Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVID Restrictions to entry in France

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goldorak
This is indeed a big mistake. There is no change for EU arrivals in France for fully vaccinated people. Test is not required. Were you connecting to somewhere outside France ?
Yep. It looks like we are in Reg 261/2004 denied boarding territory, with €125 owed by AF to the OP.
IstKong likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 2:00 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Lufthansa FQTV, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Goldorak
This is indeed a big mistake. There is no change for EU arrivals in France for fully vaccinated people. Test is not required. Were you connecting to somewhere outside France ?
No I was not connecting. Thanks for confirming that it was a mistake. I should have protested more but I was taken aback by the gate attendant lecturing me that France had declared Germany a red country just today and that I should have heard the announcements that were made at the gate before I arrived (I was in the lounge). I will try and complain but I have no proof of the denied boarding.

I was not the only affected passenger though, I saw a lot of people scrambling to get a test to fly to Paris.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 7:35 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Anyone traveled from Canada these past days and had a transit in CDG? I'm a bit confused what exactly applies for my flight back (YVR - CDG - AMS)
traveldoc is a but unclear as it states:
Passengers aged 12 years and older must hold a negative result of a biological examination of virological screening (RT-PCR, PCR, qRT-PCR, qPCR, RT-LAMP, LAMP, TMA, antigen or detection of RNA only) or a biological test enabling the detection of the N protein of SARS-COV-2 where the test is carried out less 48 hours prior to boarding.
But under the same test requirement is states "Other exempt passengers:" - transit passengers.

Tried to understand the rules from "Ministère de
l'intérieur" but English page hasn't been updated, and in French it seems all passengers need a PCR or antigen test done within 48hours before departure.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by bubufr
No I was not connecting. Thanks for confirming that it was a mistake. I should have protested more but I was taken aback by the gate attendant lecturing me that France had declared Germany a red country just today and that I should have heard the announcements that were made at the gate before I arrived (I was in the lounge). I will try and complain but I have no proof of the denied boarding.

I was not the only affected passenger though, I saw a lot of people scrambling to get a test to fly to Paris.
The rule of a 24h test for UNVACCINATED pax from Germany had been in place for weeks. Vaccinated pax do not need it. The agent must have been confused with another rule.
You should have argued more forcefully, I doubt that it is worth the trouble pursuing a claim.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:09 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Ultimate
I have read that some people can test positive during weeks or even months after getting infected. Do you know if there are some specific exemptions that would allow a French citizen to come back to France in such case?
Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
I doubt that it is worth the trouble pursuing a claim.
I disagree. IMO, this is a crystal clear breach of Reg 261/2004.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:27 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
Originally Posted by brunos
The rule of a 24h test for UNVACCINATED pax from Germany had been in place for weeks. Vaccinated pax do not need it. The agent must have been confused with another rule.
You should have argued more forcefully, I doubt that it is worth the trouble pursuing a claim.
Airline agents quite commonly fail to understand the rules - not totally surprising giving how often they change and how complex the instructions can be, but still highly annoying.

Back in October I had an agent in AMS, in the section specifically for UK document checks, not know that rules had changed and tests were no longer required.

This morning in BRS travelling to ORY, the boarding agent said that vaccinated passengers need a test 24hr before, unvaccinated 48hr before. (It is of course the opposite). In both cases the agents were convinced they were in error without too much drama.

I agree an EC261 claim is appropriate when the airline is clearly at fault.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 5:49 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
flew JFK-AMS-CDG this morning. no documents check in JFK (AMS requires one/two different forms now), no controls of any kind at AMS transits, just the passport, and no control at all in CDG.

both things correct, as you can transfer in AMS without a covid test and you can enter freely France when coming from EU/Schengen, but makes me wonder how many people have bypassed the test like I did.

incidentally, as an additional safety measure in these uncertain times, I had a test in T4 JFK for the cheap price of 250$, that proved to be useless. lesson learned for me for the next time, but better safe than sorry for that one, seen how quickly rules change.
af fp likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by straniero
incidentally, as an additional safety measure in these uncertain times, I had a test in T4 JFK for the cheap price of 250$, that proved to be useless. lesson learned for me for the next time, but better safe than sorry for that one, seen how quickly rules change.
IMO, this is a grey zone under the French regulations as they do not clearly define what is considered as the relevant origin in case of connections. Were you to be denied boarding on such at itinerary at JFK on the ground that you do not have the relevant paperwork for France, you would have a hard time disputing it, I would have thought. In that situation, I would get a test pre-departure to be on the safe side.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 2:46 pm

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
Originally Posted by NickB
IMO, this is a grey zone under the French regulations as they do not clearly define what is considered as the relevant origin in case of connections. Were you to be denied boarding on such at itinerary at JFK on the ground that you do not have the relevant paperwork for France, you would have a hard time disputing it, I would have thought. In that situation, I would get a test pre-departure to be on the safe side.
agreed NickB and this is the exact reason why I've done it. Risking a return trip is not worth it. That said, spending 250$ for something that in France is completely free is still a shock
NickB likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:19 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Flying to Paris this week ...USA, Munich, Paris. Vaccinated. My understanding is that i need a PCR or lab antigen test 48 hours before departure and that should count if asked in Munich too. Is that correct?

Posters above mention 24 window for test...I'm reading 48 on French sites....
Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by straniero
That said, spending 250$ for something that in France is completely free is still a shock
Yes, that hurts. Even in the UK testing has become much more affordable. A pre-departure antigen test is readily available these days for a fraction of that cost and is comparable to the cost of tests in France for those who are not eligible for free testing.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by NickB
I disagree. IMO, this is a crystal clear breach of Reg 261/2004.
I agree with you 100%.
My point, and I should have been more explicit, is that it is going to be a lot of hassle for 125.
It would not hurt starting a claim, but I would guess a lot of back and forth given all the pax stranded for health document reasons.
NickB likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 8:05 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
JFK-CDG-PRG as czech citizen. If I didn’t push it she would not fly us as czech citizens with vaccination. Be aware everyone. Either it may cost you the test or your patience.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 1:56 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Flying to Paris this week ...USA, Munich, Paris. Vaccinated. My understanding is that i need a PCR or lab antigen test 48 hours before departure and that should count if asked in Munich too. Is that correct?

Posters above mention 24 window for test...I'm reading 48 on French sites....
48h if you are fully vaccinated.
24h if you are not vaccinated (and this specific point applies to intra-Schengen travel too).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.