Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What will be JOON's first [last] routes?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The provinces of Dragonair were totally different and had to do with the needs at the time for an airline with a different shareholding structure in order to operate far more routes from HKG to the mainland, and had little to do with operating costs.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
I was looking forward to my first and only Joon flight but it got cancelled one month away.
The choice between arriving 1 day later and still fly Joon or arrive 10 hours later with KLM was an easy one...
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Originally Posted by hfly
The provinces of Dragonair were totally different and had to do with the needs at the time for an airline with a different shareholding structure in order to operate far more routes from HKG to the mainland, and had little to do with operating costs.
Indeed, KA is a bit of special case in its history, which is probably the reason it survived and survives. CX tried to kill them initially, and then eventually just took them over for the mainland access as they evolved.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathay_Dragon

Joon...in the end just another in a long series of ‘LCC started within an airline’ failures.

I guess we could bring AC Rouge into the discussion as a potential ‘success’ as well...and that is mainly to compete against AirTransat on tourist long haul routes.

Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:10 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by CoMooter

Indeed, KA is a bit of special case in its history, which is probably the reason it survived and survives. CX tried to kill them initially, and then eventually just took them over for the mainland access as they evolved.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathay_Dragon

Joon...in the end just another in a long series of ‘LCC started within an airline’ failures.

I guess we could bring AC Rouge into the discussion as a potential ‘success’ as well...and that is mainly to compete against AirTransat on tourist long haul routes.
Which in a way shows what an idiotic setup JOON was from the start. ROUGE was set up by Ben Smith, so he knows about the potential benefits of a different in-house brand and how to make it successful - but still chose to close down JOON when he saw it.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Which in a way shows what an idiotic setup JOON was from the start. ROUGE was set up by Ben Smith, so he knows about the potential benefits of a different in-house brand and how to make it successful - but still chose to close down JOON when he saw it.
It was truly idiotic and only designed to allow to recruit more "productive" employees (but not pilots). AFKL already had a "LCC within the airline" (Transavia), so positioning JOON became an intellectual contorsion. And let's not forget HOP!, Apparently A5 code will soon fade into oblivion and more integration into AF is expected.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by brunos
It was truly idiotic and only designed to allow to recruit more "productive" employees (but not pilots). AFKL already had a "LCC within the airline" (Transavia), so positioning JOON became an intellectual contorsion. And let's not forget HOP!, Apparently A5 code will soon fade into oblivion and more integration into AF is expected.
I think the idea is sound (within reason) - many airlines around the world wen't through a somewhat similar process. Austrian for example was for some time "operated by Austrian Arrows/Tyrolean" except for a solitary 777. But they did without a separate brand.
I guess that there were two mistakes here.
1. Underestimating force of labor unions in France in general and AF in particular, and therefore overestimating the benefit. End result being weirdnesses like Joon cabin crew, but AF mainline cockpit crew.
2. Coinciding this attempt at labor change with a launch of new brand to dilute AF service offering. This doesn't seem to have been very well accepted on the market.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
End result being weirdnesses like Joon cabin crew, but AF mainline cockpit crew.
It goes even further. Pilots and crew are going to different layover hotels except for 1 or 2 destinations. I'm sure you've guessed the reason...
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Information about transition Joon to AF mainline

Dear all
here are some information about the transition from Joon to AF mainline following to the announcement of Joon end. As you know from previous announcements, Joon FA will go to AF progressively. The Joon aircrafts will be repainted to AF, with very likely the exception of the A343. So there will be a transition period where we could see a mix of AF/JN planes and AF/JN FA. But the good news is that it will be all AF catering from 31 MAR
The transition period will start on 31 MAR until date of the full merger of Joon in AF, date that is still unknown. In details from 31 MAR:

Medium-haul
- OSL and OPO will continue to be operated by Joon
- BGO, IST, NAP will be operated by AF mainline
- BCN, TXL, BUD, MAD, LIS, PRG, FCO, ARN will be operated by a mix of AF mainline and Joon

Long-haul
- CAI, CPT, FOR, BOM will continue to be operated by Joon
- SEZ and SXM will be operated by Joon then later by AF (switch date unknown)
- UIO (new route) : starting date confirmed for 14 MAY will be operated by Joon then later by AF (switch date unknown)

AF product (food & beverages) will be served on all Joon flights from 31 MAR. It means that the current Joon BoB offer will stop by then.

I hope those information will be useful for you
PeteM01 and browan04 like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
In a way it's a shame it never got a chance to develop a little bit as an airline and separate brand. On the other hand, it's really good that they have reinstated Air France catering and service, especially in economy, but it is really good on short haul at the moment. I never tried them and probably never will, because I won't be flying any of their routes anytime soon.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Never tried Joon before but I am glad I am Flying BCN-CDG on 26/3 before the brand disappears! I'll let you guys know if it is still Joon or if they have already reverted it to AF Mainline when I fly
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:20 am

I have a trip in May (ARN-CDG-BCN and return) where I was booked on Joon. Over the past couple of days my flights have been changed to AF, with the return schedule being slightly altered (+/- 30 min or so). Wondering if I will be getting AF or Joon metal.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, EuroBonus
I had two ARN-CDG/CDG-ARN flights in April that said "provided by Joon" that now say "provided by AF".

So I checked and three out of the four daily flights we'll be getting after March will be operated by AF. Currently we have three daily flights so we are gaining one flight which is great.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:43 am
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
Btw, Joon isn't fully BOB anymore: they have started offering cookies or cake.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:23 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
My father recently flew Joon on UK -> CDG -> CAI in J...he really enjoyed it.

He enjoyed the more relaxed atmosphere. I was a bit surprised at this but he said he preferred the more easy going atmosphere...

Though this could be tainted by the fact he had a flat bed seat on this route when normally he is stuck on a LH A320 or something.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Joon ops will end in June. Here are the details for dates by route :
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...ate-june-2019/
JOUY31, Fabo.sk and Lewis42 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.