Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF Europe Business Class Meals?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2013, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Challenge accepted (because I know what they have in Nice ). In return I take you to Dallmayr in Munich. And we'll see
You knew I would accept before you even asked the question! Sounds like a great challenge to me! That makes me think of a place where I'll take you when we finally manage to catch up in London too (if you like madeleines)!!!
Old Jul 11, 2013, 7:04 am

Programs: Many
Spot on San Gottardo !

http://www.la-croix.com/Actualite/Eu...3-07-11-985113

German bread aims at UNESCO World Heritage List !
Old Jul 11, 2013, 7:15 am

Programs: Many
Btw, I find European Y sandwich on KL to be better than J food on AF.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 7:23 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meli silver.
San Gottardo, it depends a lot on which boulangerie you got to, don't you think.

Next to my place, in the countryside, there is a boulangerie that makes the best breads (and croissants, brioches etc) I have eaten so far (I AM fussy when it comes to this kind of things and used to live in Paris where it is supposed to be the place for the best baguettes).

Regarding variety at this baker's, beside the boring basic baguette:

- tradition made with Label rouge flour (in baguette and ball shape). Unless the weather is very humid, it is still good in the evening, and even the next morning.
- pain Picard made with a mix of wheat and spelt (pautre)
- pain de campagne (in different shapes and sizes)
- baguette with cereals
- baguette provenale
- ciabatta
- corde made with a mix of wheat and rye. Perfect for oysters, because rye only is too heavy.
- pain de mie
- pain brioch. A marvel with foie gras. Much better than pain de mie which I used to use till I tried the pain brioch.
- and more I am sure.

All in one shop.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
an amazing local wood-fired fougasse and/or a fabulous 'pain de montagne' coming straight down from the Southern Alps!
grr... Did you have to mention these ones? My favourites at my local bakery back in Provence and I am a good 1000km away from there right now and can only salivate in frustration... ... although whether our local 'pain de montagne' is comparable to yours or is in fact a totally different one, I do not know....

Agree with you on pain de campagne, though. The thing is, it is such a generic term ("pain au levain" being also another one of that kind) that it can give rise to excellent interpretations as well as revolting ones.

What makes bread interesting in France is that it is still (although this is slowly disappearing under the influence of the Pauls and Poilanes of this world ) an artisanal product. Therefore, you are going to get significant variations in quality from one bakery to another, with some being good at certain things and others at other things (and some good at absolutely nothing ).

I also agree with San Gottardo's broad characterisation of breads in the German and French traditions. German breads have never really been my thing personally (on the whole a little too, how shall we say, 'filling'), although I can see why they can appeal to others.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meli silver.
Originally Posted by NickB
(...)(on the whole a little too, how shall we say, 'filling'), (...)
Brtchen (aka Semmel) can be nice and not heavy (don't last though, same as basic baguette)....
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NickB
grr... Did you have to mention these ones? My favourites at my local bakery back in Provence and I am a good 1000km away from there right now and can only salivate in frustration... ... although whether our local 'pain de montagne' is comparable to yours or is in fact a totally different one, I do not know....

Agree with you on pain de campagne, though. The thing is, it is such a generic term ("pain au levain" being also another one of that kind) that it can give rise to excellent interpretations as well as revolting ones.

What makes bread interesting in France is that it is still (although this is slowly disappearing under the influence of the Pauls and Poilanes of this world ) an artisanal product. Therefore, you are going to get significant variations in quality from one bakery to another, with some being good at certain things and others at other things (and some good at absolutely nothing ).

I also agree with San Gottardo's broad characterisation of breads in the German and French traditions. German breads have never really been my thing personally (on the whole a little too, how shall we say, 'filling'), although I can see why they can appeal to others.
Fully agree with you as usual! I love both fougasse provencale and fougasse nicoise. It rings of xmas marvels as well as best ever snack when it has just been bought and you dip a bit of it in your local olive oil with a bit of fleur de sel. Un delice! Sorry if I make you salivate more but considering what I know of your travel destination this month, I know you will be in another place where food can be magnificent!

I think that the point you make about bread being artisanal and unique and what it implies is crucial indeed. As you say, "pain de campagne" (or indeed pain au levain or the increasingly widespread "boules bio") can mean everything from a 'Carrefour' standard to a disgusting dry and brownish loaf of bread to a stunning wood-fired thick crust bread which smells across the whole house! I have had some disgusting pains de montagne, but the one of my local baker in Nice is simply fabulous. Both very crusty and very soft, with a slightly sour taste of spelt, and which will easily keep for a full week. I have seen other pains de montagne, good or bad, with no resemblance to this whatsoever. Most bakeries also have some sort of 'pain du patron' which could cover any aspect of a vast bread world!

I never buy Paul or Poilane, I am against standardisation of what needn't be standardised, and food is pretty high up that particular list! On that note, and in the spirit of fusion food, I'm going to bake my home made pita bread!
Old Jul 11, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by carnarvon
San Gottardo, it depends a lot on which boulangerie you got to, don't you think.

Next to my place, in the countryside, there is a boulangerie that makes the best breads (and croissants, brioches etc) I have eaten so far (I AM fussy when it comes to this kind of things and used to live in Paris where it is supposed to be the place for the best baguettes).

Regarding variety at this baker's, beside the boring basic baguette:

- tradition made with Label rouge flour (in baguette and ball shape). Unless the weather is very humid, it is still good in the evening, and even the next morning.
- pain Picard made with a mix of wheat and spelt (pautre)
- pain de campagne (in different shapes and sizes)
- baguette with cereals
- baguette provenale
- ciabatta
- corde made with a mix of wheat and rye. Perfect for oysters, because rye only is too heavy.
- pain de mie
- pain brioch. A marvel with foie gras. Much better than pain de mie which I used to use till I tried the pain brioch.
- and more I am sure.

All in one shop.
That's all? Just in the dark bread department there is more in a good German bakery.

Seriously, I prefer a French bakery to a German one, but that has more to do with the fact that most German bakeries are parts of chains that distribute some pre-fabricated stuff and with the fact that they are poor in the viennoiserie and patisserie range of products which I particularly like.

But on the point of diversity, there is more in Germany.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
That's all? Just in the dark bread department there is more in a good German bakery.

But on the point of diversity, there is more in Germany.
You are correct about the schwarz Brot. But I do not like it much. LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.