Community
Wiki Posts
Search

meal select without seafood

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold, Accor Gold, IHG One Rewards Platinum, SNCF Grand Voyager le club, Hertz 5* Gold,
meal select without seafood

Hi All,
Is there any way to select a meal/menu with meat, but without any seafood or fish?
Mrs Fr is highly allergic to anything from the sea yet almost all meals include it somewhere - either as a starter or a garnish.
That includes not just on the plate, but anywhere in the meal (on the tray) due to cross-contamination.
Spoken with the Ticket Office in CDG and we've current got a Vegetarian meal selected as the only choice guaranteed not to have any fish anywhere.

We're in J to/from JFK in September and she's hoping we can find a way to get something a little less bland than she's had before.
Quite happy to mix and match on the day with whatever is available, so long as it has not been on a tray with something fishy.

Any suggestions where to ask?

Cheers,

Mal
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:27 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
My partner has exactly the same issue and often pre-orders vegetarian just to be sure. The quality varies enormously. Neither AF or KL have a non-seafood option. Once on board you can explain that seafood is the issue and often get to look at (and choose) one of the regular options if it looks ok. There are always more than sufficient meals loaded.

KLM does (in Business) now always have a vegetarian soup option as a starter, and of course there are choices for main (which you can with reasonable certainty check out in advance).
Old Jul 4, 2019, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold, Accor Gold, IHG One Rewards Platinum, SNCF Grand Voyager le club, Hertz 5* Gold,
Thanks for the suggestion.
We informed CC last time on boarding having not specified a different meal (as advised from CS in advance) and come the time to serve they'd forgotten.
Very apologetically they tried re-plating the non-fishy bit to a clean plate, seemingly not understanding the bit about cross contamination.

I notice that AF now have the "in the air" app, which says
YOUR MEAL SERVED ON A TRAY

Whet your appetite by exploring the menu and snacks that will be served on board, from 10 days before your flight.
I wonder if this may be the way - view the menus 10 days in advance and then choose accordingly?
Has anyone used it yet - does it go into more detail that just the main course?

Mal
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by MalFr
I notice that AF now have the "in the air" app, which says

I wonder if this may be the way - view the menus 10 days in advance and then choose accordingly?
Has anyone used it yet - does it go into more detail that just the main course?

Mal
See here:
New AF app: In the Air
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

It was your post that made me consider it.
Did it helpfully/accurately show you the full menu, or just the plat principal?

Mal
Old Jul 4, 2019, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
It was your post that made me consider it.
Did it helpfully/accurately show you the full menu, or just the plat principal?

Mal
As you can see on the screenshots in the linked thread, you have the full menu description. It was exactly that what was served on-board.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:04 am

Programs: FB Plat
I remember 5 years ago that AF had an extremely long list of alternative meals in Y that could be pre-ordered for free, with 5 to 10 different shades of "vegetarian".

My AF flight BKK->CDG had no default choice of vegetarian hot meal on board, unlike DL and KL on the transatlantic routes I experienced this summer, so anybody actually vegetarian should have had ordered a meal.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
I really wish they would have this option as well. Shrimp/shellfish allergies are definitely not uncommon- I've always been puzzled by the fact that airlines don't offer this option. Plus the fact that they tend to be part of, or the appetizer... which I can't eat. Grrr.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Zarmakuizz
I remember 5 years ago that AF had an extremely long list of alternative meals in Y that could be pre-ordered for free, with 5 to 10 different shades of "vegetarian".

My AF flight BKK->CDG had no default choice of vegetarian hot meal on board, unlike DL and KL on the transatlantic routes I experienced this summer, so anybody actually vegetarian should have had ordered a meal.
Yes but for example, I am not a vegetarian. I am just allergic to shellfish/ shrimp, etc.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Kosher doesn't allow shellfish iirc, so you could try going Kosher (can't vouch for the taste, sorry). They do allow regular fish though.

Never tried an AF vegetarian meal either, so can't comment whether they are bland. I do know that SWISS heavily advertise their vegetarian/vegan options as made by a famous restaurant in Zürich, so you may want to check out the competition next time..
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:03 pm

Thanks!
yeah I haven’t tried AF vegetarian either but I agree I love the Hiltl food on Swiss! Great restaurant in Zurich!!
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

May i ask anyone who has tried the AF "in the air" app to try it again now?
I've tried plugging in my flight details for next week and then other flight details over the next few days and in every case i get the message "Something went wrong, please try again. [E001]".
I even tried having the AF app in the background too, but no difference.
Is the service down or my operation error?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

I've tried plugging in my flight details for next week and then other flight details over the next few days and in every case i get the message "Something went wrong, please try again. [E001]".
it’s working well for me.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 5:38 pm

I just now tried it (for the first time) and got the same error.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Maybe they like you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.