Wiki Posts
Search

AF premium economy Vs Delta Premium select

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:21 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Silent upgrades of PE amenities?

Hi,

Just flew PE from SIN-CDG after not flying for about 6 months with AF in PE and I noticed some changes - which I did not remember reading anywhere.
- saw that the pillows are now with a new bright blood-orange colour with patterns - although still rather thin like the old ones
- the blanket seems to be now the same as used in J-class (the blue/cream coloured ones)

As for food - still the same crappy food and presentation. On this flight (and most probably more), they are trying to finish up the Joon amenity kit stock - received one with the Joon label.

For me it was also my first time in an aircraft where the PE section was placed between 2 Y section. It was a rather strange situation - something like some of the BA747 config where you have a PE section between the J-area.

sidenote: No recognition from anyone on this flight as a 'lowly' Plat. and had a seatmate that had way too much parfum on - I actually got a headache from it...luckily it died down towards the end of the flight until he decided to drown himself again in it just before landing in the toilet....

Cheers!
fifty_two likes this.

Last edited by nldogbert; Jul 24, 2019 at 7:43 am Reason: correcting typo
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by nldogbert
and had a seatmate that had way too much partum on - I actually got a headache from it...
"partum" in English is found only in the phrase "post-partum", meaning after birth

But heavily-scented people of any gender - whether the odour is natural, or the aroma is artificial - is one of my pet peeves, too, especially when confined with that person in an enclosed space! I can empathise with your discomfort.

(Even worse than perfume/cologne is when someone opens a bottle of nail polish and proceeds to spend the next 25 minutes painting 10 (or 20!) nails!! Never had that on a plane, luckily, but frequently on trains, where at least you can move away!)
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
the blanket seems to be now the same as used in J-class (the blue/cream coloured ones)
This has been the case for many years IIRC.

On this flight (and most probably more), they are trying to finish up the Joon amenity kit stock - received one with the Joon label.
I heard the same for J

For me it was also my first time in an aircraft where the PE section was placed between 2 Y section. It was a rather strange situation - something like some of the BA747 config where you have a PE section between the J-area.
You obviously were in a B777 in a QuickChange mode. There is a dedicated thread on this:
"Quick Change" trials on retrofitted B772 and B77W in April 2015
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
but frequently on trains
On an early morning train the other week a lady boarded and promptly embarked on a very elaborate makeup routine, which took about half an hour or so. That done, she opened her roller bag, got out a can of deodorant and liberally sprayed both armpits. I guess she had decided that sleeping an extra hour was a much better idea than getting up early to shower and do some face painting.

Johan
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
This has been the case for many years IIRC.
This is interesting... I've not really flown AF to Asia for more than a year in PE - but on most of their routes to US in PE - the blankets were always the cream coloured ones. Therefore I was surprised when I saw on this flight that it was the blankets from J.

Cheers!
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:53 pm

Just had my first experience in AF PE (777 in quick change mode as noted above). Although the seat seems to universally disliked, I found it fairly comfortable. I thought it was slightly ahead of DL's domestic F seats in terms of comfort. I slouched it, but did not use the leg support or foot rest. Plenty of width and ample leg room. Bedding was good as well. I got the sleep that I needed.

I was also amazed at how clean the a/c was. Lavs were spotless the entire flight.

As far as meal service goes, that is the thing that should be universally disliked. Other than the appetizer and dessert, the food was awful. The prearrival meal was a joke. Fill up on food in the lounge beforehand if you going PE.

Best part was the frequent flyer earnings for DL skymiles members on AF marketed flights.

If its worth it or not all comes down to price relative to other products and how desperate I am for MQD in DL's FF program. I would pay more for AF PE than DL C+, but not as much as I would for DL PE.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:01 am
ZCY

I took the AF premium economy from Houston to Paris end of July and it was so much worse compared to Delta PS.
The 777 has a Business - Economy - Premium Economy - Economy configuration. We had the same food as economy class. And my seat is broken.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Side note:
I took SU 777 in premium last week and while the seat is the exact same than AF there were a few differences.
No headset like AF, just cheap earphones to (didn't use them) and the meal seems much better than in Y.

Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
WOW. It is indeed exactly the same seat !
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:59 am

For Delta PS, which seat is good seat for solo traveler and legroom?
Old Oct 29, 2019, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by flybie
For Delta PS, which seat is good seat for solo traveler and legroom?
There's not much really any specific choices for solo traveller. Legrooms are more or less the same - only difference is with bulkhead seat, you'll have no one backing into your face and the rest it is just like economy seats when the seat is reclined.

For me my preference is always bulkhead window (the 2 seats) and it not possible any bulkhead seats or aisle, if not it will mean hoping the person at the aisle seat will not be sleeping or eating when you want to get out.

Cheers!
Old Oct 30, 2019, 5:13 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Ultimate Platinum for Life/Club 2000, UA MileagePlus
Today, I learned to my dismay that, while competition (chief among which is Delta) ups the bar with its premium-economy class, Air France has zero intention whatsoever to improve it. In fact, here is what's cooking at Air France. The big plan right now is to reduce the service in Y, combining the aperitif with the meal, which would free one flight attendant to help in the J cabin. Two trade unions have already accepted the deal with the airline. The same stuff (for lack of a more appropriate word) from Y will keep being served in W, irrespective of the fact that the premium-economy fare can be easily thrice that of bare-bone coach. Icing on the cake, under the guise of being eco-responsible, the airline will switch to wooden cutlery. While at Delta, premium-economy PAXs are served their meals in porcelain crockery and metal cutlery, with a tablecloth, no less, at Air France, the questionably standard-bearer of gastronomy, W and Y PAXs alike get their military-canteen soup in plastic and wood utensils. Common sense would say that with an ill-designed fixed-shell seat like that of the Air France W cabin (which the top-management has praised with much gusto until the arrival of their first 350 equipped with a recliner), the airline would try its best to make it up to its PAXs with decent meals, but there is apparently no common sense at Air France. The invitation of Air France to switch to Delta on code-share routes could not be clearer.
nldogbert, SDQBound, tff and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:16 pm

If this is really what AF is planning for it's PY class, this is indeed a big slap in the face. Fare differences can indeed be up to 3x the price of Y-class, closer to O or Z business class ticket price. I really cannot understand why AF can get away with this. In addition to what you have mentioned about DL Premium Select services, they do have 2 dedicated FA's for PS which is quite premium and the hot towel service of high quality - does make DL PS service closer to Business service (outside of the hard product).

Thanks for sharing this information - this is why I am willing to these days add an additional stop just to get on carriers that offers much better Premium Economy products. (thus forgoing my accumulation of UXP points).

Cheers!
Old Oct 31, 2019, 3:43 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Sadly some of us who are forced to take the cheapest W or even Y on shorter flights will have to put up with this. Earlier this year I flew LH in Premium Economy and while their product focuses more on the seat and has no premium ground experience, I enjoyed it. The meal (which is the same as in Y but served in porcelain plates) was miles ahead from the canteen meal AF is currently serving on JFK-CDG / IAD-CDG. The service was much better than in AF, and the seat comfort was also excellent.

VS usually offers great fares in W but the last mile is usually on BA. I will be leaning towards connecting at LHR from T3 to T5 than flying AF W.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by SDQBound
VS usually offers great fares in W but the last mile is usually on BA. I will be leaning towards connecting at LHR from T3 to T5 than flying AF W.
Sadly the only PITA of this route is that in LHR, when flying on the codeshare VS flights, there is possibly no lounge access for ST E+ members (and unconfirmed access to the QF lounge as a FB Plat+; and unless you are DL SM Plat/Diamond member, than you have access to the Virgin lounge). I nearly did this route recently, but when DL Prem Select seat became available, I switched to fly via CDG.

Cheers!
rt23456p likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.