Wiki Posts
Search

Duty Free with long connection in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Gold, Delta Gold, Bonvoy Plat
Duty Free with long connection in Paris

I will be flying DXB-CDG-LAX and will have a long layover in Paris (12 hours) and will go to the city . I will buy some duty free alcohol in DXB. Can I go out the airport in Paris and in again with the same sealed see through duty free bag (which has the invoice visible inside the bag) with those bottles ? Or is the 100 ml rule applying in this case ?
I understand it may be easier to buy at CDG, but I have a free duty free bottle waiting for me in DXB
Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I think you will run into trouble here. A sealed duty-free bag should be OK going through airside/transfer security, but it's not expected to show up in the carry-on of passengers "originating" from the airport in question.

Is there any chance you can add it with checked luggage in CDG before heading onwards?

Otherwise, is there any chance you can collect your "free" duty free on another ticket where it is not likely to get confiscated? Or have you checked whether they allow collection on arrival back in DXB? [Though given it's DXB that's probably not at all offered! ]

https://www.dubaidutyfree.com/FAQS

Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:18 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I don't believe there's a distinction at some checkpoints at CDG. For example, passengers connecting from 2E to 2E- K will clear security at the same checkpoint as a passenger originating in Paris and departing from 2E-K. I believe it's the same for L or M but might be wrong as I've never done it in L or M.

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I think you will run into trouble here. A sealed duty-free bag should be OK going through airside/transfer security, but it's not expected to show up in the carry-on of passengers "originating" from the airport in question.

Is there any chance you can add it with checked luggage in CDG before heading onwards?

Otherwise, is there any chance you can collect your "free" duty free on another ticket where it is not likely to get confiscated? Or have you checked whether they allow collection on arrival back in DXB? [Though given it's DXB that's probably not at all offered! ]

https://www.dubaidutyfree.com/FAQS

irishguy28 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
II researched the issue a while back regarding my own transit at GVA and, in principle, within the EU/EEA/CH, as long as you remain within the 24 hours of initial purchase and the item is sealed in a proper IATA-compliant STEB, you should be OK.* What the actual practice at CDG is, however, I have not a clue (GVA was OK, btw, and from what I have read online on FT and elsewhere, it was OK at LHR too).

In theory, however, since your origin is outside the EU, you should remain within duty-free allowances otherwise you might have duty to pay when going landside through customs at CDG. Whether they would be bothered with that in practice if you only have a couple of bottles remains to be seen.

*: one caveat is that I have not checked the issue with respect to a final destination in the USA. This needs double-checking, as security rules can be stricter on some points when the final destination is the USA.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips, I 'll try to leave it in the airport in Dubai and collect at the return flight.
If not, is it possible to check in an additional item in CDG if it is within the baggage allowance?
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Gringuito
If not, is it possible to check in an additional item in CDG if it is within the baggage allowance?
Yes, of course.

Just make sure you get to the airport in time to check in a second bag and get through security (and to enjoy the lounge!).
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Also, allow lots and lots of time for passport control at CDG for USA flights. If you don't have an EU passport that can go through the automated gates, SkyPriority can take an hour for this step as an originating passenger (which will be your line if you exit the airport to go into Paris).
Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the great tips, very helpful !
I’ve heard that the lounges are quite nice , and although I could use PARAFE, Madame can’t. Hence we’ll allow plenty of time for a non stressful start of vacation
Old Dec 10, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Took me 1 hour and 15 minutes to clear security at the K gates last week through the SkyPriority line, so yes, get there early.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SDQBound
Took me 1 hour and 15 minutes to clear security at the K gates last week through the SkyPriority line, so yes, get there early.
Just security? Wow! IME the delays are for exit passport control and there's rarely anyone in front of me for SkyPriority security before 2E departures.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Wow, that kind of queue to exit Schengen ? It's the one time I'm happy I always have to go thru 2G (as I'm Frankfurt/Main based). I joke that I'm perpetually on the navette between 2F and 2G, but at least 2G has its own passport control if I'm connecting to 2E......
Old Dec 12, 2019, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Just security? Wow! IME the delays are for exit passport control and there's rarely anyone in front of me for SkyPriority security before 2E departures.
Yes, there was no one at passport control. Security line was all the way to the automated people mover, both for regular and SkyPriority. Lots of ineligible people were queuing in the SkyP line and as we approached the security checkpoint, BPs were verified so it got a little bit faster. Still, it has been the worst security checkpoint queue at CDG (including any other terminal) in the last 9 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.