New AF app: In the Air

Old Jun 14, 19, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
New AF app: In the Air

I just received an email from AF inviting me to download a new AF smartphone app called « In the air », to discover in advance the IFE program and the menu for my next long-haul flight in a couple of days.
Here are some screenshots from the app. You enter your flight number, date and class of travel. You have the menu of the main & secondary meals and all movies, TV shows, music and games proposed.
Important missing information (IMO) is whether there will be WiFi on-board and the drinks offering. But maybe they will add that later. The email was saying also that, in-flight, you will have a moving map of your flight (providing of course there’s WiFi). They were also saying that they will send a feedback questionnaire after the flight.
Good initiative, but personally I would have preferred that it would have been integrated in the main AF app (all in one).

Email received:

Screenshots from the app:
there are a few weird things in term of content and presentation for the menus like :
- for the main meal: starting by the bread and butter
- for the light meal: starting by « sucre » (= sugar)

Last edited by Goldorak; Jun 14, 19 at 4:44 pm
Old Jun 15, 19, 4:13 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Gold, QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Thanks Goldorak. I agree: good initiative but odd that they’re creating all these different apps - we have the main one, the Play one and now Into the Air. Probably different departments at AF each with their own stand alone initiative ;-)
Old Jun 15, 19, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I am guessing that this one will be later integrated into the main one, once improvements will be done on its content.
Old Jun 15, 19, 6:18 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC, Accor Gold, IHG Gold
This 1% battery level right from the start is stressing me.
Old Jun 15, 19, 6:28 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Similar to the features in the EK App (main app). They also let you pick movies, shows and songs on the app and create your playlist then sync it to your IFE in-flight
Old Jun 15, 19, 6:05 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Braniff View Post
Thanks Goldorak. I agree: good initiative but odd that they’re creating all these different apps - we have the main one, the Play one and now Into the Air. Probably different departments at AF each with their own stand alone initiative ;-)
That was exactly what I thought as well. Reminds of the other Masters-of-Making-Simple-Things-Complicated: SNCF. One app to buy tickets, one app to get schedule information et al, one app for Pro customers... with quite a bit of overlap.

Why didn't AF integrate the new functionalities in the exisitng app? The existing app is actually very very good (can't think of a better airline app right now), that would have enriched it even more
Old Jun 19, 19, 5:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Iberia Silver
I love the concept but indeed another standalone app will confuse passengers, need to integrate within the existing app.
Old Jun 19, 19, 7:50 pm

Programs: FB, MM, QR
Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post
The existing app is actually very very good (can't think of a better airline app right now)
Fully agreed! QR's is moderately functional, but then you get the likes of MU and CZ that are just exercises in futility, AF app is probably the only one that I actively book flights on.
Braniff likes this.
Old Jul 1, 19, 4:54 am

Programs: UA:1K Marriott:Gold Hilton:Silver IHG:Gold
Originally Posted by HalconBCN View Post
I love the concept but indeed another standalone app will confuse passengers, need to integrate within the existing app.
It confused me. After booking my first AF flight,I went to the iOS app store, saw three apps and wasn't sure if any was actually legit. Did some searching to figure out which was the main app. Ignored the others with uncertainty. Thankfully, there is Flyertalk.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 1:05 pm

Programs: FB Gold
I am shortly flying AF to Shanghai (on the B772), my first longhaul business class flight, and in my search for more information I came across this thread. However I cannot find the Andriod equivalent of the Apple app. Does anybody know if the information given in the app is available anywhere else? For example, I am returning in WBC and KLM has flightguide.klm.com. Thanks for any leads!
Old Aug 28, 19, 1:25 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / Marriott Gold / Hilton Gold / IHG Platinum ... A former AA Platinum
Seeing this thread now, just want to respond to earlier posts from 50Kthehardway @HalconBCN @San-Gottardo and others ... re: Why is this a standalone app.
I'm going to wager (because I make a living making apps and content sites) that it's easier for AF due to the size / organization they have in their digital departments, to test out certain ideas in standalone apps -- the teams that build the functionality / experience, aren't beholden to either tech or roadmaps from whichever team owns the main app. At some point though, I should hope that the goal is indeed to work whatever they find most resonate with folks of this In the Air app, into the main app -- but the path to develop and iterate is probably much cheaper for them organizationally for happening outside of the main app (For example, you have to assume that whoever owns the main app has super high reliability goal. In the Air could be unusable because of bugs, and people would get over it... So best to work on In the Air feature in isolation, clean up the experience and code til its perfect, then integrate ...)
Fabo.sk likes this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 2:37 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Miles & More Senator, Marriott Ambassador Elite/Platinum for Life
I discovered today, quite by accident that if you look up flight status online you can see the services on the flight by class:

https://www.airfrance.fr/FR/en/local...liteDesVols.do

Entertainment is under another heading:

https://www.airfrance.fr/FR/en/commo...e/homepage.htm
Zeeb and Goldorak like this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by JakeMorgan View Post
I discovered today, quite by accident that if you look up flight status online you can see the services on the flight by class:

WOW ^
Old Aug 28, 19, 11:22 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by JakeMorgan View Post

That is the case since some time. Except that it isn't always reliable (for instance, WiFi information is often wrong).

Also, you can see the services - but not the entertainment program - in the "main" app when you click on your flight.

Old Aug 29, 19, 1:26 am

Programs: FB Gold
@JakeMorgan: That is exactly what I was looking for! Couldn't find it myself, Air France Facebook team told me it only existed as iOS app, Flyertalk knows everything! Thanks
fifty_two and Goldorak like this.

Last edited by TLSpace; Aug 29, 19 at 1:51 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: