Search

Mixed class bookings

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2022, 3:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum
Mixed class bookings

Greetings Flyertalkers

It used to be possible to book mixed class segments on the AF website, for instance economy outbound, business return. That functionality doesnt appear to be there any longer - when changing the travel class for the return journey the website indicates no availability.

Any advice on how to book mixed classes online - or is a telephone call the only solution?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 17, 2022, 5:29 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I have bought a mixed class flight a few weeks ago that I'm flying later this week.

I checked and I can easily buy this ticket again. Even if I select all-Econ search, it displays "Discover our Business Class fares" on the selection screen with the fare type options.
Old May 17, 2022, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Victor88

Any advice on how to book mixed classes online - or is a telephone call the only solution?
You can switch between Economy/Business (for example) on each screen; so book the outbound flight(s) in one class, and then switch to a different class on the next screen showing the inbound flight(s).

Originally Posted by Victor88
when changing the travel class for the return journey the website indicates no availability.
In that case, it most likely means that there is no business class availability. I used the "functionality" just last week - if there are flights available in the higher class (and for me only 2 out of the 8 flights that had economy seats were offered) then they will be offered to you.
Attached Images  
Old May 17, 2022, 5:44 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Some class fares forbid to select another class fare on the return ticket.
I've already seen this selecting Economy Light or Premium Light for some bookings.
Maybe that's your issue?
newflyer27 likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum
Originally Posted by jkler
I've already seen this selecting Economy Light or Premium Light for some bookings.
Maybe that's your issue?
I think this may be the issue - thanks.
Old May 17, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: FB Platinum, All Accor Platinum
Yes if you select light or standard fare in Y you won't get J fare for the return. If you select J on the first leg, they will only give you Flex Y or W on the return leg.
Old May 18, 2022, 1:54 am

Programs: Delta GM; FB Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC; National EE
And as always: if the airline site prohibits you from doing what you want, just price out your itinerary on ITA matrix and call the airline to make the reservation when you're satisfied.
Old May 18, 2022, 4:16 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by jkler
Maybe that's your issue?
Originally Posted by newflyer27
Yes if you select light or standard fare in Y you won't get J fare for the return. If you select J on the first leg, they will only give you Flex Y or W on the return leg.
I've done Eco Light + Biz Flex no problem.

Originally Posted by roelb
And as always: if the airline site prohibits you from doing what you want, just price out your itinerary on ITA matrix and call the airline to make the reservation when you're satisfied.
Unfortunately ITA does not allow to price different subclasses. For AFKL it always gives Light, for LH always Classic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.