Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business class on domestic flights [as of February 4th]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Why is only booking class J listed for KLM in the chart? Am I interpreting it correctly that if the domestic AF operated flight is a KLM codeshare (KL flight number), only (FULL) J business class fares entitle one to sit in front of the curtain with the middle seat blocked and get the little snack, etc.?
Old Jan 25, 2020, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why is only booking class J listed for KLM in the chart? Am I interpreting it correctly that if the domestic AF operated flight is a KLM codeshare (KL flight number), only (FULL) J business class fares entitle one to sit in front of the curtain with the middle seat blocked and get the little snack, etc.?
This is also how I interpret it.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 4:52 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Perhaps AF domestic flights with AF code can only be booked on KL code when it is connected to a KL long haul flight in which case regardless the fare basis, it books into J.
It seems that european KL fares from France don't allow a connection in Paris as per the routing rules, except CFF (MPM based) in which case the KL domestic flight operated by AF books into C.
Long haul KL business fares from France allow a connection in Paris and KL coded domestic flights book into J.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
I've seen another announcement about domestic business class, and indeed I can now go into my reservation and choose a seat on the CDG-LYS leg in late February. The seat map is 2x2.

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
according to Air-Journal.fr reservations for domestic J class open on February 4th.
Originally Posted by stimpy
That may be so, but my existing business class reservation now allows me to choose my seat in the business class cabin. And the cabin layout displays fine on airfrance.fr

Indeed, one can already book business on say ORY-NCE-ORY after 4 February., 467EUR.

Originally Posted by jouy31
My apologies, there have been some problems merging threads. Please send me a PM if you need further corrections . Thanks
Air journal probably meant for flights from 4th February.

Last edited by JOUY31; Jan 26, 2020 at 5:36 am
Old Jan 26, 2020, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
A positive satellite consequence of the introduction of J for domestic flights is that you can now select a seat at the time of booking in domestic Y for FB Elites, when the flight is operated by an Airbus plane. But when you are on a RJ, whatever it is domestic or medium-haul, it is still not possible for Y. I really don't understand why.
San Gottardo and AlvinMaker like this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:11 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
All good news... if it weren’t for the NEO seats on the domestic Airbus fleet...
Old Jan 28, 2020, 3:03 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Exclusions are :
- Emb 145 & ATR flights
- all flights to/from Corsica (because of the JV with XK with doesn't propose J and in order to have a consistent offer)
The JV with XK is only for ORY originating flights though, so i imagine they don't want to propose it on transversal flights or CDG-Corsica flights if they can't propose it in ORY.

However, if they really wanted to have a consistent offer they could start by reintroducing SkyPriority benefits on a consistent basis for Corsica flights... They call SP boarding in BIA and AJA but not in ORY, and SP security is not available for XK flights departing from ORY. The only consistent benefit is SP check-in... At least the new XK A320Neos are nice to fly on!
af fp likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 4:56 am

Looking forward to reading the first domestic experiences in J starting from Tuesday.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: FB Ultimate, Accor Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond,Avis President, Hertz President Club
Originally Posted by Bullspread
Looking forward to reading the first domestic experiences in J starting from Tuesday.
Flying from ORY to MRS on the 14th of February. Let's see how it goes
Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:41 am

Programs: FB Platinum, AS MVP Gold, HH Gold, IHG Gold
You all seems pretty quiet since the introduction of this new product!

For those reading french, I tried my best to write a balanced article on this new product, highlighting what are the positives and what can be improved, the idea was to reply to the following questions:
  1. Availability of the offer
  2. Price difference
  3. Profil of targeted customers
  4. Ground experience
  5. On board service vs competitors
  6. Paradox with recent AF environmentalism measures
  7. A cabin designed for "Friends"
Link to the article: https://blog.flight-report.com/fr/ai...mais-pourquoi/

Please let me know if you agree or not?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm wondering what happens to customers who have existing business class award tickets connecting to these AF operated domestic services. Will they be rebooked into O class and seated in business class (that they're already paid for) or not? It's further complicated by the fact that DL uses O class for both business class award tickets (paid with varying amounts of DL redeemable miles) and DL instrument supported upgrades (that aren't upgraded beyond CDG according to current DL rules for AF operated flights within Europe). [There can be problems receiving credit for these upgraded flights as well as for such paid O class fares given that partners sometimes offer paid deep discount fares as O class and sometimes use O for award and upgrade space.]
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:50 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by Leadership

For those reading french, I tried my best to write a balanced article on this new product, highlighting what are the positives and what can be improved, the idea was to reply to the following questions:
  2. Price difference
  4. Ground experience

I haven't yet tried the domestic business product but I would definitely agree, AF could have tried harder with the on-board food offering to put it in line with what competitors do, at least a more substantial food portion. I know they do this already on medium-haul (even short flights like FRA-CDG), logistically and cost-wise it shouldn't have been that much of a challenge to offer it domestically.

I see it more as an opportunity for some to top off XPs and perhaps enjoy the lounge. During certain periods, the surcharge over Y isn't that unreasonable when the Y fares get expensive (peak/holiday season). Perhaps I just have low expectations
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:18 am

Programs: Many

2. Price difference
  4. Ground experience

Thanks for sharing!
Good point for espresso or fresh orange juice for morning flights.
Non-rev I don't know before I witness it.
Carbon footprint excess is rather a 33% increase (actually less as the pax's weight is not there) since 1 seat out of 3 is not used and not 1 out of 2.
Agreed on the rest.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

2. Price difference
  4. Ground experience

Very good article. Fully agree for the offering. They need to revise this.
San Gottardo likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm wondering what happens to customers who have existing business class award tickets connecting to these AF operated domestic services. Will they be rebooked into O class and seated in business class (that they're already paid for) or not? It's further complicated by the fact that DL uses O class for both business class award tickets (paid with varying amounts of DL redeemable miles) and DL instrument supported upgrades (that aren't upgraded beyond CDG according to current DL rules for AF operated flights within Europe). [There can be problems receiving credit for these upgraded flights as well as for such paid O class fares given that partners sometimes offer paid deep discount fares as O class and sometimes use O for award and upgrade space.]

I had an existing ticket booked through AF that said (and it always did for every domestic sector ticket) "Business" even though it didn't exist. Last week I was able to select seats on a prior booked mileage ticket SFO-CDG-LYS, and it now says "J" class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.