Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of Business Class on AF domestic flights from/to ORY

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2021, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

End of Business Class on AF domestic flights from/to ORY

Cost cutting mesures put in place on domestic flights reduced the service to zero in Y and J, making no difference any more between the 2 classes except the empty middle seat.
As a consequence, J class will not exist any more starting from March 28th.

Flights from/to CDG will still be sold with a J class
Old Jan 15, 2021, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The disappearance of J service from ORY-based flights (and other short-distance intra-European fights) was already discussed in the on board service changes thread (see, in particular, this post) but the wider issue of the future of business class on ORY-based and possibly (other domestic and) European flights probably deserves its own separate thread.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 4:15 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Well, for any reason I dont see ORY domestic flights only Y as bad...I actually think it is smart move by AF.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 6:11 am

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum Ultimate, VA Velocity Platinum, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by 747jetter
Well, for any reason I dont see ORY domestic flights only Y as bad...I actually think it is smart move by AF.
Agreed. All ORY LH destinations are now served from CDG so there is very little benefit to having J on ORY domestic. And it also puts an end to the inconsistancies of corsica flights, some hop flights and partner airlines (amelia etc) not having J.

I do wonder if Europe flights such as the one to MAD will have J once/if they return.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 7:00 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
I wouldn't even miss the J domestic class to CDG if it were to disappear.
Given the low level of J service, bringing back the front row to Y price tag would be a welcome move for price-sensitive FF (many companies having policies against booking domestic J tickets).
Old Jan 16, 2021, 8:23 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by maalloc
I wouldn't even miss the J domestic class to CDG if it were to disappear.
Given the low level of J service, bringing back the front row to Y price tag would be a welcome move for price-sensitive FF (many companies having policies against booking domestic J tickets).
I think that would be no go because of many international transfers with J, flyers would be loud
Old Jan 16, 2021, 8:38 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
I think that would be no go because of many international transfers with J, flyers would be loud
Not so sure about that. I did a few intl J with feeder regional flight to CDG last year, and was less than impressed by the new J offer.
At best we got a bag of cookies. At worst, during what seems to be the new normal, 2 glasses of water instead of 1 in Y.

The main perk of sitting in J was having the privilege of hearing and smelling the crew having lunch. Honestly I would have felt less cheated if my boarding pass didn't read BUSINESS in uppercase.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 5:21 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Transfer passengers are a big factor. I suspect they are one of the main reasons BA introduced J on U.K. domestic flights (2 or 3 years ago?).
Old Jan 17, 2021, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krispy84
Transfer passengers are a big factor. I suspect they are one of the main reasons BA introduced J on U.K. domestic flights (2 or 3 years ago?).
AF never really introduced a full-blown J on domestic flights in the same way as BA, though: AF version was a discount version of J with no meaningful catering to speak of.

Be that as it may, I do not think that we can assume that the short and medium-haul product will return back to what it was before covid19 once the storm is over. Many airlines lived for a long time with a Y-only product on domestics, notwithstanding transfer pax, and some also replaced their former short/medium haul J product by a Y+ one. It is far too early to guess what post-covid19 passenger air transport will look like but I don't think that a move towards a reduction of J on short/medium haul across the industry can be completely ruled out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.