Business class on domestic flights [as of February 4th]

Old Nov 5, 19, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Thumbs up Business class on domestic flights [as of February 4th]

I bought a future 2020 multi-leg business class ticket a few weeks ago with a CDG-LYS leg and it booked that leg in J business class. I wasn't sure what to think of it at first, but now it is clear that AF has brought back business class on domestic flights. I think it has been nearly 20 years since it went away, but I am happy to see it back. In an investors meeting today they announced it.
Old Nov 5, 19, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
I bought a future 2020 multi-leg business class ticket a few weeks ago with a CDG-LYS leg and it booked that leg in J business class. I wasn't sure what to think of it at first, but now it is clear that AF has brought back business class on domestic flights. I think it has been nearly 20 years since it went away, but I am happy to see it back. In an investors meeting today they announced it.
Is it brought back as a fare class, thereby permitting lounge access and better lines for those without elite status, or do you see a difference on the seat map or amenities such as meals?
Old Nov 5, 19, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Is it brought back as a fare class, thereby permitting lounge access and better lines for those without elite status, or do you see a difference on the seat map or amenities such as meals?
Yes they announced middle seat blocked and better F&B. I'll find out for myself in Q1/2020.
Old Nov 6, 19, 12:05 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Marriott silver, Hilton
When is your flight?

I tried to book CDG/LYS as far out as July and only Y is offered.
Old Nov 6, 19, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I think the system is not updated yet.

I wouldn't be so sure that it will be already in actual J in Q1 2020 (date taken from your other post above). Indeed, even today, it is possible to be booked in J fare on a domestic sector when this is in connection of a J long-haul. We had several threads on this.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Nov 6, 19, 3:59 am

Yes they announced middle seat blocked and better F&B
Old Nov 6, 19, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
I wouldn't be so sure that it will be already in actual J in Q1 2020 (date taken from your other post above). Indeed, even today, it is possible to be booked in J fare on a domestic sector when this is in connection of a J long-haul. We had several threads on this.
Yes this is part of a long haul trip. I am in no rush to worry about it and of course it is not a big deal for such a short flight and I get lounge access anyways with my status and inbound long haul business class flight. When I get closer to taking the trip I will check with AF.
Old Nov 7, 19, 6:00 am

Programs: MM silver, Flying blue Platinum, A3 gold
I was flying ZAG-CDG-LYS and back, booked in business class. I see that domestic segments are booked in business J. How many XP will I get for domestic legs?
Old Nov 7, 19, 6:21 am

Programs: FB Gold
Per the general XP chart, domestic business segments give 6XP.
Old Nov 7, 19, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by TLSpace View Post
Per the general XP chart, domestic business segments give 6XP.
I hope the same but I am not sure because domestic flight is "economy only".
Old Nov 7, 19, 7:32 am

Programs: FB Gold
I did a domestic segment on Air France (so economy only) last month, was on a business I-fare of China Eastern codeshare, that netted 6XP.
Old Nov 7, 19, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by TLSpace View Post
I did a domestic segment on Air France (so economy only) last month, was on a business I-fare of China Eastern codeshare, that netted 6XP.
Great. I will report when I am done with the flights...
Old Nov 8, 19, 9:13 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
I believe it's the booking class, not service class that matters. If you are on J ticket on domestic leg, should still give 6.
Old Nov 10, 19, 5:21 am

Update:
I got 2 XP per my domestic segments, although booking class was J.
I contacted Flying blue, sent them email and got this response: "The number of XP you gain is based on your flight type (Domestic , Medium , Long) and cabin. However on most Domestic flights their is no business cabin. So as mention above the XP's are awarded based on the cabin that you are traveling in, therefore in your case the domestic flights AF1704 , AF7703 , AF7644 where done in the Economy Cabin as those flights don't have a Business Cabin."
Any advice? Or should I just give up those 12 XP?
Old Nov 10, 19, 5:36 am

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
They're a bunch of thieves as you did pay for J...but I don't think there is much you can do. The example above where somebody did get the full credit may have been because it was not an AF/KL flight number.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: