Search

Releasing F inventory

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Releasing F inventory

Hello,
i am sorry if this is answered elsewhere but I cannot see it. I am scheduled to fly in abouyt a week from LAX-CDG-MXP. LAX-CDG is showing P2F0 as my wife and I are in F. I would prefer to go to LYS instead but the agents say I need to cancel my entire reservation. If I do this, is Air France pretty good about returning those two seats to F inventory or is there a risk the availability would go away?
​​
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
There is never any guarantee whatsoever that FB award seats given up will be made available again.
Squerez likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
There is never any guarantee whatsoever that FB award seats given up will be made available again.
All seats are available for redemption, so they will be available for awards, but surely at a skyrocketing price in miles.
@OP : do not cancel your booking or you have good chances to be screwed.
Squerez likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:04 am
Original Poster

When a FT evangelist speaks, you listen. I will keep my reservation as is. Thanks for the reply
Goldorak and caliform like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
You don't state that your ticket is an award.
But even if this is a paid ticket in F fare bucket, the week-ahead F fare to LYS is likely to be much higher than what you paid. But you can ask the agent for a quote.
If you are on the 77W AF69, there is a good chance that it will become P4F2, but no certainty and the F availability might be picked up very very quickly as there is almost none on flights next week.
Stick with your ticket.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Yes, sorry I was not clear. I am on a 200k award ticket and my fear was that if I canceled my tickets, F inventory would not become available again and I would have to fly up to SFO to catch a flight at 200k since I cannot pay 350k miles for an award - especially since as you mention Brunos next week there is no availability on AF69. Anyways, decided to keep the award and thank you again for the replies.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by uclabruin82
Hello,
i am sorry if this is answered elsewhere but I cannot see it. I am scheduled to fly in abouyt a week from LAX-CDG-MXP. LAX-CDG is showing P2F0 as my wife and I are in F. I would prefer to go to LYS instead but the agents say I need to cancel my entire reservation. If I do this, is Air France pretty good about returning those two seats to F inventory or is there a risk the availability would go away?
​​
If you have no luggage, what you can do is get off in CDG and take the TGV (or plane) to Lyon.

If you have luggage, being a ticket in First, they might bend the rules and allow you to short check luggage or retrieve in CDG at no cost. May be worth discussing with La Premičre people.... I am sure they are used to going the extra mile....
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by carnarvon
If you have no luggage, what you can do is get off in CDG and take the TGV (or plane) to Lyon.
And miss the P lounge in CDG ?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Goldorak
And miss the P lounge in CDG ?
Going to the lounge before taking the TGV then (if no luggage).

Regarding luggage, what do you think of them bending the rule because of First class ticket? Coud it go as far as checking the luggage to LYS if the OP bought a ticket CDG LYS.

Or retrieve the bag in CDG and retag it.

I know they can do that in CDG. I was due to fly CDG/LYS/NTE (nothing glamorous unlike the OP lol).

They retrieved and retagged my luggage CDG/NTE once my flight was changed to CDG/NTE. This was following an irrop though.

Last edited by carnarvon; Jun 28, 2019 at 1:16 am
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Another smart way to bend the rules might be to change your CDG-MXP ticket to only leave the next day, but less than 24 hours after arriving in CDG. That way it's perfectly unsurprising to anyone that you may want to retrieve your luggage at CDG. When you rebook, they won't touch your LAX-CDG, only the CDG-MXP, and you won't lose your LAX-CDG. Buy a separate ticket or take the train from CDG to Lyon, and bin the CDG-MXP leg.

Not sure how you can fit the Premiere lounge in there, but at CKI in LAX you may even try to argue your way into them checking your luggage all the way to LYS. Given that your CDG-MXP is only a day later, you can tell them that now you're flying to LYS, will take a train/separate ticket back to CDG the next morning and then take your booked flight to MXP. In that case, if they check your luggage all the way to LYS you can even use the P lounge on your LAX-LYS connection.
carnarvon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.