Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a chance that AF finally send widebodies to TLV?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2017, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it still the case that leisure = Y and business = J?

I don't know about AF's revenue management but BA seems to think those are switching directions, particularly on the shorthaul routes.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
AF A332 to TLV today

AF today sends an A332 to TLV.
If I am not mistaken, this is the first time in years (or decades) that AF sends a widebody to TLV for a scheduled flight.
F-GZCH (A332) is currently flying to TLV.

I hope to see more AF widebodies flying to TLV instead of the A320s... AF used to send their A300s to TLV in 80s/90s IIRC
Old Aug 26, 2020, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by LY777
AF today sends an A332 to TLV.
If I am not mistaken, this is the first time in years (or decades) that AF sends a widebody to TLV for a scheduled flight.
F-GZCH (A332) is currently flying to TLV.

I hope to see more AF widebodies flying to TLV instead of the A320s... AF used to send their A300s to TLV in 80s/90s IIRC
I didn't know that they resumed flights to TLV. Good news.
This being said, do not dream for permanent widebody service to TLV. They also had A332 service to TUN this summer on one flight. This is temporary.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
I didn't know that they resumed flights to TLV. Good news.
This being said, do not dream for permanent widebody service to TLV. They also had A332 service to TUN this summer on one flight. This is temporary.
yes they resumed flights to TLV a while ago, but only once daily though.
I know this is temporary unfortunately...
Old Aug 26, 2020, 7:29 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Actually this has be wondering - both AF and KLM are flying CDG-SFO / AMS-SFO with 777s (AMS-SFO is usually flown with 787 on KLM side). You'd wonder why they don't use smaller aircraft because obviously the plane is exceptionally empty.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Sjondorn
Actually this has be wondering - both AF and KLM are flying CDG-SFO / AMS-SFO with 777s (AMS-SFO is usually flown with 787 on KLM side). You'd wonder why they don't use smaller aircraft because obviously the plane is exceptionally empty.
cargo ?
Old Aug 27, 2020, 12:41 am
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Sjondorn
given the low cargo capacities I would assume that the belly of the B777 was completely full
Old Aug 27, 2020, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Currently, all El Al planes are grounded and their is still demand between France and Israel.
This should explain why AF sent a widebody...
Old Aug 27, 2020, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by LY777
Currently, all El Al planes are grounded and their is still demand between France and Israel.
This should explain why AF sent a widebody...
Given that it was a one-off substitution, it's far more likely that it was done for fleet management/crew hours reasons. Some airlines have had to resort to making their crews take off , looping around, and land again with empty planes just to keep their hours up. Better-run airlines can decide to combine competing needs in ways that involve operating aircraft bigger than necessary when it helps with other needs of the airline apart from accommodating passengers (which, as pax, we selfishly think is the only consideration that moves airlines)

If increased passenger demand was the reason, you would probably instead see larger aircraft routinely scheduled.

And although El Al may not yet be operating, there will soon be 3 other operators plying the route; ASL Airlines recommences with 2 weekly flights as of 17 September, while both Israir and Arkia already have a number of flights weekly.
Note that, for several days next week, AF is operating 2 daily services, and the double daily operation appears to return fully on September 15.

Transavia also operates a number of flights weekly from ORY.
Goldorak likes this.

Last edited by irishguy28; Aug 27, 2020 at 9:58 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.