Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help navigating AF EU261 claim

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2022, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by NickB
Well, try your luck if you want to argue that but I doubt that AF will agree, which would mean that you would have to litigate it and, imo, the outcome of such litigation cannot be taken for granted.
Then, they shouldn't have told people to pay for their own hotels and promised a refund...or do you think that they'll offer the refund just not the EU 261?
Old Jun 4, 2022, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Then, they shouldn't have told people to pay for their own hotels and promised a refund...or do you think that they'll offer the refund just not the EU 261?
The system in Europe might be different from what you are used to in the US. Refund of hotel accommodation ("right to care" under Article 9 of the Reg) and compensation (article 7 of the Reg) are not necessarily linked: right to care is due regardless of whether there are extraordinary circumstances whereas this is not the case for Article 7 compensation. The fact that they are willing to refund accommodation expenses does not mean that they are willing to pay compensation. By all means, try your luck if you want but keep your hopes in check..
Old Jun 4, 2022, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
As NickB points out, these are two different issues.Right of care (article 9) is pretty automatic for cancelled flights whatever the reason. as long as you did not book a luxury hotel, you should be refunded. Compensation (article 7) is dependant on the circumstances. If it is weather related, your hope should be tempered.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by brunos
As NickB points out, these are two different issues.Right of care (article 9) is pretty automatic for cancelled flights whatever the reason. as long as you did not book a luxury hotel, you should be refunded. Compensation (article 7) is dependant on the circumstances. If it is weather related, your hope should be tempered.
Thanks everyone. It was crew timing out while waiting out a storm, but crew should have some leeway in their schedule for a irregular operations. Crew having a one-hour buffer since they have been flying all day is an operational issue, but of course, Im sure the airline will simply say weather. For what it's worth, I took a screenshot of the reason for delay, and it says "flight canceled. Crew."
Old Jul 22, 2023, 11:44 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Bonjour,

I'm using an existing thread to ask this questions, @MoDs; please excuse me if this is not the correct thread and kindly move.

My niece was flying AF YUL-CDG-NCE yesterday. Her connecting (CDG-NCE) flight was cancelled around 21:30 Paris time (a full 10 hours before departure so certainly not because of weather or ATC - EF does not seem to give reasons for AF cancellations).

She was put on a CDG-NCE flight 5+ hours later. There were 4 other flights flown between her original flight and the one she was rebooked on. She tried to fly standby on an earlier flight but was told she could not.

In this case, would EU-261 compensation de based on the distance of the connecting flight (CDG-NCE) or the overall itinerary YUL-CDG-NCE)?

Merci en avance.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 1:17 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
All the relevant values (time limits, compensation etc.) will be based on the full itinerary e.g. YUL-NCE.
She would be put on the earliest available flight, presumably all space on earlier flights was either already full or given to pax higher in the chain.
atflyer likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
All the relevant values (time limits, compensation etc.) will be based on the full itinerary e.g. YUL-NCE.
She would be put on the earliest available flight, presumably all space on earlier flights was either already full or given to pax higher in the chain.
Yes, Thanks you.

EF showed all flights at J0 & Y0.

Regards
Old Jul 28, 2023, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by PLeblond
Bonjour,

I'm using an existing thread to ask this questions, @MoDs; please excuse me if this is not the correct thread and kindly move.

My niece was flying AF YUL-CDG-NCE yesterday. Her connecting (CDG-NCE) flight was cancelled around 21:30 Paris time (a full 10 hours before departure so certainly not because of weather or ATC - EF does not seem to give reasons for AF cancellations).

She was put on a CDG-NCE flight 5+ hours later. There were 4 other flights flown between her original flight and the one she was rebooked on. She tried to fly standby on an earlier flight but was told she could not.

In this case, would EU-261 compensation de based on the distance of the connecting flight (CDG-NCE) or the overall itinerary YUL-CDG-NCE)?

Merci en avance.
Quick follow up on this. In the case of a cancelled flight creating the delay, does one claim for a delay or a cancellation?

Merci encore.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 2:03 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by PLeblond
Quick follow up on this. In the case of a cancelled flight creating the delay, does one claim for a delay or a cancellation?

Merci encore.
Cancelled flight creating a delay? I don't understand.

Your flight was cancelled, you were reaccommodated, you arrived later than planned, yes? That's a cancellation compensation as described.
atflyer, PLeblond and DiamondMile like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.