FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France Frequence Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus-376/)
-   -   AF premium economy Vs Delta Premium select (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus/1972174-af-premium-economy-vs-delta-premium-select.html)

Mirk Jun 1, 2019 5:59 am

AF premium economy Vs Delta Premium select

I had the chance to try Delta Premium select recently and since I've flown AF premium economy a few times, I thought I would share my impressions.

In short: replace AF premium economy by Delta premium select. It's almost AF J service with Delta domestic First class seat.

It's night and days between the two! You get 2 dedicated FA for the cabin, they take drinks and menu orders (no trolley service), there's a tablecloth, food comes on a platter, metal cutlery, porcelain dishes, the food tasted very good, the Tumi amenity kit looks very nice quality, the headphones were great.

If you have the chance, give it a try and if there's a choice between AF W and Delta W, go for Delta without hesitations.

Braniff Jun 1, 2019 8:28 am

Thanks. I havent flown Delta’s Premium Economy but it does not surprise me the least that you find it superior to Air France. The Air France Premium Economy product is a joke.

carnarvon Jun 1, 2019 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Braniff (Post 31160086)
Thanks. I havent flown Delta’s Premium Economy but it does not surprise me the least that you find it superior to Air France. The Air France Premium Economy product is a joke.

Hello.
Does anyone know where from in Europe Delta offers Premium Select? It looks like neither from Paris nor from Amsterdam.

carnarvon Jun 1, 2019 9:44 am

Originally Posted by carnarvon (Post 31160166)
Hello.
Does anyone know where from in Europe Delta offers Premium Select? It looks like neither from Paris nor from Amsterdam.

I found the answer to my question, so sharing with you.

Itinéraires en A350

De Détroit (DTW) à Tokyo-Narita (NRT), Séoul-Incheon (ICN), Pékin (PEK), Shanghai (PVG) et Amsterdam (AMS)
  • D’Atlanta (ATL) à Séoul-Incheon (ICN)
  • De Los Angeles (LAX) à Shanghai (PVG)
  • De Los Angeles (LAX) à Tokyo-Haneda (HND) à partir du 31 mars 2019
  • De Seattle (SEA) à Tokyo-Narita (NRT)
Itinéraires en 757-200 (75H)
  • De Minneapolis/St. De Paul (MSP) à Reykjavík-Keflavík (KEF)
  • De New York-Kennedy (JFK) à Reykjavík-Keflavík (KEF), Shannon, Irlande (SNN) et Ponta Delgada-Azores, Portugal (PDL)
Itinéraires avec des appareils 777-200ER/LR remis à neuf
  • De Minneapolis/St. De Paul (MSP) à Tokyo-Haneda (HND)
  • D’Atlanta (ATL) à Tokyo-Narita (NRT)
  • De Los Angeles (LAX) à Sydney (SYD) à partir du 01 avril 2019
  • D’Atlanta (ATL) à Paris-De Gaulle (CDG)
  • De Minneapolis/St. De Paul (MSP) à Paris-De Gaulle (CDG)
  • De Los Angeles (LAX) à Paris-De Gaulle (CDG) du 25 mai 2019 à octobre 2019
Itinéraires avec des appareils A330-900neo
  • De Seattle (SEA) à Shanghai (PVG), Séoul-Incheon (ICN) et Tokyo-Narita (NRT) du 01 juillet 2019 au 31 août 2019

Mirk Jun 2, 2019 5:39 am

Originally Posted by carnarvon (Post 31160166)
Hello.

It was on the route AMS-DTW for me. I hope they will expand the offering to Europe soon.

arkangel Jun 3, 2019 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Mirk (Post 31162269)
It was on the route AMS-DTW for me. I hope they will expand the offering to Europe soon.

Yes, PS service on the A350 has been offered DTW-AMS, and v/v, for a while. I flew it last Dec., from PVG-LAX on the A350, and thought it was just fine. The only real issue I had was getting out of my window seat to use the restroom and having to literally crawl over my seatmate. I was looking at it, as well as J, for atrip to BRU, via AMS, in early Dec., but the fare was ca. $100 more than the comparable non-A350 fare, so I passed.

MSPeconomist Jun 3, 2019 7:08 pm

The KEF flights aren't real PS as they use older 757 aircraft (without any D1 flat beds) where PS is sold as the top cabin now. IIRC some of these flights have breakfast as their only meal.

For DL PS flights, look for A350 and 777 aircraft routes (with suites). All A350s are brand new and equipped this way, while the 777 fleet is currently in the process of being reconfigured with a PS cabin. There's a big thread in the DL forum discussing particular tail numbers and the progress on this.

The DL PS dinner service seems to be a choice of the chicken or pasta main courses from the D1 menu (same food, but two rather than four choices, with fish and red meat selections missing). There's a menu and the wine is better than DL domestic FC but not as good as D1.

Unfortunately DL no longer is granting lounge access on the basis to a PS ticket, nor are PS passengers normally given domestic FC seats on connecting flights when a through PS fare is used, although there might be a few exceptions for full fare classes. Some PS fares aren't more than certain coach fares while you sometimes find a RT advanced purchase Z fare for D1 that isn't much more than PS would cost.

Andy82 Jun 9, 2019 5:17 am

Here’s my impression.
I expected the Delta PS seat to be significantly superior than AF PE seat on 777, but honestly I didn’t feel the difference that significant. Newer, it reclines, but I didn’t sleep better.

Foodwise, Delta PS is relatively superior, but I didn’t try the new service from AF. The second meal on a transatlantic route is exactly the same as D1 (maybe just another additional choice for D1?), even on the very same tray 😂

Wine-wise, DL PS is as bad as economy. AF is way superior 😅

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...54fdabfee.jpeg
Breakfast on DL PS DTW-AMS
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...053850c0b.jpeg
Breakfast on D1 JFK-MXP A330

Braniff Jun 9, 2019 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Andy82 (Post 31184782)

Wine-wise, DL PS is as bad as economy. AF is way superior ��

AF PE wine is the same as AF economy wine - but no doubt far superior to DL ;-)

Macaron54 Jun 9, 2019 7:16 am

Thank you, @Mirk, for starting this thread – something that I had in mind for a while. Without going into the excruciating detail of the AF and DL offers (at this point, we are simply beating a dead horse), let me simply show the following pictures, which, I believe, summarize the huge gap between the two products. Here is the second meal according to DL on a westbound flight,

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...294b47140a.jpg

and here is the second meal according to AF, also on a westbound flight,

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c205ca25c2.jpg

Beyond the presentation and the quality of service (a tablecloth, napkin with real tableware versus the Y takeaway bag thrown on my tray), I would like to draw everyone's attention to the contents, notably the well-balanced DL meal versus the carbs- and lipid-loaded AF snacks (both the savory cheese brioche and almond cake are about 450 calories per 3.5 oz/100 g). According to the World Health Organization, one gram of carb- and lipid-rich processed food is about five times cheaper than the same weight of fresh fruits and vegetables (which rationalizes why very low-income classes are more prone to cardiovascular diseases and obesity). Even the AF applesauce contains twice as many calories as a real apple (which could be served in the form of packaged slices). In addition, AF argues that a takeaway bag is more eco-responsible than disposable tableware. This is of course a captious argument, as the different snacks are served in non-biodegradable containers, whereas DL's second meal is served in reusable tableware. The truth is that while there is a marginal difference between the Y and the W first meal (a seemingly enhanced appetizer and dessert), there is none whatsoever for the second meal. It is, however, maddening that the airfare is exactly the same whether one flies DL premium select, or AF premium economy, yet is offered a completely distinct product.

Macaron54 Jun 9, 2019 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Braniff (Post 31184900)
AF PE wine is the same as AF economy wine - but no doubt far superior to DL ;-)

I will dispute this. The wine selection that I have been offered was very decent. First, in the DL premium select cabin, the wine is served from the bottle by the pursers, as opposed to small, individual bottles in the AF Y and W cabins. Second, the choice of a French Viognier (white wine) or Spanish Rioja (red wine) on the DL flight was arguably better than the cheap AF Rhone blend red or white wine, which you can find here for as low as $6 a full bottle (I have never seen a Rioja that cheap).

Mirk Jun 9, 2019 5:15 pm

To bring something to the discussion, here are the 2 meals that were served in PS on the AMS-DTW flight.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b070719831.jpg
Breakfast/first service on the AMS-DTW in PS
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...7ecf98e996.jpg
Second service, before landing on the AMS-DTW in PS

Andy82 Jun 10, 2019 2:24 pm

I admit I didn't fly AF premium economy recently especially on the transatlantic route - and I must have completely removed that horrible second service.
Well, I really hope Delta will put more routes to Europe with the new product.

ijgordon Jun 12, 2019 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Mirk (Post 31186602)
To bring something to the discussion, here are the 2 meals that were served in PS on the AMS-DTW flight.
<snip>
Second service, before landing on the AMS-DTW in PS

That Cuban sandwich looks almost exactly the same as what I had as the second service the other day in business class on BCN-JFK.
Except we had iceberg lettuce (vs. your romaine), and it's possible my salad bowl was bigger (more rectangular), but that may just be the angle of the picture and the orientation of the bowl).

nldogbert Jun 12, 2019 11:49 pm

These days I've stopped flying AF PE when possible - as it is so inferior in both service and quality (even though I am not paying for it, but on company expense - I still feel ridiculous to waste my company's money on such an inferior product). I doubt even with their improved seats (no change in soft service - i assume) on the 787's (not tried it before) that it can beat DL's nor any other airline PE service (heck even Alitalia's PE service is much more superior than AF - even taking into consideration the FA's - and on the EU legs you are booked into J-cabin).
I've written so many times to complain about it, but obviously it's landing on deaf ears. Just wondering how long Ben Smith's vision of improving the Premium Cabin services on AF will kick in - than I will go back to AF.

Cheers!