Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Abusing Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2019, 5:43 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
"Looters" must surely be a tiny minority of lounge guests? I think it's reasonable for a guest to take away a hot beverage (in KLM's lounge they provide takeaway coffee cups), but loading supplies of food into tupperware or a backpack crosses the line; that's stealing. And shoplifting happens in every retail business.

Common sense has to apply. For the lounge management, that means training staff to look out for potential looting so it can be immediately nipped in the bud. For the guests, not taking any plated food from the lounge, only a takeaway coffee to have en route to the boarding gate.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Concerto
The summer is a major pain. The lounges are heaving, people are on phones, children are running about, people are milling around like gannets near the food counter and always getting in the way...that is how it was in Madrid Alcalá yesterday. It is survivable (the children were honestly pretty well behaved, for kids), but it is really wearying and a bit stress inducing...like negotiating the hordes of people on the metro. Premium it is NOT. I think it is a summer problem, mostly...hopefully.
As if "business" people don't talk on their phones, and "mill about", too!

If anything, it's the business bores bellowing into their phones that make the lounges unpleasant imo .
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: FB Gold
The worst lounge experience I've ever had was at Newcastle departing on KLM. They use a general lounge that passengers on leisure flights pay to use, so the game is to drink at least as much as the value of your entrance fee, if not more. It was packed. I entered and made three circuits before I found a seat to sit on. All around tables were piled up with empty cans. There was no self-service alcohol, you had to go and queue at a bar to get a drink. Thoroughly unpleasant experience.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:06 am

I find people to be generally less and less civilized, whether it is in an airline lounge or in any other place that requires some kind of etiquette or behavior (have you been to a movie theater lately?).

As far as lounges go, I agree that it can be tiring to have kids running around and people being generally clueless about their environment. However, I find that the worst behaviors usually come from the business, suit & tie crowd who is FAR more guilty of loud phone calls/meetings on speaker etc - and don't you dare complaining about it because you know, they are extremely important business people on extremely important business meetings.

I once sat next to a guy - who was wearing a pretty expensive suit, by the way, since some people seem to correlate that with good behavior - who put his phone on speaker while he was ON HOLD with EDF (the French electricity company)! After about 10 minutes another guy in the lounge lost it and went to yell at him, thank god (I wish I was a more confrontational person sometimes).
I do agree that lounge personnel should be better trained to deal with those situations.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Klems
However, I find that the worst behaviors usually come from the business, suit & tie crowd who is FAR more guilty of loud phone calls/meetings on speaker etc - and don't you dare complaining about it because you know, they are extremely important business people on extremely important business meetings.
A guy that worked in the open-plan office where I had my first job after graduation (and no - it wasn't me!) would listen to his voicemails on speaker phone every morning upon arriving at his desk. He was an admin so there were always lots of messages by the time he arrived, always late.

Some wag left a very salacious message on his answering machine one evening (and no - it wasn't me!) and he never again listened to voicemails on speakerphone again after that.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Indeed, very annoying to have "business" folks shout into their phones, or using loudspeakers, etc. Not the majority, but still - soooo annoying. And they don't only do it when they are seated in their armchair, they do it when walking into the lounge. Most lounges offer some secluded work corner (interesting fact: AF lounges at CDG do not), which are designed for that kind of activity.

However, what I usually find that the business type do not do is loot the buffet in the lounges and stuff their hand luggage with it, the original title of this thread. It doesn't make them better humans, it's just another type of bad behaviour.
irishguy28 and Fabo.sk like this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Indeed, very annoying to have "business" folks shout into their phones, or using loudspeakers, etc. Not the majority, but still - soooo annoying. And they don't only do it when they are seated in their armchair, they do it when walking into the lounge. Most lounges offer some secluded work corner (interesting fact: AF lounges at CDG do not), which are designed for that kind of activity.
I've often seen in the Schengen Crown Lounge in Amsterdam that a "business" guy will leave his own group when making/receiving a call - to save them the noise of his conversation, or to get away from their noise - while he instead paces over to a quiet corner of the lounge, and annoy a completely different set of people there instead.

These guys are also never in a rush to end the call.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Indeed, very annoying to have "business" folks shout into their phones.
It's not only that they shout into their phones, but what they shout.

In one of the AMS Crown Lounges I once listened to a guy offer somebody a job, and then hire him. Next he called his HR department and went through the entire employment contract with them, point by point, including all the perks. The new hire could pick any car he wanted, as long the list price did not exceed € 94,000.-- etc. etc.

That's just one example, I can think of plenty more.

Johan
irishguy28 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by irishguy28
As if "business" people don't talk on their phones, and "mill about", too!

If anything, it's the business bores bellowing into their phones that make the lounges unpleasant imo .
I actually haven’t had too many bad experiences with this sort of thing on my trips round central and south Europe this summer. Only 2 examples, both on the same day: in the Malta Valetta Club lounge there was a bloke, Australian I think, having a family call on Skype (I think) with the iPad (or whatever) on loudspeaker. Didn’t really bother anybody, lounge wasn’t busy, so it was ok, sort of. Later the same day, in the Alitalia lounge at the D gates at Rome FCO, there was an American woman having a clearly audible call on her laptop, I think it was a group lesson or something. That really irritated me and I made lots of strange mad howling noises in the hope it would drive her away, but it didn’t work, of course. These people are thick skinned. Otherwise, no issues of note.
Solevita likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Posting live from K lounge : 2 girls aged about 7-8, behaving well in general (not crying, not talking loudly, etc), but walking barefoot in the lounge, of course putting their feet on the armchair after, and one of the 2 just went to the toilets...barefoot...I am now waiting for her putting her feet on the armchair
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by franck75002
Travelling today to OTP.
First time in the new Air France L Lounge at CDG 2E.

Welcome staff has nothing to do, beyond pointing clients to BP readers. Maybe the reason that they did not see a guy, just behind them, literally and meticulously filling 3 carry-on luggage with everything he could get from the catering section.

Trays aft trays, dozens of cokes, water bottles, cheese, bread, blinis, etc.

When leaving, I couldn't help mentioning to the “dragon”.
i had never seen anything like that.
any other experience?

edit: the guy was travelling to OTP as well sitting behind me and the curtain. What an embarrassment.
And this my turn to report the same : yesterday at 2G lounge, a guy next to me was making several “trips” to the buffet and slowly filled his suitcase with cans, bags of crackers and crisp. When I noticed his “game”, I asked to him (in French) if he was satisfied of his free shopping today and if he was not ashamed ? I don’t know if he was speaking French, but he was of course embarrassed (blushing) and he didn’t say a word, finished his packing and left. I was far from the entrance so didn’t advise the staff on the spot, but I did leaving the lounge and the agent told me they see regularly people coming with cork stoppers to close and steal the bottles of wine.
Unbelievable...
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:51 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Originally Posted by Goldorak
people coming with cork stoppers to close and steal the bottles of wine.
Can’t believe people would shamelessly do that... I am speechless....
Old Aug 31, 2019, 1:51 am

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by Goldorak
the agent told me they see regularly people coming with cork stoppers to close and steal the bottles of wine.
Did they mention about stopping them or do they just happily observe the goings on?
Old Aug 31, 2019, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
Can’t believe people would shamelessly do that...
Given that human nature is what it is, I'll believe anything, and then some.

Johan
Old Aug 31, 2019, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Solevita
Did they mention about stopping them or do they just happily observe the goings on?
I didn’t ask but if they see it, I am assuming they stop them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.