Abusing Lounge

Old Aug 23, 19, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum - Royal Orchid Gold - Accor A-Club Platinum
Abusing Lounge

Travelling today to OTP.
First time in the new Air France L Lounge at CDG 2E.

Welcome staff has nothing to do, beyond pointing clients to BP readers. Maybe the reason that they did not see a guy, just behind them, literally and meticulously filling 3 carry-on luggage with everything he could get from the catering section.

Trays aft trays, dozens of cokes, water bottles, cheese, bread, blinis, etc.

When leaving, I couldn't help mentioning to the “dragon”.
i had never seen anything like that.
any other experience?

edit: the guy was travelling to OTP as well sitting behind me and the curtain. What an embarrassment.
irishguy28 likes this.

Last edited by franck75002; Aug 23, 19 at 9:53 am Reason: News
Old Aug 23, 19, 6:54 am

Programs: FB Platinum / Privium+ / Hilton Gold
I was traveling back sunday morning BHX-AMS last may, since my hotel was accross the terminal I was pretty early in the contract lounge which accomodates Skyteam as well.
so entering around boarding T-120, very nice lounge, not so big but the food is okay and nice tarmac view on some flybe turboprops. Anyways... lounge start getting busy with (I assume) PP members, making a lot of noise then the couple across me in the couch start filling 1.5L empty coke bottles with postmix coke they were gathering from normal 0.25L glasses. this women literaly walks to the postmix tap and fills like 5 glasses and carries them in her arms like a pocket to put all the coke in those 1.5L bottles. They filled up like 5-6 bottles.

So I couldn't resists to make a comment and let them know it's pretty sad to do something like this.
they replied in with an American accent that I should: STFU and it was their RIGHT to get complementary drinks in the lounge entering on PP.

However I will admit that I'm sometimes guilty having layovers in CDG 2F-2G when I fly in Y+ to take a small 0.15L apple juice/orange juice bottle into the plane as not having the patience for drink service on my short flight to Amsterdam...
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 19, 7:09 am

Programs: FB Platinum, TK Gold, PC Platinum
Taking 1 or 2 small bottles of water is ok, as long as you ask before. However, what was mentioned in the comments above is unacceptable.
Old Aug 23, 19, 11:33 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I will pretty much always fill up my water bottle before a long flight (3+ hours), but nothing more than that (especially if in a foreign country when I may be relying on bottled water). But Cokes/food, etc., is poor form, unless it's specifically marked as a 'to-go' snack.
Old Aug 23, 19, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by franck75002 View Post
When leaving, I couldn't help mentioning to the “dragon”.
So you mentioned this to the lounge attendants and they did nothing ?

I have never witness this myself. Such extreme bad behaviors are of course exceptional, but we can guess this guy is doing this in every lounge he is visiting so he should be flagged by airlines.
In general, I witness more and more bad behaviors in lounges. People dressed like homeless, walking barefoot in the lounge and putting their feet on other seats, making loud video calls without headsets, watching movies/videos on phones/tablets without headsets, etc etc. It is time to have more lounge attendants (not housekeeping staff) in the heart of the lounge to police it and bring back some etiquette rules and minimum acceptable dress code.
Old Aug 23, 19, 1:39 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
... and this is true for *all* lounges, including Salon P
Old Aug 23, 19, 1:41 pm

I've only witnessed looting twice in hundreds of lounge visits. I'm not talking grabbing a water or soda on the way out, I mean looting - filling a backpack with stuff (do people bring an extra bag for this purpose?) ​​​​​​But since we're calling out nationalities, implying a cultural flaw, my anecdotal contribution is that in both cases the looters were Brits. And the lounges didn't accept PP either.
Old Aug 23, 19, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post
... and this is true for *all* lounges, including Salon P
Absolutely. I have already seen in the P lounge some guys dressed like beggars in the metro
San Gottardo likes this.
Old Aug 23, 19, 2:46 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
Absolutely. I have already seen in the P lounge some guys dressed like beggars in the metro
Yep. And at least in summer it's more jogging suits than Brioni suits :-)
Old Aug 23, 19, 3:31 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
The summer is a major pain. The lounges are heaving, people are on phones, children are running about, people are milling around like gannets near the food counter and always getting in the way...that is how it was in Madrid Alcalá yesterday. It is survivable (the children were honestly pretty well behaved, for kids), but it is really wearying and a bit stress inducing...like negotiating the hordes of people on the metro. Premium it is NOT. I think it is a summer problem, mostly...hopefully.
Old Aug 23, 19, 4:59 pm

Sometimes I’ll grab a drink from the bar and take it to the plane in a to-go cup.
Old Aug 23, 19, 8:15 pm

Programs: QR, AC, EVA, UL and PAL
I have seen some people stuff beer cans into back packs in BKK and the lounge attendant told them to put it back as it is only to drink in the lounge and they apologised and put them back.
Old Aug 24, 19, 1:15 am

Programs: FB LTPE+C2000, EK Gold, TK *S, SPG PP+Amb+LTPP, IHG Platinum, Accorhotels Gold
Unfortunately I have seen that everywhere, in all airlines I have travelled to.
Last time in a Lufthansa lounge, a guy behind me packed 20 schnitzels in a Tupperware, and packed a full bottle of sparkling water.
I could not refrain from saying something, as well as my neighbor, and I saw some people reporting it to the LH staff. I left the lounge soon after, but I doubt they did anything.
Old Aug 24, 19, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
The summer is a major pain. The lounges are heaving, people are on phones, children are running about, people are milling around like gannets near the food counter and always getting in the way...that is how it was in Madrid Alcalá yesterday. It is survivable (the children were honestly pretty well behaved, for kids), but it is really wearying and a bit stress inducing...like negotiating the hordes of people on the metro. Premium it is NOT. I think it is a summer problem, mostly...hopefully.
I could not agree more. I even started a thread on this 2 years ago !
Traveling during the summer is really a pain, even for pax with status...
San Gottardo and Carel1 like this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 2:57 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Yes, I remember this thread very well. For business travelers with various pressures, traveling in summer can be really horrible. I understand that summer is busy and loads of kids are going on holiday. My issue is with the lounges, which are supposed to be areas of peace and tranquility where you can rest or work. There comes a time and a point where you don't want to have to put up with children laughing and running around and the constant trummel of people milling around, the latter of which I find particularly tiring. Roll on the Autumn...or Fall!!
Carel1 likes this.

Search this Thread