Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie AF refund question return leg

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2023, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Newbie AF refund question return leg

I see roundtrip prices cheaper than one way. Can I fly the first leg, and cancel the return leg and get some sort of refund for the not flown return leg?
Old Jul 27, 2023, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by churns
I see roundtrip prices cheaper than one way. Can I fly the first leg, and cancel the return leg and get some sort of refund for the not flown return leg?
No.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 2:22 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Taxes, at best.

But, you can just abandon and not fly the return leg.
churns likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 4:12 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Taxes, at best.

But, you can just abandon and not fly the return leg.
In Europe, yes, if you do not do it consistently. But several airlines in the US are getting angry at such things, a variant of skiplagging. I think not taking a return is less prone to sanctions, since you can always argue that plans changed, etc.

https://www.insider.com/skiplagging-...anceled-2023-7
churns likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 6:48 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by atflyer
There is something missing in this story. I don't get it.

According to this article, the airline became suspicious when they saw that the teenager was holding a driving licence from North Carolina!!!

Since when is it suspicious to fly to another state than the one where your driving license was issued?

The other thing is he went to the counter to get his boarding pass. He did not OLCI? Why?

Why didn't he OLCI, board the plane and leave at Charlotte?
Old Jul 28, 2023, 7:11 am
Suspended

here is another part of the story that isn't told on the link above:

https://www.fox4news.com/news/americ...ar-travel-hack

Parsons confirmed his son was skiplagging and said the family has used Skip Lagged, a website that specifically lists hidden-city ticketing trips, for at least five to eight years to save money.

I don't think AA acted out of the blue. If the family has been skiplagging for years (except the son), I guess that the whole family was flagged and that their suspicion about the son was correct.
etiene and Goldorak like this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by churns
If you voluntarily skip the return leg, you are likely to get nothing back. Possibly taxes for the return leg.
However, you might wish to compare the conditions on both tickets. The one way fare is likely to be more flexible in terms of change/refund. If you have to cancel the whole trip or change the date unexpectedly, you might find that paying a little extra is worth it.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by carnarvon
There is something missing in this story. I don't get it.

According to this article, the airline became suspicious when they saw that the teenager was holding a driving licence from North Carolina!!!

Since when is it suspicious to fly to another state than the one where your driving license was issued?
It's not.

But flying from Florida to New York with a stop in the state where your driving licence is issued probably does indeed indicate an intention to abandon the trip there...which the teen readily admitted, because his family/father has regularly booked travel in that very manner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.