Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF CDG-MAD: Upgraded seat to C, can I now check in free bag?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alitalia MilleMiglia
AF CDG-MAD: Upgraded seat to C, can I now check in free bag?

I’m travelling from CDG to MAD on AF over the weekend. Checked in online this afternoon and have upgraded my Y seat to the business cabin for 79€. Electronic boarding pass now showing travel as C class with Sky Priority logo. Does this mean I can now check in a free bag and use business lounge at CDG? Doesn’t appear to be clear on the AF website. Thanks.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:15 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
You should be able to use the lounge. Your luggage allowance likely stays the same, your boarding pass/check in confirmation should show the number of pieces that you can check for free.

If your original fare included no checked luggage, I'm expecting that that will still be the case now though..
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:46 am

https://www.airfrance.fr/FR/en/commo...gage-allowance

The Customer who has purchased the Option receives the same baggage allowance available to his or her new travel class.
To my knowledge this has long been a difference between AF and KL: AF would give you the benefets of the new class with the exclusion of the FF credit, while KL insisted you're only buying the new seat and nothing else. However, I was under the impression that KLM changed its stance last year and will now give you the allowance. I can't speak from personal experience, though.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys, it’s not very clear is it! Okay well we will find out in the morning at CDG....
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:55 am

Why is it not clear? It's right there in AF's terms for upgrades that you will get the allowance.
Braniff and ijgordon like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:55 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
https://www.airfrance.fr/FR/en/commo...gage-allowance

To my knowledge this has long been a difference between AF and KL: AF would give you the benefets of the new class with the exclusion of the FF credit, while KL insisted you're only buying the new seat and nothing else. However, I was under the impression that KLM changed its stance last year and will now give you the allowance. I can't speak from personal experience, though.
Hmm, interesting. With KLM I'm pretty sure it always used to be the original allowance. Could it be that the above refers to a regular upgrade (i.e. where the ticket is re-issued)?

In any case, the OP's upgrade confirmation should show the correct allowance.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Hmm, interesting. With KLM I'm pretty sure it always used to be the original allowance. Could it be that the above refers to a regular upgrade (i.e. where the ticket is re-issued)?

In any case, the OP's upgrade confirmation should show the correct allowance.
No... the above concerns upgrades at check in. It literally states:
2.1 Purchasing the Option is possible online or by using the Self-Service Kiosks in metropolitan France and the United States (except Chicago).

- A Customer may purchase an Upgrade for certain long-haul flights provided by Air France by following these steps. First, the Customer receives an Upgrade offer by an e-mail from Air France. All passengers included in the booking file are eligible to benefit from the Upgrade offer. The Client can find and select the Option in his or her booking file (accessible via the “Review/modify your bookings” area) beginning 48 hours and up to 3 hours before the long-haul flight's departure. If the long-haul flight is preceded by a connecting flight, the deadline is calculated starting from the first flight's departure time. Once the Option has been purchased, the Customer receives an e-mail confirming the Upgrade purchase. If the Option is not available, the Customer is kept informed via a message that appears in the booking file.

- A Customer may purchase an Upgrade for certain long- and medium-haul flights provided by Air France, when checking in online starting from 30 hours before the flight's departure, and until the Check-in Deadline.
I have upgraded at the airport with Air France (albeit long haul) and can confirm that it comes with full benefits.

As I stated in my previous post this did not use to be the case with KL, who even had a dedicated page on their website explaining that you were only getting the upgraded seat and the meals, if they they were available. I can no longer find this page on the KL website. The best I can find is this: https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/customer_support/customer_support/legal_information/terms_conditions/upgrade_EC_to_BC.htm.
1.2 After you have purchased an upgrade to Business Class for part of your trip, you have the same advantages as any other Business Class passenger for that part of your trip. For Flying Blue members, the number of Miles earned and XP gained will remain the same as stated in your original ticket. If the upgrade is paid in cash, you will earn additional Miles based on the total amount in euros you spend on the upgrade.
This confirms what I wrote in my previous post, being that they have changed their policy to align with that of AF.

Last edited by CosmicGirl; Jun 14, 2019 at 1:12 pm
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I confirm that OP will have lounge access, all SP benefits and J class baggage allowance.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Yes it all went smoothly....a good deal I thought, apart from only earning 5XP....
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
So if I buy one of those upgrades from AF again, I would actually get the free baggage allowance? I did not know that. Having said that, being Platinum I get a free bag anyway. But it's useful to know for people who might be travelling with me.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Concerto
So if I buy one of those upgrades from AF again, I would actually get the free baggage allowance? I did not know that. Having said that, being Platinum I get a free bag anyway. But it's useful to know for people who might be travelling with me.
If they travel with you under one booking reference, they have bag free too.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by 747jetter
If they travel with you under one booking reference, they have bag free too.
No they don’t. With FB, Elite privileges are not extended to other travelers in the same PNR.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
That is indeed what I thought, so I got that one right! But I'm used to Lufthansa and Miles & More, where elites don't get any baggage allowance on Light fares.

But just to clarify, a second passenger traveling on the same PNR would still get the benefits of fast track at security and lounge access, right, not to mention priority boarding?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: FB platinum
Originally Posted by Concerto
But just to clarify, a second passenger traveling on the same PNR would still get the benefits of fast track at security and lounge access, right, not to mention priority boarding?
Officially, no (except lounge access because of the guest benefit). But practically, unless there is an automated check, you can usually have that person follow you for checkin/security/boarding.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Silver
My +1 did get Sky Priority on her boarding pass when travelling on the same PNR as me. Her FFP is not FB and she has no status, so it must come from my FB Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.