AF A380 upper deck disembarkation - LAX

Old May 28, 19, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Platinum, TK *G
AF A380 upper deck disembarkation - LAX

Has anyone any experience of disembarking from the small economy section at the back of the upper deck on the A380 at LAX? Does the entire upper deck disembark before the Y hordes from the lower deck?!
Old May 28, 19, 6:15 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
The upper and lower decks use different jetbridges. A significant portion of the lower deck will have disembarked before the rear upper deck economy class gets off
DCJoe1 likes this.
Old May 28, 19, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
The upper and lower decks use different jetbridges. A significant portion of the lower deck will have disembarked before the rear upper deck economy class gets off
Interesting- do you know the procedure at IAD? Is it the same with different jetbridges for the upper and lower decks? I guess to a certain extent it doesn't matter, as everyone gets shunted to the moon buggies to be driven over to the International Arrivals Building.
Old May 28, 19, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by DCJoe1 View Post
Interesting- do you know the procedure at IAD? Is it the same with different jetbridges for the upper and lower decks? I guess to a certain extent it doesn't matter, as everyone gets shunted to the moon buggies to be driven over to the International Arrivals Building.
same as described for LAX. Have in mind that immigration has become truly horrible for the last months at IAD. No more kiosks and the entire huge room is already full when you disembark from the AF flight. My last 2 visits in IAD : 2 hrs and 1h15 to go through
DCJoe1 and SDQBound like this.
Old May 28, 19, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post

same as described for LAX. Have in mind that immigration has become truly horrible for the last months at IAD. No more kiosks and the entire huge room is already full when you disembark from the AF flight. My last 2 visits in IAD : 2 hrs and 1h15 to go through
Ugh, that is awful and I would avoid Dulles like the plague if I had a substantive choice in international flights- but if you want overseas nonstops to the DC area it's pretty much your only option other than I think one BA flight (and a seasonal Condor flight to FRA). As US citizens with Global Entry I think we will thankfully be able to avoid most of that. The afternoon arrival rush at Dulles is no joke, especially for citizens of other countries.

Last edited by DCJoe1; May 28, 19 at 3:08 pm Reason: Added info
Old May 29, 19, 7:49 am
formerly B7e7US
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott Gold, Thalys Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz PC, Other shiny cards
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post

Originally Posted by DCJoe1 View Post
Ugh, that is awful and I would avoid Dulles like the plague if I had a substantive choice in international flights- but if you want overseas nonstops to the DC area it's pretty much your only option other than I think one BA flight (and a seasonal Condor flight to FRA). As US citizens with Global Entry I think we will thankfully be able to avoid most of that. The afternoon arrival rush at Dulles is no joke, especially for citizens of other countries.
A big madness indeed. I was told that the new Kiosks were going to be installed relatively soon. The problem is that the old ones were not in the best place and often the lines would go all the way to where they were placed.

I wouldn't mind using the other immigration area and going through security again, and then taking the train back to baggage claim, but they only run the moon buggies when there's a Star Alliance flight arrival and only allow connecting passengers to get in.

Search this Thread