on this, but in case of a full flight, you may be forced to put one bag in the hold.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the input. It looks like the CDG -> BIQ business seats were sold out for that particular flight which is why I was stuck in the economy cabin. However, the fare I paid is the Business Flex fare, which is fully refundable if cancelled. Based on the responses I've received, it sounds like I won't have access to the lounge, which kind of sucks. I was hoping to rest a bit during my layover after an overnight flight.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 2:35 am

Thanks all for the input. It looks like the CDG -> BIQ business seats were sold out for that particular flight which is why I was stuck in the economy cabin. However, the fare I paid is the Business Flex fare, which is fully refundable if cancelled. Based on the responses I've received, it sounds like I won't have access to the lounge, which kind of sucks. I was hoping to rest a bit during my layover after an overnight flight.
This is VERY strange, as the C cabin is expandable (just by moving the curtain).

If indeed the fare is Biz Flex, you should revisit this booking and check again.

In any case, contrary to what you have understood, this is a case where you have a chance of talking your way into the lounge.

You need to explain to them that you are in fact with a biz ticket (they might actually be able to move you into the right cabin if your fare allows it) but have been assigned a Y seat.

I am not saying it WILL work but there is a chance it does.
atflyer likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
As everyone said, that is surprising if a single revenue ticket.
My only explanation is that you bought a Z fare and occasionally, there is no Z availability on CDG-BIQ.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
As everyone said, that is surprising if a single revenue ticket.
My only explanation is that you bought a Z fare and occasionally, there is no Z availability on CDG-BIQ.
Would Z fare be considered as "Business Flex fare"?
Old Aug 7, 2023, 2:22 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Letters don't matter, any letter can be flex
Old Aug 7, 2023, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Letters don't matter, any letter can be flex
So Z does not work like "loisirs" fare any more, meaning there used to be conditions attached to this fare which made it definitely not Flex...
Old Aug 7, 2023, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
To OP: you have no risk to try and ask the lounge dragon. I hope for you it will work. Please report here.
carnarvon likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, Flying Blue Gold, MH Enrich Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Actually, also ask at the airport if a seat opened up in Business. They might be able to rebook you if you have paid a Business fare all the way.
Even now, can’t you be waitlisted for Business while you retain your confirmed economy flight?
carnarvon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.